Rules too complicated?

Farmergolf

Drink Milk
Reaction score
Handicap
Unknown
I will probably get roasted for this on a great golf forum but I can handle it. I saw on Reddit someone talking about playing a unplayable lie in a bunker and reading the replies got me thinking are golf rules too complicated? First I am just a very casual weekend golfer, just now getting more into golf because my 13 year old son loves it. So I dont know the rules well. But the replies were so confusing, can take it here for one stroke penalty, do this and two stroke, can put ball here but not there. That is just for a simple ball in bunker, not to mention all the water hazard rules, knowing what the different color poles by a water hazard supposed to mean and the seemingly endless rules. Is there two standards for rules, like pros and people really good vs the weekend hacker? I mean when I play I hit it in water I drop one and just take penalty stroke . I do think golf course etiquette is important and I respect the course but do any others kinda simplify the rules and play how I do or does everyone know and follow all golf rules? Got out with my son first time this season this week, both shot 53, so obviously I am terrible but he was excited and pretty sure he will be much better than me by end of season which is exciting, he just loves golf. Thanks for the time.

Well, I read somewhere that the IRS tax code was modeled after the rules of golf. :)

I don't know that they're too complicated, but I do think it helps if you have been introduced to the game by a person who knows the rules. I am self taught and only really play with one other guy, who is also self taught. We try to understand the rules as best we can and play by them, but are still confused by a lot of them.

The rules of golf are way too complicated. ie - see all of the penalty decisions in the rules of golf. When you see people who do it for a living get hung up on certain decisions, it's too damn complicated.

In general, the rules are pretty easy to go by.

what most people find complicated are the specific scenarios (ie the decisions) which can get confusing, but for the most part, are pretty straight forward (to me). There are of course some tough ones, that rarely come up. Also, knowing appropriate verbiage for rules helps to understand them a lot. Ie: may, must, etc

Also, knowing appropriate verbiage for rules helps to understand them a lot. Ie: may, must, etc

I feel like that is more complicated than it needs to be haha.

For the most part the rules are easy, and as PapaJohick said, it is the .1 .2 .3 and a,b,c are the problem parts of the rules.

Do the best you can and enjoy the game.

If you play the ball as it lies, take stroke & distance for lost ball/OB, and take 2 club lengths for lateral hazards, that covers 95% of play for casual golfers.

I do agree that the other 5% can be complicated, but it just doesn't come into play that often. The stuff that gives the pros fits is usually inherent to the pro game (i.e. relief from grandstands, ball in spectator's chair, ball moves on the green).

That's why there are Rules Officials on the PGA Tour ... THEY don't even know all the rules.

My rule of thumb is remember the common one's to abide by .... Play the ball as it lies, provisional ball, where to drop at a red stake, etc. If there is a question, play on as you see fit & don't worry about it. Someone will be able to answer it later for you.

There should be two sets of rules .... one of the Pro's & competitive amateurs .... and one for us general hacks who just get out for exercise & hit the ball from point A to point B & hit it again.

I will probably get roasted for this on a great golf forum but I can handle it. I saw on Reddit someone talking about playing a unplayable lie in a bunker and reading the replies got me thinking are golf rules too complicated? First I am just a very casual weekend golfer, just now getting more into golf because my 13 year old son loves it. So I dont know the rules well. But the replies were so confusing, can take it here for one stroke penalty, do this and two stroke, can put ball here but not there. That is just for a simple ball in bunker, not to mention all the water hazard rules, knowing what the different color poles by a water hazard supposed to mean and the seemingly endless rules. Is there two standards for rules, like pros and people really good vs the weekend hacker? I mean when I play I hit it in water I drop one and just take penalty stroke . I do think golf course etiquette is important and I respect the course but do any others kinda simplify the rules and play how I do or does everyone know and follow all golf rules? Got out with my son first time this season this week, both shot 53, so obviously I am terrible but he was excited and pretty sure he will be much better than me by end of season which is exciting, he just loves golf. Thanks for the time.

oh and just to add....

Bunker one is super easy. take relief inside bunker, only one shot

take relief out side bunker, take 2.

That's why there are Rules Officials on the PGA Tour ... THEY don't even know all the rules.

My rule of thumb is remember the common one's to abide by .... Play the ball as it lies, provisional ball, where to drop at a red stake, etc. If there is a question, play on as you see fit & don't worry about it. Someone will be able to answer it later for you.

There should be two sets of rules .... one of the Pro's & competitive amateurs .... and one for us general hacks who just get out for exercise & hit the ball from point A to point B & hit it again.

Bifurcation is a necessary thing imo. just not how most people think of it.

Like you said, there needs to be rules for Competitive rounds (official comps such as professional, HIGH tier am events, and the Am qualifying events for opens), and then a little more dumbed down, or i guess simpler in reference to this thread, for your everyday round.

This is kinda what I was thinking. Just keep it simple, not playing for anything other than fun. All I read is golf popularity is way down from the peak and courses are closing, lets get it more popular with keeping it simple and get people out playing! This is really case with younger people like my son, they are not going to learn/follow a bunch of hard to understand rules, they just want to play and follow basic set of rules.

There's a lot of rules in golf but I think most golfers can play close to the rules just following the simple ideas of

1. Play it as it lies
2. Stroke and Distance for lost ball/OB
3. 2 club lengths for red stakes (yes there are other options)

Get yourself a copy of the Original 13 Rules, and play on.

Rules can be complicated. Or not. It's up to you.

Nobody says you have to play by the rule 100% of the time. If you don't compete or keep a handicap, I don't care if you pick your ball out of the water hazard or fluff your lie in the rough. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff. Just don't be a dick on, or to, the course.

Rules can be complicated. Or not. It's up to you.

Nobody says you have to play by the rule 100% of the time. If you don't compete or keep a handicap, I don't care if you pick your ball out of the water hazard or fluff your lie in the rough. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff. Just don't be a dick on, or to, the course.

This. Word for word. Just know that if you're playing "relaxed" rules and you shoot a 29 and your son, buddy, playing partner, etc. is playing by the RoG and shoots a 54, then you didn't beat them. Whether that matters is entirely up to you, but it definitely needs to be part of the discussion.

I agree with many of the other posts above. If you just play the ball as it lies, hit provisionals liberally, etc., then you're well on your way.

I can probably count on one hand the rules in question over the last few years with my groups, it's rare that anything happens where the rules aren't clear for everyone.

So no, the rules are not complicated at their core, but there are some funky things that happen from time to time, no need to kill the book because of that though.

oh and just to add....

Bunker one is super easy. take relief inside bunker, only one shot

take relief out side bunker, take 2.

Or stroke and distance

A roasting just doesn’t happen here. Ive deserved a couple early on and it was always civil. There are a few purists that love the rules. The vast majority here mostly agree with you. I could go either way on bifurcation or just making them easier all around. I started keeping a HC so I try to play by them. The courses I play most, probably 90% of the golfers I play with are just out to have fun (as am I but I want my HC to be legit). I don’t care either way. My dad plays by his rules, which basically just means he is going to have a good lie no matter what. He won’t foot wedge the ball and otherwise plays by the rules. He has more fun that way and I’ll even let him say he beat me when I’m playing by The Rules and he’s playing by His Rules. Because it just doesn’t matter. I’d rather he be having fun and hitting some good shots, and if he beats me (I give him a number of shots), he can claim it and it doesn’t bother me at all. I’m just glad we can golf together.

A roasting just doesn’t happen here. Ive deserved a couple early on and it was always civil. There are a few purists that love the rules. The vast majority here mostly agree with you. I could go either way on bifurcation or just making them easier all around. I started keeping a HC so I try to play by them. The courses I play most, probably 90% of the golfers I play with are just out to have fun (as am I but I want my HC to be legit). I don’t care either way. My dad plays by his rules, which basically just means he is going to have a good lie no matter what. He won’t foot wedge the ball and otherwise plays by the rules. He has more fun that way and I’ll even let him say he beat me when I’m playing by The Rules and he’s playing by His Rules. Because it just doesn’t matter. I’d rather he be having fun and hitting some good shots, and if he beats me (I give him a number of shots), he can claim it and it doesn’t bother me at all. I’m just glad we can golf together.

Couldn’t agree with this more. Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back