Same grip for chips?

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you all use the same grip for chips...i'm not talking anything close to a pitch. Nothing that would bring the club head above 1/4.

Or is it more common to use a different style of grip for those chips?

I'm talking interlock, baseball, etc....

I keep it the same for everything, but we've seen some trends even on tour of crosshand or changing it up. I can't lie, I've tried switching it up, but haven't found more success personally

Same grip for all except driver.

Last edited:
Depends on the play. If I'm doing a heel-up chip with an iron, I'll grip it like I do my putter and make a putter stroke. If I'm chipping with a wedge, standard grip.

Depends on if im dipping them in Salsa or not...

Just kidding. I typically use the same grip but the cross handed stuff that a few on tour have been using has been interesting lately. May try that.

Same grip type but significantly weaker for finesse wedge shots as per Mr Pelz....

A

Same grip but I'll weaken my right hand to keep from closing the face as much on some.

Depends on if im dipping them in Salsa or not...

Just kidding. I typically use the same grip but the cross handed stuff that a few on tour have been using has been interesting lately. May try that.
i tried practicing that and it was so awkward. i repeatedly thinned it over and over...until i starting chunking it a foot behind the ball lol

I even putt left hand low so i thought it would be an easy transition but i hated it

I use the same grip for every club and every shot including the putter.

Same grip for all things other than putts.

I use the same grip for everything except putting.

I use the same grip. Even my putting grip is pretty similar to everything else though a slight bit different.

Yes. Any swing club I use interlock.

I tried overlap and baseball for awhile but keeping the same grip just feels best.

Overlap for everything since I picked up my first club, reverse overlap for putting.

Putting is the only time my grip changes.

Traditional golf teaching is that for greenside chipping use a textbook reverse overlap putting grip. The reason for this is that it will quiet the hands-wrists throughout the chipping stroke. I believe Tiger uses this technique.

Back