Same shaft in driver and fairway wood?

TahoeDan

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rising
I recently got fitted for a new driver and the shaft they put me in is the best match over anything I have used in the past. I just got an email from Callaway for 50% trade-in bonus and have really wanted to get a 3 HL. As I was building it they offer the same shaft for no additional upcharge. Am I correct in assuming since I get along with the shaft in the driver I should get along with it in a fairway wood? And do I go up to the next weight, driver is 60g so get the fairway in 70g?

It's not always the case, BUT I had linq purple in my driver and both of my fwy woods, just went up in weight like you said. now I have the linq blue in driver, linq purple in 3w and just ordered 5w w/ linq blue. Since Blue replaced purple it's why I went that way, but it's worked out well for me. It's not always the case though.

I've had drivers and fairways match. Sometimes identical weights, sometimes 10g between the driver and 3w. Definitely comes down to what works for you vs what doesn't, but it's not a bad play.

I had matching shafts in my Ping G425 Max driver, 3 wood and 4 hybrid- Tensei AV Orange stiff.

I had problems with feeling where the clubhead was with my driver, so I changed to the AV Blue regular flex and absolutely love it.

Kept the orange stiff in 3W and 4h and its working out well. I don't feel the need to change them out at all.

I use the Helium 5F3 in my driver, and had those in my FWs as well. I decided to try the Evenflow Riptide CBs (65gr) in the FWs and that’s been working out better for me.

I have different shafts and I have been hit for driver and 3w. My 3w is also heavier. I could see the same shaft potentially working however driver and 3w are different swings at least for me. The driver is more forward in my stance and trying to swing up. 3w is level to slightly down and set more back in my stance. That could require different shafts.

I recently got fitted for a new driver and the shaft they put me in is the best match over anything I have used in the past. I just got an email from Callaway for 50% trade-in bonus and have really wanted to get a 3 HL. As I was building it they offer the same shaft for no additional upcharge. Am I correct in assuming since I get along with the shaft in the driver I should get along with it in a fairway wood? And do I go up to the next weight, driver is 60g so get the fairway in 70g?
Same shaft in driver and fairway wood, either the same weight or 10g in the fairway, is a very, Very, VERY safe play, assuming you love the shaft in the driver. Order with confidence!

Last edited:
Same shaft in driver and fairway wood, either the same weight or 10g in the fairway, is a very, Very, VERY safe play, assuming you love the shaft in the driver. Order with confidence?
I was recently at a Callaway demo day trying the Max D Driver and Max D 3HL. The rep recommended 10g more in the fairway but I was trying the driver with a very lightweight shaft. I was very comfortable with those two shafts and weights.

90% of the time I go with same shaft in driver and woods.

Some of last year I went with typical "low/low" ( Lin-Q white) driver shaft and then a softer profile (Lin-Q Blue) in the fairway. I liked the fairway feel but I had more of a tendency to miss left. Overall I loved how the fairway performed bc it was easier to swing but it brought more of a miss in to play

I'm playing the new Paradym Ai Smoke MAX driver, 3wd and a Paradym Super Hybrid. All have the same HZRDUS RDX Smoke Red shafts. The shafts in the driver and 3wd are the same weight but I went up 10g in the hybrid.

I play the same lightweight shaft in Driver and 3W.

Worls ok but it doesn't feel the same. Different length and head size means slightly different swing weight.

It’s a relatively safe bet but not guaranteed. I don’t think you would notice a significant difference though

I like going with the same shaft, just 10g heavier in the fairway.

I do, Ventus Blue 6s in each.

I don't think it should be a hard and fast 'rule' but it makes sense for me this cycle.

I'm playing the new Paradym Ai Smoke MAX driver, 3wd and a Paradym Super Hybrid. All have the same HZRDUS RDX Smoke Red shafts. The shafts in the driver and 3wd are the same weight but I went up 10g in the hybrid.
Ok, after seeing my signature I see I'm playing the 60g shaft in both driver and 3wd but 80g in my hybrid. I can't remember but I'll bet I intended on ordering the 70g shaft for me 3wd. Doesn't matter though, I'm vey happy with the matching 60g shafts.

I used to always match profiles, but with a heavier version in my fairways, 60g class driver and 70g class fairway.
That was when I was younger, stronger and faster.
My Paradym 3HL has a 60g ALDILA NV regular in it now, and the back up has SIM2 Max has the same in 75g
Now I'm about to get a 5wd with a 50g class shaft in it, and a higher launching profile as well.

Im gonna say no… i think the shaft gets too wobbly u should move up in weight and tip it probably imo this is just personal experience but i had 70gram shaft i bought for my driver and it felt a little heavy so i moved it to the 3 wood n it felt very wobbly

Back