Sandestin/Destin golf

Parrot

2025 Worldwide Golf Championship - Team ?????
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm playing Raven at Sandestin next weekend. I have time for one more round (I missed a tee time at Burnt Pine by 5 minutes).

Has anyone played down there recently? Any feedback on conditions at Emerald Bay, Regatta Bay, Kelly Plantation or Indian Bayou? Windswept Dunes?

Headed there this summer, I've never played Florida golf, following for updates ;)

Windswept Dunes is my favorite and is usually less crowded. All the others you listed are usually kept in great shape and will all play & feel very similar. Out of those Kelly Plantation is the best IMO.

There is another course at Sandestin called The Links which personally I enjoy more than Raven & Burnt Pine. It is definitely not going to be as nice as the others but it has the best views and layout of all four courses at the resort.

If price doesn’t matter, Kelly’s Plantation is very nice. Been a couple/3 years since I was there though.

I went with Regatta Bay for my second round. I like Kelly but Regatta had better tee time options for me.

Windswept is great but a bit out of the way for this trip.

I was able to get on at Burnt Pine tomorrow. Still going with Regatta Bay on Saturday.

A little about the course I played today. It’s a Rees Jones course.

I played the 2 tees. Some were on the same tee box as the 1s and others served as that hole’s member tee as well. The greens (tifdwarf Bermuda, I think) were 10.6 on the stomp today. In a month, they’ll be perfect and running 12+. The fairways are Bermuda and are fairly generous.

It has a nice practice area. The Pro shop is well-stocked. The hospitality and service is excellent and what you would expect a very private course.

I was able to play because we are staying at the resort. The course keeps several tee times for resort guests but they are limited to certain times. You can play if you aren’t staying on property if your club pro, assistant prior GM call and arrange the time for you.

Sorry i did not see this earlier as I vacation in Destin every year and used to live there. You made a great choice in Burnt Pine and Emerald Bay. I generally play the Raven when in town. Used as the Chamions Tour Event spot for the Blue Angle Classic for a couple of years before they moved it to Washington state as the Boeing Classic,

Sorry i did not see this earlier as I vacation in Destin every year and used to live there. You made a great choice in Burnt Pine and Emerald Bay. I generally play the Raven when in town. Used as the Chamions Tour Event spot for the Blue Angle Classic for a couple of years before they moved it to Washington state as the Boeing Classic,
We love to come here, usually at least twice a year. It’s an easy 6 1/2 drive for us. We usually stay out 30A. Haven’t stayed in Destin proper in a lot of years.

We’ll be down again in July for a week.

Go yearly- and looking forward to my July trip again this year. Usually play 2-3 rounds while down there and have always just rotated my courses: Kelly/Regata/Indian/Raven and discovered Windswept two years ago. Hadn't heard of Burnt Pine but will likely add that to the rotation for this year.

Anyone going to be in Destin the last of June/ 1st of July and want to play? :unsure::unsure:

Looks like a fog delay.

B813B66D-CA3F-469B-82D8-091BD8959302.jpeg

Debating whether to play Regatta Bay or Kelly Plantation in Destin. I love Kelly Plantation but am thinking of giving Regatta bay a try again now that they’ve redone the greens, tee boxes and bunkers. I was so disappointed in Regatta Bay last time I played it a few years ago. I absolutely love Kelly plantation.

I love playing Kelly and I like Regatta but have not played it after the rework either. But i always play Kelly whenever i get the chance

Regatta Bay was in pretty good shape back in mid-March. I expect it will be really nice now.

Yeah... will be down there that same week. Where are you playing? I've been down there a couple of times but never played.
Not sure! I've never been there, so I don't even know what courses are in the area. But I'm up to pick one and play and always welcome good company!

Not sure! I've never been there, so I don't even know what courses are in the area. But I'm up to pick one and play and always welcome good company!
I'm happy to answer any questions you have. If you are in Destin proper, Indian Bayou is a good choice that is easy to get to. Going east from there, you have Kelly Plantation and Regatta Bay that have been mentioned in this thread then Emerald Bay and the courses at Sandestin. Windswept Dunes is a fun track that is always in great condition but is about an hour away.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have. If you are in Destin proper, Indian Bayou is a good choice that is easy to get to. Going east from there, you have Kelly Plantation and Regatta Bay that have been mentioned in this thread then Emerald Bay and the courses at Sandestin. Windswept Dunes is a fun track that is always in great condition but is about an hour away.
I've been to Destin 1 time, I know nothing about the area. I know we're basically across the road from Indian Bayou.

I've been to Destin 1 time, I know nothing about the area. I know we're basically across the road from Indian Bayou.
That looks nice. Always encouraged by a lack of houses throughout the course... We are staying near Miramar Beach.

We'll be down at Cumberland this weekend. Hoping to play Burnside Island and do some boatin'...

As we get closer, let's plan to find a course and meet up!

We always stay at Holiday Surf and Racquet club on Gulf Shore Drive. i Uber to the golf course which is why I stick with Kelly or Regata. I think I’m just going to stick Kelly because I like it so much and have never been disappointed.

We always stay at Holiday Surf and Racquet club on Gulf Shore Drive. i Uber to the golf course which is why I stick with Kelly or Regata. I think I’m just going to stick Kelly because I like it so much and have never been disappointed.
Kelly is never a bad choice. If you have time and want to for another round, look at Burnt Pine. It's the private track at Sandestin but your club's pro or GM can make a call and get you on. It is about another 10-15 minutes (depending on traffic) east of Kelly.

I wanted to give an update. I ended up playing Kelly and Regatta bay and maybe I’m just getting spoiled but neither really impressed me this time around.

I would still give Kelly a leg up just because the greens were more consistent and much faster. The Regatta Bay greens were slow and very inconsistent from green to green.

I think Regatta Bay has bigger issues going on than what the renovation could fix. The greens had a lot of patches and several places near the fringe that were completely dead due to that black fungus/slime I see on greens. My guess is that there are underlying issues that really require a complete green renovation instead of a partial renovation.
Kelly Plantation just felt worn. Everything was good but not great.

Last edited:
I wanted to give an update. I ended up playing Kelly and Regatta bay and maybe I’m just getting spoiled but neither really impressed me this time around.

I would still give Kelly a leg up just because the greens were more consistent and much faster. The Regatta Bay greens were slow and very inconsistent from green to green.

I think Regatta Bay has bigger issues going on than what the renovation could fix. The greens had a lot of patches and several places near the fringe that were completely dead due to that black fungus/slime I see on greens. My guess is that there are underlying issues that really require a complete green renovation instead of a partial renovation.
Kelly Plantation just felt worn. Everything was good but little waa

Play Burnt Pine next time. I had more fun on it. It doesn’t get as much play as Regatta or Kelly. Camp Creek is another good choice. It and Burnt Pine are the 2 best down there.

Back