Scammer interactions

PackersGirl

2022 Grandaddy Alum
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve had quite a bit of scammers calling me lately. I picked up one time and this guy threatened me because I didn’t respond to a “notice in the mail”. So, I told them to send the county sheriff’s office to my house. Guy said they don’t do that anymore, that is so last year. 🤣 Suuuuure you’re with the Greenville County courthouse. Oh, you’ll call my family and tell them all about this important notice I didn’t respond to? You’ll garnish my wages too?! Oh my!
I had another one Friday. This was through text. Guy of course sent me an “accidental” text and then wanted to talk. He asked if I had ever been to Seattle. I said no, but my Dad works for the FBI (not true but was trying to bait him) and he said there are lots of scammers there so be careful. The text message guys comes back and starts calling me names and saying my Dad is dead. I told him he was one of the rudest scammers I’ve ever met. He stopped responding.

Idiots.

so, what funny interactions have you had with scammers? I know @Hibs loves to chit chat with them. Does anyone else?

Most times when someone sends me a text about selling my house I tell them 10 million and it is theirs. Haven't had any takers yet.

I picked up one of the car warranty calls on my work cell one time and I just said sure I will hit the button to talk to a person. The guy asked me which car I wanted more info on. I said it would either be for the Bugatti or the Ferrari as they are close to needing service and he hung up on me. How rude. :ROFLMAO:

This is one of my favorite hobbies and it annoys my wife to no end :LOL: sometimes I just let them listen to PGA Tour Live and other times we have a conversation where everything is made up and the points don’t matter. If they’re calling about my car warranty, I see how long it takes them to realize I’m talking about a Huffy bicycle.

This is one of my favorite hobbies and it annoys my wife to no end :LOL: sometimes I just let them listen to PGA Tour Live and other times we have a conversation where everything is made up and the points don’t matter. If they’re calling about my car warranty, I see how long it takes them to realize I’m talking about a Huffy bicycle.
That is too funny!!!! What’s your record before they realize you’re talking about a bicycle?

That is too funny!!!! What’s your record before they realize you’re talking about a bicycle?
Oh man almost 10 minutes. Reception is usually terrible and I have to repeat myself a lot.

That is so hilarious!!
Occasionally I’ll just take a deep breath and shout NOOOOOOO until I run out of breath, but it’s not fun when they’re still on the line when I’m done or if they do the same back to me. I figure the longer I keep them on the line, the more time they’re not calling someone else who may fall for it.

Occasionally I’ll just take a deep breath and shout NOOOOOOO until I run out of breath, but it’s not fun when they’re still on the line when I’m done or if they do the same back to me. I figure the longer I keep them on the line, the more time they’re not calling someone else who may fall for it.
I do think about the elderly that may fall for these scams. Breaks my heart and makes me mad that there are people like that out there.

I have it so those phone calls are silenced and 99.9% of those do not leave a message. Be careful of any interaction with these POS! There are just too many ways these scammers can get a hold of your info thru phishing texts and whatnot. Back in the days of landlines I loved having a "nice" talk with scammers but now its not worth giving them the time of day.

I didn't change my Alabama phone number when I moved back to Ohio. Almost all the scammer calls come from that same area code. I don't answer.

I let them go to the answering machine. My machine starts with “Hello” so they think it’s an actual person. I let them talk to the answering machine until they can figure it out.

I just don't ever pick up unless it's someone from my contacts or I'm expecting a call.
Lately I've been semi-addicted to watching Scammer Payback on Youtube. He's pretty funny and does a great job antagonizing them.

I do think about the elderly that may fall for these scams. Breaks my heart and makes me mad that there are people like that out there.
And that's the problem. They must have some success. My mother in law who is pretty sharp got a call claiming it was my nephew and he had been arrested out of Town. Said he sounded different because he was in an accident and broke his jaw. Asked her not to tell his parents.Guy gets on the phone and tells her he needs $1,500 in I Tune cards so he can post bail. Said he was going to call her back. Had I not gotten her call she would have done it because she couldn't think straight thinking my nephew was in trouble.I got there took the call and told him I was a Lawyer and would deliver the cash where can we meet. He says when did you figure it out and I said right away . I also googled the number he called from and found multiple posts saying " Grandma scam ". Called the Sheriffs Dept and they said even with a phone number they just can't get these guys because more likely than not they are out of the Country. These guys preying on seniors are the worst of the worst

AT&T call protect free use it and don't receive calls anymore.

And that's the problem. They must have some success. My mother in law who is pretty sharp got a call claiming it was my nephew and he had been arrested out of Town. Said he sounded different because he was in an accident and broke his jaw. Asked her not to tell his parents.Guy gets on the phone and tells her he needs $1,500 in I Tune cards so he can post bail. Said he was going to call her back. Had I not gotten her call she would have done it because she couldn't think straight thinking my nephew was in trouble.I got there took the call and told him I was a Lawyer and would deliver the cash where can we meet. He says when did you figure it out and I said right away . I also googled the number he called from and found multiple posts saying " Grandma scam ". Called the Sheriffs Dept and they said even with a phone number they just can't get these guys because more likely than not they are out of the Country. These guys preying on seniors are the worst of the worst

i’ve had too many elderly clients with cognitive issues get swindled for more money than they can afford. there’s a special place in hell for people who prey on the vulnerable.

My wife got hit by a scammer when selling on FB market, they said they had to zelle her and showed her a "receipt" for 500 and that zelle required that amount and she needed to refund 300 & stupidly she did... It was a tense couple weeks after that :mad:

If I don't recognize the Caller ID, or it comes up "Unknown", I don't answer it. Leave a message and if you're not a scammer I'll call back. Also have Verizon Call Filter, which blocks a lot of the scammers/spammers.

Once in a while just for fun I'll pick it up and answer with something like "Los Angeles Police Department, Homicide Division, how can I help you?" :ROFLMAO:

If I don't recognize the Caller ID, or it comes up "Unknown", I don't answer it. Leave a message and if you're not a scammer I'll call back. Also have Verizon Call Filter, which blocks a lot of the scammers/spammers.

Once in a while just for fun I'll pick it up and answer with something like "Los Angeles Police Department, Homicide Division, how can I help you?" :ROFLMAO:

Also have Verizon Call Filter, and it works pretty good, plus there are Youmail and Robokiller

I don't see the point in wasting your own time listening or engaging with them.

If its cold callers I just tell them "no thanks not interested" and put the phone down.

I don't see the point in wasting your own time listening or engaging with them.

If its cold callers I just tell them "no thanks not interested" and put the phone down.
Sometimes boredom gets the best of me.

Back