Kid Frisco

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Ultimately rounds are judged good or bad by score. My last four rounds with a new bag of clubs (all 14) have been commensurate with or a shade higher than my ghin but they felt “ugly”.

Very few pure shots and a lot of doubles…nothing that makes me think I’m going to shoot lower scores in the future. I actually feel like I’m getting worse.

It’s got me thinking I’d rather take a higher score if there were some wow shots and a few more birdies vs. mediocre rounds with nothing to write home about.

Crazy thinking?

When I bought new clubs last year it took me probably 6 or 8 rounds plus 4 or 5 range sessions to finally start making solid contact with them. Stick with them, they will come around

I can get behind that thinking. I've had rounds like you described where nothing felt right but you scored okay. I felt frustrated after. I've also had rounds where I've had some absolute perfect pure shots that led to good scores but the rest of the round wasn't great. I still felt okay after those because it shows you have the capability to do it. It's just doing it regularly. On the good scores with no good shots, it feels like it's unsustainable success and I don't want to score well that way. So I get where you're coming from for sure!

But they are new clubs. You'll get the hang of them and you'll be hitting those good shots AND scoring well!

The nickname I've been given repeatedly on the golf course by many people is "Boring". Does that answer your question?

I can completely understand that feeling, it's how most of my rounds have been going lately. But it's that desire to improve that keeps me coming back - knowing that I have it in me to string together a set of good shots!

Would rather “the score” ,,, this is the collective result of a round , not highlights ,of good shots ,which may or may not contribute to the aggregate score.

Alternatively , the good shot may be the only thing that, could be taken away from the round ( looking for a positive ),

Rarely see good shots unless your in the group , no one can deny the scorecard as evidence )

The nickname I've been given repeatedly on the golf course by many people is "Boring". Does that answer your question?

Fairway and Greens is boring to be honest. Played with a former walk-on at UF (long time ago, one of my instructors), good player needless to say. BORING. Fairway and greens. The most interesting part of his round was on number 11. Went off the fairway had to hit a big right to left swinger into the greens.... He hit it and two putted.... Boring. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Crazy thinking?
Not at all. Golf is different things to different folks.

I'm the opposite in that I hit great shots all the time to go along with the crappy scores. Since it's human nature to want what we can't have, I'd live with mediocre shots if it led to better scores.

Not at all. Golf is different things to different folks.

I'm the opposite in that I hit great shots all the time to go along with the crappy scores. Since it's human nature to want what we can't have, I'd live with mediocre shots if it led to better scores.

Good point. In recent years I have become a total floor golfer, that part of my game has increased. Rarely do I have a true double par blow up hole. Double bogeys sure, I have them quite often and usually a round of 6 pars is an exciting day. But if I was to really tiger up my game I would probably get another par and 4 quads.... LOL To your point it most certainly a capability thing.

I tend to find more athletic golfers having higher ceilings and more practiced and strategical golfers (self awareness) have a higher floor. Of course you can have both lol....... That's not me.

Regardless good post! (To your question directly, Score all day every day). Isn't that name of the game?

Last edited:
Shots.

I didn't play "well" in league tonight, but I played good enough on certain holes and from certain positions to win 10.5 out of 12 possibly points in my match.

Up and down for bogey or double is still fun when it wind the hole. 😁

Same goes for awesome recovery shots and long putts

Shots for me. I know if I hit good shots the score will come. While the opposite is true if I am hitting bad shots and scoring I know its not going to last and their are bigger problems lurking in my game possibly.

Score. The fact that you’re still posting a decent score when you feel like you’re not hitting the ball that well is indicative of your skill as a golfer. There’s your positive take away! Additionally, it should reinforce the notion that a realistic upside to your game exists.

I'd much rather have better score. Most rounds I have shots here and there that I felt like were really good, but I would much rather score better, even if I didn't feel like any of the shots were that impressive or great.

Don't get discouraged with the new sticks, just takes some time to get used to sometimes.

Shots, definitely.

I can scramble and get up and down for a decent score sometimes but it doesn't give me any confidence for the next time out and I don't really feel like I'm actually playing good golf. If my ball striking is good I can definitively look back at the round and see where I left strokes on the course (left this chip short, 3 putt this hole, played the wrong side of this green, etc.) and know that I played well but didn't score well *this time*. If I play the same next time I will likely score better.

It's definitely shots for me. Just over the last few rounds I've had times where I've been striking the ball really well but just for some reason not scoring. Whether that be putts lipping out, or one thing or another but the score just didn't come. Likewise I've had a couple of rounds where I've felt like I've played poorly but for some reason I've scrambled well, or escaped trouble and ended up with a reasonable score. So many different variables in this game, just need to play the course as you find it and get the ball in the hole however you can.

IIRC, a survey was done, asking amateurs and pros alike which they would prefer. Amateurs overwhelming chose good ball striking, pros said score. Of course, they get paid based on score and so do we if we are involved in any bets or tournaments. A goof ball striking day feels great, but it is numbers that get put into that little square on the scorecard. The thing about TV coverage these days is that 18 hole coverage reveals that even the pros aren't striping it down the middle every hole. They are all over the place with their ball striking. The challenge of golf is scoring without your best on any given day.

Crappy shots, double (even triple) bogies = not very good score. But one or two "Wow, did you see that!" shots are what makes the round, and golf fun for me.

Id rather hit solid shots and score bad than score well and know i got away with bad shots

mix of both. i can't have the fire melt the trashcan...good shots balance out the less than stellar scoring.

Score - I think if I had a good score that means I'm being consistent. There's nothing wrong with having great shots and they are a lot of fun but if I could go par, bogey, bogey I would be much happier than birdie, bogey, double.

I want it to all be together at the same time.

Score - I think if I had a good score that means I'm being consistent. There's nothing wrong with having great shots and they are a lot of fun but if I could go par, bogey, bogey I would be much happier than birdie, bogey, double.

I want it to all be together at the same time.

This is kind of where I fall. Probably because I am more of a floor golfer who counts on the consistency and smart play over in round heroics. It's how I beat more talented ball strikers when we play against each other....

It is said that golf is a game of misses and failures. With that known score is everything without it you subjected to qualitative analysis which means jack..... A good shot to one person maybe a bad shot to another, but a 69 is always a good score or in my case an 89 lol.

My preference is to score well and not care about how it looks. But when I’ve scored badly, if I’ve striped a few drives and hit some nice iron shots in the round I’m happy to take a bit of solace from it.

Ultimately rounds are judged good or bad by score. My last four rounds with a new bag of clubs (all 14) have been commensurate with or a shade higher than my ghin but they felt “ugly”.

Very few pure shots and a lot of doubles…nothing that makes me think I’m going to shoot lower scores in the future. I actually feel like I’m getting worse.

It’s got me thinking I’d rather take a higher score if there were some wow shots and a few more birdies vs. mediocre rounds with nothing to write home about.

Crazy thinking?

what if some of the good shots cause the high scores? Ie,, final hole a couple weeks ago, a very gettable par 5. Had a titanic drive, sitting 154 out. Grab my 9i, just absolutely pure it...fly the green, hit a down slope and have a 40 yard chip coming back that has a concrete wall in my backswing. When I pulled the 9 I was thinking eagle or birdie at worst...but hitting it so well cost me strokes. Had same thing happen multiple times with my 7i, when I absolutely nut it I miss my target by 30 yards or more. The shot was good...hard to complain about pure contact, gorgeous ball flight...but it is hard to score when you miss the target.

It always leads to mixed emotions. "I hit that really well...now I am punching sideways from behind a tree that should not be in play" lol

Give me the lower score every time.

Back