Scotty Putters, worth the $?

seastrunk

Reaction score
Handicap
Just wondering from those who know more tham I if a Scotty Putter is worth the money? I am looking to updrade my putter, need a 37 inch or 38 inch putter, but not sure if they are worth the money. I have a Cleveland "Allmost Belly Putter" presently

any thoughts?

I wouldn't invest in one until you put it in hand, bro. I went to a PGASS about a month ago and they had about 4 SCs in lefty. I couldn't jive with any one of them. They weren't bad, don't get me wrong. But if I'm spending that much money my putter is going to pick me. I would have forced myself into that club and regretted it the minute that my CC was charged. Putter is just too personal of a club to buy without getting a feel for it.

From a technical perspective, they aren’t magic putters. You are just as likely to putt as good or better with a much cheaper putter. But, if you putt well with one and like it then it could be worth it to you.

I’ve been very happy with my $100 Cleveland putter.

Yep. Been gaming my TM Daytona Rossa for a long time now. Just can't find anything that feels better in my hands and I've tried several times to knock that thing out of the bag just for the sake of something new and I have yet to find that putter.
From a technical perspective, they aren’t magic putters. You are just as likely to putt as good or better with a much cheaper putter. But, if you putt well with one and like it then it could be worth it to you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have one, but I got mine when I had stuff to trade-in so cost was pretty cheap. Are they worth it, that is totally on you but I really like mine and have putted quite well with it. You could really run the cost up with personalization if you wanted to. I wouldn't purchase one with out rolling it or rolling several models. I was able to putt with mine for 1/2 hour on an outdoor green and it made a big difference.

Only one person can answer this for you, and that's yourself. If you are expecting to make more putts just due to the higher price tag you will be disappointed.

I have one. Frankly, I think it feels much worse off the face than either my Cleveland HB or my Toulon. I do like the shape of my Scotty a lot, but that shape is offered by others. I think Scottys are solid putters just not necessarily automatically better than anything else, per se.

The only SC putter I like is the old Bulls Eye flange. The new SC putters are over-priced, along with some others, and they'e geared towards the guy who must have the most expensive putter. Odyssey O-Works are awesome for 1/2 the price. BTW...I've never seen a guy with a SC putter hole out 10 footers after he missed 3 footers with Brand B.

Realistically, they arent worth the money but if you want a putter with the finest craftsmanship, you cant go much better than a Scotty.

I almost bought one a few weeks ago. At the last second I putted with a O-works black #1 and chose that. On sale it was 1/2 the price. I was at the store yesterday and grabbed the SC again and I was even happier with my choice of the Odyssey.

That was my experience. The SC was a lovely putter, but the looks and feels of the O-works black is pretty awesome too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I personally would spend some money and get a putter fitting. This will help you narrow down the putter shape you should be using based on your putter stroke. From there you can narrow down if you prefer an insert or milled face putter.

Once you nail down those two important details I say go try out try every OEM. The thought is the more you spend the better the putter, but that isn’t always true. It purely player dependent.

If you do land on a Scotty there are ways to get one without paying full price if you are on a budget.

No one can you answer that question but you. If a Scotty gives you confidence and you putt better with then yes, they are worth the money. Putters are so personal and what feels right for me may not for you. I recently purchased a SC Newport 2.5 and could not be happier with it so to me yes it was worth the price. I spent at least an hour and a half in the Golf Shop putting with everything and 2.5 felt the best which honestly surprised me as I have always been a mallet guy.

Whether it is worth it or not is up to each and every individual. If you are spending that much on a putter, I'd invest in a putter fitting and make sure you get the RIGHT putter in the bag for you, whatever brand or model it is.

Thanks guys. I going to continue to look. It can be difficult to find a putter, but just keep looking. I do not want to spend that much money and after hearing from you guys, it just reaffirms my thoughts.

In my opinion the answer is completely personal. If you find one that you putt well with than heck yeah it's worth it. Otherwise it's just another putter that didn't work and cost you a lot of money.

A putter is a very personal club that being said if they look good and feel good and you stroke it well then it’s with the money I personally own a few and they are worth every penny I have invested but I am glad that I have a few because I have not found one New version Scotty with an insert on the face that I can get along with lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to echo the sentiment of many of the other here and say it’s really down to personal perferance. Rolls some putts with a Scotty and see what you think. Try to find a comparable putter from a different brand and try them back to back and see which one you like. I have a Scotty and love it but I know guys who they don’t jive with so go with what works the best.

There must be at least 80 members at my club that game Scotty Camerons. I'm unlikely to ever game one because the average Cameron owner at my club looks the part with all the best equipment but very, very few of them are better than a 15 handicap and many of them shoot over 100 regularly. They dress well and drive expensive cars but can't play very well. All hat and no cattle. The great putters at my club that aren't gaming an old Ping are normally using an Odyssey, TM, Edel, or Toulon. I think this is more a California thing because when I'm playing in Minnesota I don't see nearly as many Scotty Camerons and often when I do its in the hands of a really good golfer.

I bought my Cameron 10 years ago for $299. In that time the only other putter I gamed was a Cure I got at THP event. In terms of money spent on golf. It is easily the best money I have ever spent on a club.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agree 1000%. Brand and cost is subjective. I play with a guy who has a $3500 SC 009 and can't get below 40 putts per round, but he looks cool doing so.

If it puts the ball in the hole for you more often than other putters, it is worth the investment. If not, I say it isn't.

Back