Scrambles do they get old?

Interesting to read so many negative comments here regarding chairity scrambles. Even before coming to work in the industry, I always viewed them as a fun day away from the office. A chance to get out with some friends, do some socializing, eat some food, drink a few beers and generally have a good time. I've been on teams that won by 6 shots (without cheating!!) and teams that came in near last, again without cheating. I had a great time each time.

I won't say I'm shocked by everyone claiming cheating is rampant, I suppose it happens. But also get 4 single digit guys on a 6,000 yard course and shooting 55 or better is not unfathomable. Regardless, i don't let the scores bother me and just enjoy the casue and day.

Now that i sell these for a living, I see a slightly different side to them. The organizers generally all mean very well and just want to raise as much money as they can for their cause. They aren't experienced tournament organzieers for the most part, they have real jobs and this is a way they spend their time and efforts to help a cause that's important to them. The most important thing is getting as many people as possible, and raising as much money as possible. They unfortunately most times don't know who is going to cheat or even how to try and avoid it. Really in the grand scheme of things is it that important, that you'd not come back next year to support the cause.

To those that said they would just as soon right a check and not play, that's great that you want to support the charity in any way possible. Have you ever considered paying the fee for a Junior or some other person who may not have the means to play in the event, a great way to get them involved in the sport and also expose them to the charity as well.

Just some different thoughts on it.

I love playing in them. More so for the fun and the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrambles have a place in the game because they are simply the easiest way to manage a mixed group or charity tournament. When you have a bunch of players of widely varying abilities, any other format just doesn't work. Anyone who plays in a random scramble event and tries to take it too seriously is in for disappointment. It's expected that most people on a golf forum would poo-poo the format, because we are all more or less serious about golf.

In most scrambles you have a few people who may only touch a club for one or two scrambles each year, and otherwise know nothing about the game. They are there for the socializing and the party. If the prizes are very big, then the event will also attract the ringers and cheaters. That combination means that you pay your fee for the charitable contribution, then you go with a plan of having a good time out in the sun with some friends, and forget about golf as golf.

Loosen up, have a couple of beers - you can have a beer or two without having to get drunk - and just go with the flow.

I think a Step Out Scramble is a nice way to speed up play a little bit and neutralize ringers.

I always prefer best ball. I hate not being able to play my own ball. Especially on a course i haven't played before

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The city courses here have a few tournaments for 2 man teams. 9 holes is scramble and 9 holes better ball

3 man scrambles are really fun, imo. we also play in a few big cup scrambles every year. they are an absolute blast - we do it more for the camaraderie and fundraising than the golf though....but the first few times after the big cup are a bit challenging since the cup seems so damn small.

I've always found scrambles to be pretty enjoyable take things less serious and at the same time you are gonna meet some new people make a few new friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back