Seniors: Driver or Fairway Wood Off the Tee?

RecGolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Have you switched to a fairway wood off the tee because your driver just wasn't getting it done anymore, or can you still put your driver out there? What are your thoughts on switching or not?

I'm asking mainly those of you in your 70's.

Have you switched to a fairway wood off the tee because your driver just wasn't getting it done anymore, or can you still put your driver out there? What are your thoughts on switching or not?

In my early 60's and when I test my current 3w, I tested it both ways to make sure it would do what I need to do as the "Big Dog" can get me in trouble sometimes.

I’m 69... and I still use driver whenever possible. I feel that the biggest problem (for those who are having problems with this club) is over-swinging and getting too fast. If you can keep in mind to just swing leisurely and try to hit the middle of the club face - I think it’s possible to get better results.

I am not a senior yet, but I will always live by the notion that distance is king.

Get me further down the hole is always going to be my goal.

I would only use a fairway wood if I can't keep the driver in play or I need a shorter shot.

Last edited:
Driver still my best weapon, and I am still long. I'm 70. I have a T200 2-iron I can use off the tee on some tight driving holes.

Big dog still hunts for me 🏌️‍♂️

I'm 77 and still use my driver off the tee. I'm no where as long as I used to be but it still out distances my 5 wood and usually finds the fairway. I'm sure the nod will go to the 5 wood before long but until then the driver gets to play.

I am 67 and still use driver. One of the guys I play golf regularly with is 83 and hits driver on every hole he can.

If you need more loft find a 12 or 13* driver. The driver head is way more forgiving than a 3w you should take advantage of that.

I am 70 and always use my driver when ever possible. We do have one short par 4 that I use a 3 wood to lay up.

I am not a senior yet, but I will always live me the notion that distance is king.

Get me further down the hole is always going to be my goal.

I would only use a fairway wood if I can't keep the driver in play or I need a shorter shot.
Not to mention driver is more forgiving than a fairway.

If you need more loft find a 12 or 13* driver. The driver head is way more forgiving than a 3w you should take advantage of that.
I’m not an upper senior yet, and still love my 9* Driver, but this is great advice! 👍

Tour Edge offers a driver with 15 degrees in the 523 Hot Launch E series.

Last edited:
Big dog all day long unless dogleg or super tight.

Pretty much always driver on all par 4&5's, been known to use driver on a long par 3. Straightest club in my bag and not long, 160-180. Seem to be losing several yards each year. At 77 have lived twenty years longer than I thought so now way ahead of the game.

70. Driver off the tee.

For the original post, if one can't hit the biggest club in the bag why would you be able to hit a smaller club, I can't.

For the original post, if one can't hit the biggest club in the bag why would you be able to hit a smaller club, I can't.

I have a theory about this. I play 3w in periods where my driver gets silly.

the club face is smaller on 3w, and that makes me more concentrated to actually hit the ball, and if I manage to hit the ball, I think the chance to hit sweetspot is higher due to the already tiny clubhead. When I’m using the driver,my club face awareness becomes less precise.

but the moi is higher on a driver overall so maybe a off center hit with driver outdrives my spoon anyway. Conundrum 😂

I'm 65. My driver swing speed is still mid 90's. So I can still get it out there in the 240-260 range with good strikes.

Almost 68, never been long and getting shorter. Driver for me too. Garmin Golf has 'drive' as my best SG facet vs other golfers in their data base.

At 68 I still hit a driver. It was always a strong part of my game it just doesn't go as far as it used to. Loss of distance means it's tougher to find trouble. (y)

I used to put my driver in the hot garage when it was misbehaving. Gave it a verbal Scolding nightly.

After one particularly mean scolding, realized I wasn't hitting the sweet spot. To high on the face and too close to the heel.

Fixed that. Driver now lives back in the bag.

At my age, 70 next month, I need all the yardage I can get.

If it's a problem, I just grip down to change that 45.5 to 43.5. Big head, shorter shaft, slower swing - fairway.

Back