tmurph51

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Alright - I am at a cross road with my gap wedge. When I got fitted for my irons I got it with a gap wedge, but truthfully I am not very consistent with it. Oddly enough I have a Yururi gap wedge that spins like nobody’s business and I feel like I am more reliable with it.

Anyone have some experience with choosing between a set gap wedge and something completely different? For context I have the same shaft in both and they fly mostly the same distance. Photo attached are the two gap wedges in question.

Attachments

• IMG_3790.jpeg
    IMG_3790.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 22
I prefer to stick with a set gap wedge because it's the highest lofted club in my bag that's still a full swing club. I'll full swing my 54 and 58 once in a while, but it's very rare and has to be basically the only viable choice - most of the time I'd rather hit a partial gap wedge than a full swing sand or lob wedge.

It's a pretty personal thing though, and I don't think there's any conventional wisdom leaning one way or the other. Play whatever you're most confident and feel best with.

i use my set GW quite a bit. i DO have a CBX2 GW as well but it's more for...well, i don't know. i just have it in the bag as well.

My decision factor was asking what I do with the GW. I take full shots with it so I opted for the set GW. I do a lot with my SW and LW from 100 yds in and they do all the work with partial shots and goofy stuff. I started to play around with my King Tour CB GW and I found I could do everything I could with a specialty GW so it worked out for me.

A number of Hackers, including myself, were chosen to compare their set PW or AW/GW with a comparably configured Edison 2.0 specialty wedge. Lots of info, thoughts and data here:

I had enough success with the Edison as a gap wedge that when I ordered my new Srixons I did not order the set gap wedge. I’m sticking with the Edison. More flexible.

As many noted, I as well use my set GW in full swings so I have opted my last 3 iron sets to go with the matching set GW with no regrets. Everyone is different and if your Yururi gap wedge does everything you want it to do and you have confidence with it, then stick with it. It comes down to the mental side and it appears that you have made that decision.

I played a CBX Gap wedge rather than my T300 gap because the T300 didn't spin enough for my taste. Now with these Apex DCBs the gap wedge is still in the bag because I like the way it performs. Mizunos HM series gap wedges have the miromilling of an aftermarket wedge and are the best set gap wedge I have ever hit.

EDIT- Come to think of it, the year or so I played the Titleist T300's I also replaced the set PW and SW with CBXs because they performed better for me. So none of the T300 set wedges were in the bag.....

GW is a full swing for me so I went for set GW.

With my Edison 2.0 49*, I can and do use it for full swings successfully. But I can also use it for longer pitches and chips around the green. Plus if I get one of those dreaded 40 yard bunker shots it’s perfectly capable of those as well. As I said, more flexible.

set gw for me and most commonly I wonder should I change it out. With current set, best GW i've ever played. Mostly full swings, punch shots from 60 yards, or long chips with this club.

Usually go with the set GW but struggled with that particular club when I was gaming Cobra King F6 irons. Rest of the set was great but it was a progressive design and the GW was MB unlike every other club in the set. I eventually canned that club for an original CBX at the same loft which was much more consistent and played more like to my set PW.

I usually go with a set GW because it is a full swing club for me most of the time. If I was in a situation where I had 2 "gap wedges" that were the same distance I would play the one I was more comfortable with.

It comes down to types of shots I use the GW for. I game a set GW and it has the same bounce as my shorter irons and works well for full shots. I also use it for green side chips with a square face. The set GW always feel more forgiving than separate wedges, too.

I have the set GW w/ my Srixon ZX4 MK-II's. It's my fav club in my bag. I use it from 50-110 yds.

I'm currently going through this with my newly acquired Apex 21's, which came with a 48 degree AW. So I'm really pleased to see some of the replies here where you see the GW as the last full swing club.

My Apex 21 AW carries almost exactly the same as my 50 degree Mack Daddy CB and so I'm likely to drop one out and I suspect it'll be the Mac Daddy. Then I just need to re-do my gapping to see if I need to slot something in between the 48 Apex, and my 56 Mack Daddy.

Will watch this thread with interest.

After a couple lack luster set GW's I have moved on to a specialty wedge in that spot. The set GW just never seem to work for me. The last one that did was the MB GW back in 2019

Alright - I am at a cross road with my gap wedge. When I got fitted for my irons I got it with a gap wedge, but truthfully I am not very consistent with it. Oddly enough I have a Yururi gap wedge that spins like nobody’s business and I feel like I am more reliable with it.

Anyone have some experience with choosing between a set gap wedge and something completely different? For context I have the same shaft in both and they fly mostly the same distance. Photo attached are the two gap wedges in question.
I don't use the set GW anymore for the reason you alluded to...a set GW simply doesn't spin enough for me. For example, you hit a nice shot with the set GW and watch it trundle 15 feet past the hole as opposed to checking up or spinning back.

Oddly enough, went and hit my set gap wedge and my Yururi gap wedge. Set gap wedge flew easier and actually spun a good bit. Not as much as the Yururi though. But set gap wedge was easier to hit so think I will go with that for now.

The Yururi will stay with me as a speciality club that’s just fun to hit and spins like crazy.

Love my Apex Pro A wedge. I had always played a 50* wedge that matched my wedges. Spun nicely and was great around the greens. Problem was on full and 3/4 shots. Not as much forgiveness and although it gapped perfectly with the other wedges it was about 15 yards less than my PW and I didn't like the gap. The bounce on my set gap wedge is perfect and is my go to now for lower pitches around the green. It is my 110 yard club with more full swings. Spins ample amount for me but every iron is different. I average about 1-2 yards of rollout with the A wedge. About 1 yard with the 54* Jaws and less with my 60. So not too much difference.

I generally use the AW/GW as part of the set, as for me it blends better from a gapping perspective. I also have two speciality wedges that I use with them for the closer to the green pitch/chips

I use a set gap wedge and it’s one of my favorite clubs. Plenty of spin and accuracy.

I tend to pull set gap wedges pretty quickly because, for me, they typically launch too high. The gap wedge I had in a set of Bridgestone JGR HF2 seemed to send balls into the cloud layer. My swing tendencies don’t help but this one was particularly prone to launching high.

When you think about it, many set GW are made similar to the long irons in shape and weight placement. What is an advantage in longer irons can become a liability in the shorter clubs.

I have a huge 48* set wedge and a 52* Callaway MD5 gap wedge.
I use the set wedge when I have a good lie with a clear shot at the ball.

The much smaller MD5 is the best option for punching out of the rough.
I did a lot of practice at nearby chipping green to figure out what club I ought to use when my ball is in the rough near the green.

I tried a set gap wedge 3 years ago and couldn’t do it. For some reason the face always looked so closed and I couldn’t hit it to save my life. Ended up going back to my TM wedge

Back