Severe downhill lies

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
As I discovered more than 1 time today, the steep downhill lie might be the hardest shot for me to try and make. It’s not something I can practice at the range so what is the best way to approach them?

More weight on the front foot, shoulders matching slope angle, ball towards back foot, very downward angle of attack.

This and take a few rehearsals with this setup to make certain you are entering and exiting the turf correctly before your shot - get comfy. Also, Loft up - take a higher lofted club.

Personally I think the uphill shot is worse because I can't get off the rear foot.

More weight on the front foot, shoulders matching slope angle, ball towards back foot, very downward angle of attack.
^ Yep. And maybe club down one, because it's probably still going to take some loft off.

^ Yep. And maybe club down one, because it's probably still going to take some loft off.
Yep, this is a big one. If you don't club down and you smoke it you're going to blast it like you hit one club up do to the delofting from the lie. If I have an uphill or downhill lie I always club up or club down depending.

Don't forget that a downhill lie the ball wants to come out more to the right... or is it left, and an uphill lie the ball wants to come out more to the right, or is it left? That's for a right-handed golfer.

Eitherway aim is important because the lie may affect it.

You forgot pray! I agree that downhill lies are the toughest on the course.

Yep, coming out lower and rightward for a right hander. Choke up a touch. Ball back. Aim left.

You forgot pray! I agree that downhill lies are the toughest on the course.
It's even hard to kneel for the praying with all that uneven ground LOL!

I thought rightward and leftward were only a 'thing' when one was on a slope where your feet were higher or lower than the ball?

I thought what the OP was asking about was a level scenario (feet and ball at same level) but hitting a downhill shot?

I'm confused :oops:

Downhill lies have been the toughest for me over the last couple years. Used to be ball below my feet but I can handle those well enough now.

Downhill from the fairway? I've not so many issues but roll that ball into the rough and downhill, and it's virtually poke and hope.

I naturally forward press my irons as it is so with even taking the proper set-up wrt ball placement and shoulder angle, it was a struggle.

Still is to a large degree but less so now since I've actually opted for taking 2 less clubs than the yardage may indicate. My forward press is enough combined with the slope to easily turn a 9-iron's loft into that of a 7-iron. At least.

Strangely enough, the downhill chip is one of my favorite shots so long as I have some green to work with.

Well, on the 2 holes I encountered it on yesterday it was probably the most severe downhill lie I've ever had to play. One was in the rough which made it worse and the other was in the middle of the fairway. Had they actually mowed the grass and the course been a touch drier it should have just finished running down the hill but no. They had to stop on probably a 15-20* downhill slope. I ended up chunking them both with fat and steep strokes.

I definitely need to understand ball position better and I'll try to open up the face more but it was just steep enough that matching the shoulder angle of the lie might have sent me rolling down the hill if I lost balance.

Well, on the 2 holes I encountered it on yesterday it was probably the most severe downhill lie I've ever had to play. One was in the rough which made it worse and the other was in the middle of the fairway. Had they actually mowed the grass and the course been a touch drier it should have just finished running down the hill but no. They had to stop on probably a 15-20* downhill slope. I ended up chunking them both with fat and steep strokes.

I definitely need to understand ball position better and I'll try to open up the face more but it was just steep enough that matching the shoulder angle of the lie might have sent me rolling down the hill if I lost balance.

In addition to advice above, you may want to widen your stance.

I thought rightward and leftward were only a 'thing' when one was on a slope where your feet were higher or lower than the ball?

I thought what the OP was asking about was a level scenario (feet and ball at same level) but hitting a downhill shot?

I'm confused :oops:
Same level but downhill lie.
This is one of the holes in question where the ball stopped on the downhill lie at the end of the fairway to show how severe the drop off was.

In the same manner as some chipping and pitching setups, I can buy needing to align more to the right in my case if I have to open up the club face to avoid coming in so steep on the downhill lie.

I tend to set up almost like a long splash bunker shot. Wide stance, ball a little back, swing a bit steep and let the club do it's work.

Steep downhill is always an iron for me. I have topped and duffed too many hybrids and woods. I will get decent contact with an iron.

Torso perpendicular to the hill. Ball center to slightly forward. Steeper, downward swing

I don't like downhill lies either.
I approach them like this.

1 less club
Ball a little back in my stance
Shoulders follow the hill
A little more weight on the front foot
Aim a little left
Swing right down the hill

I do OK on downhill shots. Shorter club - ball back - aim a tad left -let the weight finish over on my front knee.

I suck on uphill shots because I can't get back over to my front foot and it messes with my mind. I usually resort to a quick punch type swing

As I discovered more than 1 time today, the steep downhill lie might be the hardest shot for me to try and make. It’s not something I can practice at the range so what is the best way to approach them?
Seen this today:

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

gotta match the slope with you shoulders and use more loft

Pretty much what has already been said. Shoulder match slope, more weight on front foot, and depending on the severity of the slope, ball farther back of center.

I would just add a couple of things. Keep the club head follow through after ball impact as low as possible, as long as possible. This will help with a crispier ball first club impact.

Also when ever possible, practice the 4 uneven lies we all run into when playing. Use a variety of club lofts to get an idea on what the various ball flights will be.

One other thing. If the ball is in longer grass, just take your medicine, and punch the ball out.

Because you are increasing AoA, that will move the path to the right, so the ball will curve more Right to Left for a Right handed golfer...Aim Right

Back