Shaft Performance - Driver vs 3W

flaMtneer

Reaction score
Handicap
I'll preface this with - I know I need to go get fitted to answer...but in the spirit of Sat morning conversation:

I'm still not happy with my Driver performance - I don't seem to be getting the distance I think I should be. I'm hitting a Cally RF Xtreme head. I hit it on the range with a cally rep on a demo day and I hit the Black Tie shaft much better than the Trinity (wasn't even close) but now I don't seem to be getting that on the course with the same setup.

The strange thing is I have the same shaft (Black Tie 7M3) in my RF 3W and I just kill it. Off a tee I often hit it as far as my driver. Is this typical?

I've tried a couple other shafts that I picked up very cheap (GD YS6 +, YS7+) and the results are about the same. The YS6+ in S-flex flies way too high and I'm losing a noticeable amount of distance. I found a cheap used YS6 in X flex and the ball flight and distance are slightly better but my swing speed is not near X range (I've seen 95 - 104 mph so I'm guessing I'm really around 100 or so). I seem to be getting about the same yardage from YS6 "X", YS7 "S", and Black Tie "S" - probably around 250 on the course. I'm within a few yards of that with my 3W.

So I guess my curiousity is would you expect the same shaft to perform so differently in 3W vs Driver? Or maybe it's not the shaft at all and it's normal to hit the 3W within a couple yards of the driver? etc...

Thanks.

It might be possible that the RFX head isn't fitting you well. I wouldn't expect a shaft to Change how a head plays

It might be possible that the RFX head isn't fitting you well. I wouldn't expect a shaft to Change how a head plays

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm going to the range today and I'm going to take my old TM 360Ti which is 3 three drivers old now but really the last one that I hit well. (Moved to R5 - terrible for me-, then Razr Hawk which was awesome on the LM but not on the course, then RFX) We'll see how it goes.

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm going to the range today and I'm going to take my old TM 360Ti which is 3 three drivers old now but really the last one that I hit well. (Moved to R5 - terrible for me-, then Razr Hawk which was awesome on the LM but not on the course, then RFX) We'll see how it goes.

What sort of numbers do you see on the monitor

Without actual numbers as far as launch angle and spin, this is purely a guess. The Black Tie in an 8.5* head should hit very low spinning flatter flying shots, if you are getting a very high ball, I would think it is an angle of attack issue, either coming up on the ball a ton, or more likely, hitting down on the ball, this is ok with a fairway wood, but kills the distance with a driver.

golf can be so complex where something like confidence can affect how you hit the club. Doesn't sound like your are confident with your driver anymore, and you may need a few range sessions to regain that.

As for as the main question 'the same shaft isn't working for your driver/ 3wood) I have similar a similar problem. I love my 3 wood (xcg 6 w/ 7m3 black tie), and figured I could throw one in my driver and see the same results. I went to a fitter and found that the SLDR was the best clubhead for me, but then we started trying other shafts. I pointed out that I'd like to try the 7m3 black tie, yet when on the launch monitor it just wasn't working. My swing speed went way down, launch was lower, and overall it just wasn't working. The fitter then started suggesting other shafts based on my swing and what I had been using (aldila voodoo 63g with 4.2 torque and mid kick compared to 7m3 which is 72g 3.8tq and mid-high kick)

Long story short, my driver swing speed is peaked with shafts in the mid 60s for weight, mid kick, and torque around 4... If I go lighter or heavier, I lose speed and performance. With my 3wood and hybrids, I get the best performance out of stiffer/heavier shafts

3w 7m3 black tie
2h fubuki ax h350
4h bassara e series

all have weights in in the 72ish g area. Can I explain it? no... which is why the club fitting really helped. Find what's best for your swing, that doesn't mean you have to match shafts from club to club.

Thanks for the responses.
I don't remember exactly what my LM numbers were - it was last season. In general, my launch angle was very high, around 15 to 16 degrees I think? I wasn't surprised by that, I've always hit the ball high. Spin was around 2300 with the best setup. I was comparing the Razr Hawk Tour to the RFX. The RH gave me the best numbers, but I never hit it consistently on the course or the range. I was ready for the tour on the LM though. Haha.

I think that confidence has a lot to do with it. Now I'm questioning everything with my driver which is the worst thing I could be doing. That's one reason I've resisted going and getting fitted again. Afraid of just adding more variables and then having them not transfer to the course...or worse finding out the new Big Bertha gives me 30 more yards... at around $15/yard.

Just got back from the range. Hit my old TM 360Ti (ProForce Gold 65) and then the RFX with the 7M3 "s", the YS6 "x", and the YS7 "s". The range kind of slopes down at the driver distance, so it's tough to actually tell which one is going farther...but strangely the YS6 X seems to give me the best overall performance...there's not a huge difference, but ball flight and dispersion seem a little better. I do hit it slightly higher, but not enough for it to be a big deal. I also like the lighter shaft....just seems that with my swing speed there should be a better fit than an X shaft. I kinda wish I had the YS6 S to compare to, but it was in a different club head and sold it.

I think for the near term I'm going to stick with the YS6 X setup (unless I hit the lotto tonight!) and just work it until I gain some confidence. I do hit this setup pretty consistently straight so playing from the fairway should help build some confidence.

SS isn't the only thing that dictates what flex you need in a specific shaft, transition, release and how you get that speed(fast arms or hands) will dictate more than just SS.

Play whatever shaft gives you the best #'s or gives you the most confidence on the course.

If your getting different results from the same club line with the same shaft you may be swinging the driver differently due to lack of confidence-- steering the club not swinging the club

Back