Islander

Reaction score
Handicap
I know they are asked a lot, but here is my issue.

Is there a situation where a softer flex is better?

My issue is that according to the Flightscope, my swing is normally around 105 MPH. Stiff shaft right? But when I swing some regular shafts some feel better than the stiffs. I was hitting a cheaper driver with a ProLaunch Blue regular shaft in it the other night and it was some of the best shots I have ever it into the sim. Some of it I am sure was that my swing was feeling really good, but it got me wondering. Should I replace the stock Graphite Design Tour AD YS stiff that is in my Cobra for something softer?

Thanks

Would have been nice to hit your driver along side that one to compare. I say play a couple rounds with a different shaft and see for yourself.

I know they are asked a lot, but here is my issue.

Is there a situation where a softer flex is better?

My issue is that according to the Flightscope, my swing is normally around 105 MPH. Stiff shaft right? But when I swing some regular shafts some feel better than the stiffs. I was hitting a cheaper driver with a ProLaunch Blue regular shaft in it the other night and it was some of the best shots I have ever it into the sim. Some of it I am sure was that my swing was feeling really good, but it got me wondering. Should I replace the stock Graphite Design Tour AD YS stiff that is in my Cobra for something softer?

Thanks

It is not that cut and dry. As was in the article in the current issues of hte magazine, choosing a shaft is far more than just swing speed, it is also tempo. John Daly and Nick Price both have the same swing speeds, but do you think they use the same shaft? Another thing to consider is every company is different because there is no industry standard. So one companies stiff can be another companies regular.

Your best bet is to find a fitter and get fit properly.

Back