Always tee it up in the box. I want that perfect lie.

Always tee it up, can honestly say I've never hit off the deck on a par 3. I think I tee my iron shots up a little higher than most, and usually par 3s are my best holes. Not that it's related, could be all mental, but it helps me!

Tee it up always. - jack nicklaus tip, he will forget more about golf than I will ever know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently struggling with short par 3s and distance control. Looking for advice and a bit of data.

Should you Tee it up or hit them from the deck? Is there any evidence that one is better than the other? Does your game plan change due to the weather, seasons, wind and scorecard?

Always tee it up, it will never hurt you but not teeing it up could.

As far as distance control, make it a focus during practice. I have the luxury of practice time being almost as much fun as actual golfing because I’m 99% of the time spending it with my kids. So we’re not only practicing together but having competitions. Usually we play a game for about half of the practice time where we pick out a target and the closest to the target then picks the next target. We all like to compete so it takes the monotony out of hitting 50 half wedges. I don’t know if you have someone that you could hit the range with and play something similar? Maybe if an adult friend you could play for a beer afterwards on who won the most times?

Tee... for Distance control start by taking full swings at normal grip, then 1/2” choked down, then an inch. For all the wedges. Rarely is a hole so short to need to play a half wedge of any variety. A full swing with the right combination of loft and choking down is simpler than “I need a 72% Gap wedge swing”

Short part 3s.

Thanks for all the advice.

Have been playing around with all the suggestions.

We have a very specific par 3 on the course which is situated in a little valley. It’s about 20 yards downhill from Tee to Green. Green slopes downhill away and to the right. Yellow Tees are 122y and the Whites are 131y to the middle.

Wind is amplified so you never sure of the number to hit. For me a 50* gets me on by roughly 2 yards and the PW lands 4 yards from the back on a calm day which is rare.

I’ve teed it up for the last month and I’ve realised the major role the T height makes. If impact is 2 or 3 grooves higher on the 50* face it’s in the bunker short of the green. Conclusion the T needs to be flush so I’ve started carrying wooden T’s for that purpose.

Doing a shoulder height swing with pitching wedge reduces the spin and carry but the ball doesn’t hold the green so I started teeing it up just a bit higher and there you go ....high ball with low spin that stops due to the descending angle. Summer might be a different ball game but I’ve made par the last 4 rounds so something is working.

Thought I’ll include a picture of my nemesis hole.

927d26d356fd6fa10742f33d58b75322.jpg

Well, hell. I didn’t know your nemesis hole had such dark and foreboding skies, lol.

Advice is the same. Use a tee. Unless you tee it too high, you’ll never say “damn, I wish I wouldn’t have teed it up!” However you might say the opposite.

I might be a minority, but on wedges, I gently slam my blade into the turf to slightly elevate it. For some reason, it works better for me than a tee. I only do that with a wedge tee shot. Tees for every other iron...

I do this for every iron except if I'm hitting a 6 iron or longer. I feel like a tee with irons makes me come too much from the inside and up so I overdraw it. With the ball on the ground i can focus more on taking a nice divot.

Thanks for all the advice.

Have been playing around with all the suggestions.

We have a very specific par 3 on the course which is situated in a little valley. It’s about 20 yards downhill from Tee to Green. Green slopes downhill away and to the right. Yellow Tees are 122y and the Whites are 131y to the middle.

Wind is amplified so you never sure of the number to hit. For me a 50* gets me on by roughly 2 yards and the PW lands 4 yards from the back on a calm day which is rare.

I’ve teed it up for the last month and I’ve realised the major role the T height makes. If impact is 2 or 3 grooves higher on the 50* face it’s in the bunker short of the green. Conclusion the T needs to be flush so I’ve started carrying wooden T’s for that purpose.

Doing a shoulder height swing with pitching wedge reduces the spin and carry but the ball doesn’t hold the green so I started teeing it up just a bit higher and there you go ....high ball with low spin that stops due to the descending angle. Summer might be a different ball game but I’ve made par the last 4 rounds so something is working.

Thought I’ll include a picture of my nemesis hole.

927d26d356fd6fa10742f33d58b75322.jpg

SHows everyone how small greens are over here in the UK

Back