Should caddies get a medal if their player wins?

I hate to say it, but they shouldn't get a medal.

It sucks, because there's no cash prize if their player wins they don't get their 10% or whatever agreement they may have. I'm sure they aren't working this weekend for free, but kind of a bummer to not get that OR a medal.

No. It should be given to a person who is playing the actual sport. Is the caddie playing golf?

No. It should be given to a person who is playing the actual sport. Is the caddie playing golf?
Yes he is going through the entire process, just handing off the hitting of the ball at the end.

Nobody is winning a tournament if their bag isn't carried off the 1st tee box. I said before that it's probably the least important part of the job (when compared with helping with shot selection and general coaching), but I think that turns it into active participation that could justify a medal.

Anybody who caddies for Bryson deserves a medal…..Oh, but you mean in the Olympics! No, I don’t think so. The caddies never hit a ball or make a putt. They don’t have to perform under the pressure.

Yea to me the caddie is playing a position on the golf course as a duo or team member. Like I said it's no different then a bench player in a team sport, or even a sport like soccer, the goalie doesn't work near as hard as alot of the other players on the field, the punter in football definitely doesn't work near as hard as most of the other guys on the field, but is still physically working towards the goal of winning, much like a caddie.

No. They don't get a green jacket at Augusta why in the world would they get a medal at the Olympics? Tiger Woods could have taken me as a caddie to an event in the 2000's and still won. Steve Williams could not caddie for me and help me win anything. They are just a support role and not a competitor.

No. They don't get a green jacket at Augusta why in the world would they get a medal at the Olympics? Tiger Woods could have taken me as a caddie to an event in the 2000's and still won. Steve Williams could not caddie for me and help me win anything. They are just a support role and not a competitor.
Is that true though? Could've Tiger carried his own bag and walked the course and did the same thing. There's no fatigue element there or anything that would've changed. I just don't know if I buy that? Outside of the strategy and club selection element where a couple strokes could've been gained by the caddies recommendations.

I probably could research and find out on my own, but does anyone here know if caddies have to be from the same country as the athlete? I'd assume it's like coaches and they wouldn't need to be. Obviously they would have to make that a rule if they considered giving out medals.

Edit: Confirmed they don't have to be from the same country

Last edited:
rowing 8s coxswains get medals, I don't see why caddies can't
I was going to say no, but a coxswain in rowing is a great comparison. Give the caddies medals! I like the idea of players playing/carrying clubs on their own as well.
I like the rowing comparison. Probably the closest comparison. Regarding a different point, caddies are not like bench players; if the golfer gets hurt, the caddie doesn’t come in to replace them. Definitely closer to coach than bench player.

the coaches in the team Olympic sports don't get a medal, so I vote no for caddies.

Is that true though? Could've Tiger carried his own bag and walked the course and did the same thing. There's no fatigue element there or anything that would've changed. I just don't know if I buy that? Outside of the strategy and club selection element where a couple strokes could've been gained by the caddies recommendations.
Absolutely if everyone else was doing the same. Tiger whooped ass on the junior circuit with no caddie carrying his own bag. He did it in college too.

Funny, as it's 50/50 at my office.

The people that think no, say that coaches and caddies have no impact at all on the outcome. I said I completely disagree that a caddie or baseball/basketball coach has no impact at all on the outcome of a game/match.

Anybody who caddies for Bryson deserves a medal…..Oh, but you mean in the Olympics! No, I don’t think so. The caddies never hit a ball or make a putt. They don’t have to perform under the pressure.
You clearly don't struggle with doing math under pressure like me hahaha.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My initial thought was no. on tour, does a caddy get 50% of the purse money?

But then I think that a true caddy, is more like the "passenger" in a Rally car. That person is critical for the success of the team. calling out the turns so the driver can execute them before even the driver can see them in a lot of situations. Listening to Collin M and his caddy during pre shot, this is exactly their relationship. so...yes a caddy is not a coach, in the traditional sense and is deserving of the medal.

I would be intersting to hear what the players thing in a anonymous poll.

Players are chosen by their countries to represent the nation. The caddies are chosen by the players to assist them.

Are caddies important? yes.

Do they deserve a medal? no. They are not olympic athletes.

Unless you're the Soviet Union, where they had "professional amateurs."
Whoa, whoa whoa, mister. The Russians are banned from international competition. Pay no attention to this team known as the Russian Olympic Committee. They do not represent Russia.

After seeing all of the "no's" I thought about it some more and still come up with "yes." Golf coach shouldn't get one as support staff, but a caddy/golfer is a team and I think they both deserve a medal. The biggest contradiction to my stance is that I don't think caddies are major champions. All I can say to that is that the Olympics are full of team members that don't compete in the games and still get a medal.

Yes. My nephew received a World Series ring when the Red Sox won it...he worked security at Fenway.

I agree with those who have called out the coxswain in rowing. Not sure how you can say they medal but the a caddy doesn't. Fundamentally what is different? The only thing I can come up with is the player can override the caddie and in rowing if you override the coxswain that just doesn't work.

I think they deserve a medal. They are a big part of the team. And if I'm wrong and the players don't need them then they should just use a push cart or carry their own clubs. Until then they do a lot for their player and deserve a medal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As this is different from a tour event (and I totally get the argument that they don’t get a green jacket so shouldn’t get a medal), I’m going to say, I think they should.

Ejhhh I'm torn but leaning towards no.. that said, I think they should get more than the usual what 10% .. don't gold medalists get like 30k?

Back