Should caddies get a medal if their player wins?

At home both sons are on the Yes side. One said if the caddie is helping the player line up a putt or where to hit the ball, then they are as much part of the team as the last bench player who never got to play, but gets a medal for just being on the team.

No.

And the coaching of a team like football is not at all a good comparison. Its not apples to apples but is completely different thing and in fact not even close. If one needs an explanation as to the hundred reasons why that is the case your likely too bias towards golf or simply have little to no idea what a pro football coach does.

On other touchy subjects.... I (like a number of folks) dont consider golfers athletes and the game itself is a game far more than a sport.
I know this hurts peoples feelings because for some reason it insults their ego (which i never will understand why). But then this might be a different topic.

Caddies are not athletes.
Coaches are not athletes.
Athletes get medals.
The end.

Caddies are not athletes.
Coaches are not athletes.
Athletes get medals.
The end.
Here is my argument.

I don’t think it’s about who is an athlete, it’s about the competition. Who won the competition and who directly caused the outcome. The Olympics are a competition of events, not to show who is the best athlete anymore.

Skateboard is now in the Olympics. Would you classify a person that can do tricks on a skateboard an athlete?

Coaches don't get medals either in case anyone is wondering.

One thing of note. USOC has something called the Order of Ikkos medal, which is presented to one person chosen by the athlete, should they medal. Matt Kuchar gave this to his caddie in 2016. Seems like a solid compromise?

Skateboard is now in the Olympics. Would you classify a person that can do tricks on a skateboard an athlete?
what about skeet shooting? Curling? perhaps a few more lessor known things as well.
It is very likely that one who is a skateboarder or has a big interest in it will classify them as an athlete whether they are or not. Juts like golf or most anything someone is into feelings get hurt and egos get insulted when (what would be a subjective at best) classification made by anyone else doesnt meet their same bias view.

Last edited:
Listen, race walkers get medals and they don't carry bags or read greens.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think there are valid points for both sides of the debate, but I'm on the 'no' side. Regardless of how much the caddie contributes (and there's no doubt that he/she does contribute significantly), golf is an individual sport. In team sports, all members of the team get medals - in individual sports, the individual athlete gets a medal.

I think coaches of team events are similar in their role to a caddie on the olympics. Unfortunately even if a coaches team wins olympic gold only the athletes get the medal.

Saw this somewhere on social media a couple days ago and thought it was ridiculous they “don’t” get a medal.

they absolutely should.

There’s a bit of a discussion going on about this on Twitter amongst the tour pros, some in favour, some not. Thomas Bjorn actually raised a good point. As an example, a German wins the gold for Germany, but his caddie is an Englishman. Not sure how that would work.

I'm not sure about them getting medals. They are certainly a vital contributor to the golfer, but in the end it is the golfer who feels the pressure and swings the club and faces the media after each round. It is a unique partnership.

+1 for the no camp. Does the swing coach, equipment sponsor, and agent get one too?

Do they get a green jacket or claret jug? No then no.

If coaches don't get medals then caddies shouldn't either. The fact that they carry clubs and walk the course means nothing to me. I really don't care either way (about coaches or caddies)...just be consistent.

Absolutely. They're an integral part of the team.

I say no. Maybe some other prize, but not a medal.

No. I would be embarrassed to be given a Gold Medal as a caddy.

Could you imagine being at a BBQ... "Yeah, I won got a Gold Medal. Was so and so's caddy" #lamesauce.

I don’t think they should. Maybe the medal winners could do something for them, tho.

Considering some of the players had their wife or parent on the bag…. No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back