Should dogs be allowed on the golf course?

While I own dogs and love them I would say no. The main reason is there will be people that don’t pick up after their dogs and thus ruin it for everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's this small stray that made the course his home. I would guess he has chihuahua in him. He's probably not much over 10 pounds. The maintenance guys have been taking care of him building a little dog house and bringing dog food for him. He comes to me in the parking lot because I gave him some food. He gets plenty to eat with so many golfers sharing food with him. They named him Bogey. He is now the course dog. Pretty much all over the course enjoying life.

I wouldn't have an issue with a well-behaved dog on the course, but how many would be too many? After all, we have a lot of wild life that can make their presence known at my course during any given round, deer, skunks, snakes, tarantulas, armadillos, coyotes.....

No Dogs or cats or ugly women on the golf course. BUT - while having dinner at the Old Course at St Andrews last week I saw a dog pulling a golfers golf cart as the golfer walked along side. I just smiled and had a drink of my red wine,.:unsure::eek:

I thought St. Andrews was pretty much a dog park on Sundays anyway?

I have a very well trained cocker spaniel. But I wouldn't take her golfing because of her personality.

She absolutely loves meeting new people. She listens to me. But I can just see myself spending a lot of time redirecting her and getting her to move along when she met the people in the group behind or ahead of us, or got enamored with the group the next fairway over.

I've seen a lot of dog's manning the golf cart. My Irish Setter would chase the balls, unfortunately. In college, used to take 1st Irish Setter, after hours on a course near my college crib, Berkeley, Ca.. One day he disappeared for 1/2 hour after a deer.......

I completely agree with you! Dogs are not the problem. It is the irresponsible owners that are the issue. Socializing with your dog and training them properly is important so they can be well-behaved around people and children. I'm so glad to hear that you had a great experience with the course dog at your local course. It's wonderful that he had such a great life full of love and happiness. I also took my dog to service dog courses from https://www.servicedogregistration.org. He is a very disciplined boy.

Last edited:
On his last day on earth, also his last day on course, Gizmo left a friendly message for the golf dog haters.

Screenshot_20221028-201250_Video Player.jpg

So sad but such a great life :( Sorry for your loss.

No, because too many inconsiderate fools walking around this planet.

The last thing I want to do is worry about stepping in dog doo everywhere I go on a course.

Yes. As long as they stay quiet, keep up, don't chase squirrels, and stay out of the bunkers.

Absolutely, except mine.

Because he's an idiot.

I'd have no problem with well behaved dogs out on the course. I'd much rather have them over some of the golfers I see out there :LOL:

The problem with this is that allowing dogs (anywhere) actually means “well behaved dogs with respectful, sensible and capable owners.”

The problem with this is that allowing dogs (anywhere) actually means “well behaved dogs with respectful, sensible and capable owners.”
True. Most folks don't even realize that most dog training isn't that at all. It's dog OWNER training.

Back