Should have played my tee box

It is fun to play back on occasion, but I am a big proponent of everyone playing the tee box they want. I will step back if the 3 others are playing blue and if blue isn’t well outside my comfort zone. More often though, I am stepping up to join others in the group rather than stepping back. It is a hobby we play for fun, no need to ruin a good day. They have slope/rating from each tee box to accommodate all golfers

Last year I moved up a tee. Try to play between 5400-6000. My good drives are only 210. I am very fortunate that I hit my fairway woods pretty well. It did help. Turned 60 last year and am losing yardage. I dont mind split tees as one of our regular foursome plays one tee back and he still usually out drives me. We still have a great time.

At least you weren’t hitting driver off the deck into them??

Just look at it as a chance to work on short game. My kid last year lamented on his lack of chip ins. It seemed for a year or two that he’d have 1/2 a round.

I started thinking about it, “is he worse”? No that’s the best part of his game. Generally if he has an inch of collar he’s chipping it.

What’s changed is he now averages about 280 off the tee instead of 210 and is wedging onto every green. So he went from 12 attempts a round to just a couple. Hits a lot more greens than hitting hybrids.

My kids have always played from whatever distance I do. It was great for one of my sons. He was scoring in the low 80’s from 6600 yard as a 12 year old. He was a wizard around greens.

Back