Should you be able to post solo rounds?

When I was back in the uk you couldn’t even post a score unless you submitted a card that had also been signed by a marker. That may have changed now. I’ve no problem with singles being able to post. There are plenty of people that have to play as singles, they should be allowed to keep a valid handicap as much as anyone.

Most of my rounds are solo, so I find the rule ridiculous. And when I do get paired up with someone. I don't know the people and will probably never see them again.

Didn’t even know it was a rule, and I don’t see how cheating helps a handicap. Especially if you’re using the handicap in tournaments. Doesn’t the higher handicap have a bit of an advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never played a true solo complete round. Once I got to play 13-14 holes solo, but then finished with the group I eventually caught.

That said, I play a lot of golf as a "single" in a group of strangers. I do not ask them to sign my card. so is that a violation?

I am very comfortable in the legitimacy of my GHIN with all non-practice rounds posted. "solo" or attested by friends.

I play solo and I post them 🤷‍♂️

When I was back in the uk you couldn’t even post a score unless you submitted a card that had also been signed by a marker. That may have changed now. I’ve no problem with singles being able to post. There are plenty of people that have to play as singles, they should be allowed to keep a valid handicap as much as anyone.

It's still the same from what I understand. I don't post at all yet but a member did say it needed to be signed.

Dumb rule. Full disclosure I count all of my solo rounds, as otherwise I would never be able to post a handicap. Also, if this has to be the rule, take it a step further and require official score keepers, groups shouldn't be able to keep their own score.

Yes, you should be able to key solo rounds.
In the end, what does it matter? I want an accurate tracking of my potential. I don't play better or worse because I am with others....

Do I record solo rounds for my own handicap? 100% I do. I play a lot of solo rounds. I also rarely play anything that a handicap is used in (not a lot of tournaments or league anymore)

I think it's a pretty dumb rule. Whether they're with a group or not they'll find a way to cheat.

I'm actually of the insane opinion that only official or tournament rounds should count towards an official handicap. I know this brings a host of issues, but I feel the integrity of amateur competition would be so much better.

The current system is dumb. Cheaters gonna cheat whether solo or in a group.

Yes, and I will continue to do so, as I have since this rule was implemented.

Eff you, USGA.

TECHNICALLY, you can’t post solo rounds because the powers that be think a group would never cheat, which to me is silly. But, what do you think? Is it a good rule? Or is a it a dumb rule?

Should you be able to post solo rounds for handicapping purposes?
I think its daft. I don't check what scores the guys I play with enter so how is it any different?

Doesn't make any sense. Wether you play as a single or in a foursome and at the end of the day a golfer can post any score they want.
So let's explore this some, shall we? Can someone provide the EXACT definition of a solo round? Is it:
a) A round where you play alone? Meaning there is no one else in your group as you are sent off the 1st tee.
b) A round where you signed up as a single?
c) A round played with other players who don't know you and you don't know them?
d) A round where on all 18 holes you played with at least one other person?
e) Something else?

Can someone provide the EXACT definition of a solo round?
From the USGA:

Posting Scores
Q. I played a round by myself. Why can’t I post the score?

A. Peer review is the process by which either a score or a player’s Handicap Index® can be confirmed or challenged, and when rounds are played without another person present, the process cannot be facilitated. (Rule 2.1, Rules of Handicapping)

TECHNICALLY, you can’t post solo rounds because the powers that be think a group would never cheat, which to me is silly. But, what do you think? Is it a good rule? Or is a it a dumb rule?

Should you be able to post solo rounds for handicapping purposes?
Yes, dumb rule. I can cheat just as well solo👇, as in a group.

Didn’t even know it was a rule, and I don’t see how cheating helps a handicap. Especially if you’re using the handicap in tournaments. Doesn’t the higher handicap have a bit of an advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can cheat in two directions. Believe it or not, there are people who care enough to sandbag.

If I didn’t submit solo scores I wouldn’t have enough rounds to have a handicap.
Exactly this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's a dumb rule.

When I play with others, nobody is verifying the round I post. So whether I'm with a group or playing solo makes no difference. It's on me to post an honest score.

If the USGA and R&A really want the maximum chance of honest handicaps, they should revert to the European custom of only posting tournament rounds as in those, someone is checking your score. However, that's problematic because in the US, many people may only play one or two tournaments a year, if that.

I think the only way it can be done is just to trust to the golfer to post their rounds regardless of group or solo and focus your efforts on punishing cheaters when it can be proven.
The immediate reduction in your handicap when you have an exceptional score is pretty darn effective. I got hit with it, and I am an honest poster of scores. The only thing that I would recommend is that those scores get kept in your record for a set period of time, similar to the old 'T' scores. If someone is a true sandbagger, there's nothing stopping them getting 20 new scores in quickly to erase that exceptional score reduction. The soft and hard caps aren't sensitive enough for those purposes.

Completely dumb rule. I play most of my rounds solo, so I don't know that my handicap is really all that fair.

I play a hundred or so of them a year 🤣
I don't play 100 rounds during the short golf season here in MN but I play solo most of the time. I usually go out at about 9 AM and enjoy the weather and surroundings as much as the golf. That's the best time to have the radio in my cart on also. There are usually one or two holes open both in front of me and behind me.

I'm actually of the insane opinion that only official or tournament rounds should count towards an official handicap. I know this brings a host of issues, but I feel the integrity of amateur competition would be so much better.

The current system is dumb. Cheaters gonna cheat whether solo or in a group.
That would work fine for those who are playing tournament rounds every week or so but most golfers play socially most of the time and maybe enter 3-4 tournaments a year. Without that handicap, they couldn't play any tournaments.

I’m legit jealous of all the solo rounds referenced in this thread.

Since the pandemic golf boom, it seems like tee sheets are always full here. I used to get out in my home course and play solo. Especially during the summer afternoon when a lot of people bailed. Or ‘cold’ days for DFW where a lot of casual golfers just wait for a warm day.

The only solo round I’ve played in 3 years was when heavy thunderstorms were scheduled to come in around 10a that morning.My partners bailed. I played a nearby goat ranch course that was empty and got a full round in right before the rain hit.
At one course that I play occasionally, you don't even need a tee time. You just walk into the clubhouse and sign in, pay the greens fee and go out and play. Some of the courses around here aren't very busy most of the time.

Most definitely you should be able to post. I know at least one person that doesn’t post his solo rounds but tells me all of the low scores. I want him to post them so that his cap reflects his ability.

I make no observation as to it being "dumb" or "smart", but I do observe the rule. I play my rounds with the exact same level of integrity alone as I do when with others. I do not post my solo rounds because to do so would, per the rules, be cheating.

Hilariously, that meant for a brief period of time last year my handicap was noticeably higher than it should have been as several of my better scores, played after some very specific practice, could not be posted.

But if anything that backed up the logic behind the rule in a couple ways: first, sometimes it is easier to score when alone. I have played with several people whose games when playing with just people they know (and theoretically like) are completely different from their games with people they don't know. That can be reflected in the posting.

Second, it is easy to see how easy it would be for someone to cheat either direction...As I tend to play faster than most people, whether alone or with others, I have a lot of time to observe what is going on elsewhere on the course and I have seen a lot of, ah...questionable plays, lets say, plays.

So in the end I play by the established rules to the best of my ability any time it is a handicapped round. That includes such things as "not teeing up in front of the marker" on down to "if I played with another person I post, if not I don't".

Overwhelming majority think it is a dumb Rule and one should "be able" to post solo rounds. I recall when the Rules said you HAD to post EVERY round played, INCLUDING solo rounds. Guys always seemed to use the excuse of "it was a practice round" to NOT have to post them. It has to be one way or the other in my book, you post none, or you post all.

Back