Sidesaddle putting

Papaw

Reaction score
Would like to ask golfers that have switched to sidesaddle putting:
How satisfied are you with this new style?
how much practice did it take for successful conversion?
what were the specs and discription of new putter for this style?
did you try it for awhile and go back to conventional putting?
thanks in advance!

Would like to ask golfers that have switched to sidesaddle putting:
How satisfied are you with this new style?
how much practice did it take for successful conversion?
what were the specs and discription of new putter for this style?
did you try it for awhile and go back to conventional putting?
thanks in advance!

I've sidesaddle putted for the last 4 years. Would never go back to traditional putting.
The conversion time depends on how committed you are and how much practice you put in - so that's difficult to assess.
IMHO, most of the conversion time is spent on developing the "setup" stuff: how long a putter you're comfortable with, the type of grip, leg stance, ball position etc
Once you get your setup nailed down, the stroke itself is easy - just straight back and straight through - nothing to think or worry about (other than your target).
Here's a video of me sidesaddle putting that I sent to my golf coach:
http://www.powerchalk.com/video/102708_EKH5-I9UU-7I71-QWE0-3109-3469-CHLK/play/embed

The more I study this the more sense it makes. Going to give it a shot and I appreciate the video!

BigE, has the Directed Force become your number 1 putter yet? Trying to decide between bobby grace LFI or the DF, can only buy one ($$$) thanks.

I used the DF Force for a couple rounds now. I dunno, I might like the Bobby Grace LFI putter better.
I know this: I've been doing a drill where I try and make 30 four foot putts in a row. I been able to do that a couple of times with the LFI. Haven't been able to do it with the DF yet.
These are all pretty early impressions: so the jury is still out. But as of today, I'd say the LFI. But who knows what tomorrow will bring!
So the quick answer is no, the DF has not become my #1 putter yet.

thanks BigE...been using a bobby grace v-foil that I "adjusted". (Very similar look to LFI) but want the real thing, unless of course the DF blew the LFI out of the water. :) ...wanting to compete this summer in our north texas pga events, I know I'll be getting the Eyeball using face forward against other club pros so want to do Good!

thanks BigE...been using a bobby grace v-foil that I "adjusted". (Very similar look to LFI) but want the real thing, unless of course the DF blew the LFI out of the water. :) ...wanting to compete this summer in our north texas pga events, I know I'll be getting the Eyeball using face forward against other club pros so want to do Good!

Good luck! Having done sidesaddle for 5 years now - it doesn't feel strange anymore - so I don't even think about others "eyeballing" me anymore.

Last edited:
I can attest to this having played a couple times with BigE and he really rolls it well this way. I've also fooled around with it on some shorter putts and it surprises me how good it works. I should consider it myself :)

I can attest to this having played a couple times with BigE and he really rolls it well this way. I've also fooled around with it on some shorter putts and it surprises me how good it works. I should consider it myself :)

I think it's a great way to putt. But I can understand people shying away from it since it is so different and takes a little getting used to.

It's not a magic bullet: like anything, it requires some practice. I can make 50 four foot putts in a row with this method (I can't come close to this with a traditional putting method). Funny thing is - I'm only an average putter. I know I can start the ball on the line I want every time --> but I'm terrible at reading greens. (but that's ok as I was a "horrible" putter before going side saddle!! I couldn't read greens AND I couldn't consistently start the ball on the line I wanted. Not a good combination...lol.)

Moosejaa - if you ever want to give sidesaddle a real try - I have a whole bunch of sidesaddle putters. You're welcome to borrow one to fool around with for as long as you want. It's hard to sidesaddle putt with a traditional putter; you need the lie angle to be at the max allowed 80 degrees.

Moosejaa - if you ever want to give sidesaddle a real try - I have a whole bunch of sidesaddle putters. You're welcome to borrow one to fool around with for as long as you want. It's hard to sidesaddle putt with a traditional putter; you need the lie angle to be at the max allowed 80 degrees.

Thanks Eric, I may take you up on that. I'll have you bring one if we get out for a round this season.

Just wanted to let you know that my DF putter finally worked it's way into my bag and I've been putting lights out with lately. Shot a personal best 78 the other day and a big part of that was a 29 putt round with my DF putter.

Just witnessed my first person ever doing this over the weekend. Looked very odd, but he drained a 25 footer.

I have been so bad on the greens this year that I finally picked up a used sidesaddle putter yesterday for $35. I'm willing to play around with it for a while. I've seen BigE drain everything in sight and it's worth a few hours of practice to see how it goes. FWIW, the guy in the shop was very entusiastic about this with the caveat that it will take a lot of practice. We shall see.

I have been so bad on the greens this year that I finally picked up a used sidesaddle putter yesterday for $35. I'm willing to play around with it for a while. I've seen BigE drain everything in sight and it's worth a few hours of practice to see how it goes. FWIW, the guy in the shop was very entusiastic about this with the caveat that it will take a lot of practice. We shall see.

If you want to get together on the putting green sometime - let me know. I could walk you through everything you need to be thinking about with sidesaddle putting. It's a great way to putt - but it's not a magic bullet. It certainly needs to be practiced!

Btw - what sidesaddle putter did you pick up?

It's a CB7. Not sure it's my favorite but the price was right to start. I can already see the validity of the theory, but there is going to be a lot of practice involved. One thing I have learned is that the alignment of everything has to be perfect or it is all over.

It's a CB7. Not sure it's my favorite but the price was right to start. I can already see the validity of the theory, but there is going to be a lot of practice involved. One thing I have learned is that the alignment of everything has to be perfect or it is all over.

I found it easier "to line everything up" with sidesaddle vs traditional putting. You see the same line putting that you saw when you stood behind the ball.

I have been putting side saddle (face on) for about 3 years now and would never go back. I used to use a 48" long Ping B-90 Isopur but anchored it up my left arm and into my armpit. It was awesome until the anchor ban and I had to find something else.
I have an extensive array of putters specifically designed for face on putting from the GP to the Bobby Grace and Reeso Cooke putters and find that my custom Bobby Grace F-body "Lets Face It" with asskicker shaft is my go to putter.

I use a "plumb bob" type system so I can move the putter straight back and straight through. The weight of the putter (heavy) makes sure there are no side vectors to worry about.

Love it and will never go back unless the USGA does something stupid and bans side saddle putting

Let me know if you need any help

Isn't this a hybrid of Nicklaus's putting method...open stance to the hole so he could see the line / hole out of his left eye? Do any tour pro's use this method?

I love sidesaddle putting.
And I love the Bobby Grace F22 Sidesaddle putter I've been using this summer.
I've been making everything with it!
While talking with Bobby Grace, he asked me to shoot a couple video's of me using the sidesaddle stroke with his putter.
He's thinking he might put them up on his website for folks who could be interested in trying this style of putting.
Here are the video's I sent to him. I thought I'd share them for any folks here who may someday be interested in giving this putting method a try.
They're about 8 foot putts.
I shot them right after finishing up my league last night.
I'm putting so well right now I made both putts on the 1st shoot.
No re-takes needed! LOL.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymrk238rh0z3fod/VID_20180614_201721210.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/63r4wre6hmy88pa/VID_20180614_201330493.mp4?dl=0

BigE, how tall are you and what length is you side-saddle putter?

Have you learned/discovered anything new regarding side-saddle putting since you last posted?

Thx,
Joe

BigE, how tall are you and what length is you side-saddle putter?

Have you learned/discovered anything new regarding side-saddle putting since you last posted?

Thx,
Joe

I'm 6'0" and use a 46" inch putter.
Haven't learned anything new - I think I have my putter and SS mechanics down.
I just need to become a better green reader!...lol....

Back