Signed up for a Golftec Swing Evaluation. Anything I should know before going?

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
I was planning on using the pro at my course for lessons this summer, but the same time I finally contacted him, I injured my ribs. Now that I'm back and ready to start lessons again the winter is here and he's on his way to warmer weather for a much needed vacation.

With that being said, I don't want the winter to go to waste and I want to get an early jump on 2015, so I signed up for a Golftec swing evaluation. I like technology and like the idea of instant feedback. I'm guessing if it goes well, I'll sign up for some package.

Does anyone have any advice on what type of package to look at or have any pre-swing evaluation advice? All feedback is much appreciated.

I went through GolfTec's Training Camp this past winter and really enjoyed the experience. It's pricey but I felt like it was worth it in the end because of what I took away, in terms of understanding proper swing mechanics and the improvements I've made in my game. The technology, the at-home drills and my coach were excellent. The Swing Evaluation is always the first step with GolfTec and it allows the instructor to diagnose issues with your swing and have an open discussion with you about your goals, strengths and weaknesses so (if you decide to buy a package) they can lay out a customized plan for you. Yes, they will try to sell you during the Swing Evaluation but you don't have any obligation to buy anything if you aren't comfortable with the experience or the instructor.

I kept a pretty comprehensive diary of my experiences that you can check out here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...3857-Orange-Hog-s-GolfTec-Training-Camp-Diary

Wow what an awesome thread! I am only on day 2 of your posts but your feedback is exactly what I'm looking for.

Don't want to be the negative person here but save your money. If you're getting the free evaluation go for it but they are pricey and not worth the money IMO. Cheaper to get a lot of lessons from a pro

The main thing you need to know is that they are gonna put the full court press on you to buy their lessons.

Last edited:
My experience was that they wanted to completely overhaul my/your swing and based on my goals it was gonna cost over $2k to get there for a few months of lessons but major financial commitment upfront. Not.

I like the fact that they have good video feedback, nice web based recaps of the lessons and in the winter it is nice to practice (up charge) indoors. I don't like not seeing my ball flight realtime and oh the cost is too much for this homeboy.

Make sure you understand that if you sign up for the package the evaluation is "free". If you don't sign up that day you are scratching a check.

I'd wait until they have a special to save some money, but I'll say that it did wonders for my game. I dropped from a 12 to a 7 in a few months. You have to put in the work outside of the lessons though in order for it to work.

I had a free lesson with them through promotion at ATT National two years ago. I also got a free swing fix lesson that same day. Both were videos sent to the respective company. I was not impressed with the feedback I got from golftec and from talking to,others who went to,them for lessons I would not consider them as an option. Too expensive and don't want major swing changes. If I was just starting out and had never really played before I might consider it. To many good instructors who are cheaper.

I had my swing evaluation this morning and I am so impressed with the results after 1 session. My biggest issue was pulling the ball consistently and it became evident that I was not turning my hips and I was flipping my wrists at impact. I could not believe how obvious this flaw was when seeing it on video. Anyway, after some quick coaching and a few drills I looked like a different golfer and the pulling was gone!

There was absolutely no pressure to buy training devices or sign up for a package. However, I ended up signing up for the Game Plan 6-15 package, which will get me 15 lessons and 6 months of video practice along with a fitting and 2 mobile lessons. Frankly I don't need the fitting so that is actually converted to 2 additional, 30 min lessons.

So far, I'm extremely impressed with Golftec and wish I had done it sooner.

Here are a few pics from the bay:
DB89C2BF-A020-4DE7-B9D9-50E09C53EEA1_zpsulk9dki0.jpg

A476CAD9-63DC-476D-8C0C-BABB4151504D_zpsxrfgo1g4.jpg

DCA12004-BDF7-4BBB-9C5E-CDF594A118B8_zpsjjxfdd7e.jpg

If you decide to buy a lesson package they should be willing to throw in a good many practice sessions where you can use their launch monitor.

If you can take advantage of the unlimited practice sessions its kind of worth it, but I did a 10 lesson package and came away unimpressed based on the cost. I found a great swing coach at a resort who charges half and I got 1 hour lessons instead of half hour lessons.

And they try and upsell you/renewal you constantly.

If you can take advantage of the unlimited practice sessions its kind of worth it, but I did a 10 lesson package and came away unimpressed based on the cost. I found a great swing coach at a resort who charges half and I got 1 hour lessons instead of half hour lessons.

And they try and upsell you/renewal you constantly.
Truth buddy! Pressure sales tactics. An expiration of unused lessons and practice sessions. An instructor who could amend his teaching ways to get a message or technique across. One size doesn't fit all when teaching. Then you add in that it's all mechanically based swing technique. For me it was more about getting my lower body to a certain number in degrees rather than creating a feeling associated with those numbers. The other thing I will say is, unless you're prepared to commit to a regular practice regime both at GolfTec and on the range/course it's not a program you can get a lesson ever few weeks and expect success. I don't mind putting in the work, but others in my family weren't that way. I would be very cautious of committing to a program with them.

Dang I was really hoping for more positive vibes from folks. I want to get a driver fitting at golftec this winter but it sounds like it may not be as simple as I wanted. Or maybe simple but not cheap.

Truth buddy! Pressure sales tactics. An expiration of unused lessons and practice sessions. An instructor who could amend his teaching ways to get a message or technique across. One size doesn't fit all when teaching. Then you add in that it's all mechanically based swing technique. For me it was more about getting my lower body to a certain number in degrees rather than creating a feeling associated with those numbers. The other thing I will say is, unless you're prepared to commit to a regular practice regime both at GolfTec and on the range/course it's not a program you can get a lesson ever few weeks and expect success. I don't mind putting in the work, but others in my family weren't that way. I would be very cautious of committing to a program with them.

Wow. I had no pressure at all from the sales side. That and I didn't have the same experience as you as far as learning either. For the most part whatever went wrong at contact was due to a problem that went before. I had great success in relating the data to feelings and to what was going on in my swing.
Putting in the work is key with any swing improvement program. Changing habits requires work and repetition. That is where I found GolfTec helpful. Video replay and working to improve each piece that needed work went faster because I could see what I was doing on each swing and feel the difference between good and bad.

Good communication between you and your coach is key - no matter who you take lessons from. That is what you need to find before committing to a plan for improvement.

Wow. I had no pressure at all from the sales side. That and I didn't have the same experience as you as far as learning either. For the most part whatever went wrong at contact was due to a problem that went before. I had great success in relating the data to feelings and to what was going on in my swing.
Putting in the work is key with any swing improvement program. Changing habits requires work and repetition. That is where I found GolfTec helpful. Video replay and working to improve each piece that needed work went faster because I could see what I was doing on each swing and feel the difference between good and bad.

Good communication between you and your coach is key - no matter who you take lessons from. That is what you need to find before committing to a plan for improvement.

Glad it was successful for you. Me personally I think there are cheaper options out there. That will get you to the end result your looking for. Enjoying the game and playing up to your abilities.

Initially I was a big Golftec fan but now...not so much... I think my lessons gave me a lot of good insight. The problem is they try to convince you you need weekly lessons over a long period of time and then give you something different to correct at every lesson. I couldn't keep up and after awhile the all the advice became a confusing jumble of noise in my brain. I got so confused by all the swing thoughts in my head that I took a huge step back in my progress. I think my instructor lost track of all the information he gave me and started to contradict himself. Bottom line: it can be helpful but don't be talked into the larger lesson package and a lot of weekly lessons. Start small and space the lessons out to either monthly or bi-weekly. Keep in mind their motivation is maximizing sales and profit - not cranking out the next Rory, Tiger, or Phil.

Back