Signing Incorrect Scorecard

Send an official score keeper / shot clock monitor with each group. Players confirm their score at the end of hole, any rules violations score can be corrected no DQ and play can be sped up by having every shot timed.

Asking for a ruling might be gamesmanship...trying to achieve the best possible outcome or it is I do not want to be further penalized, but it still is playing to the rules of the game. Now, with modern technology, the ability to dissect something or get a better look has dramatically increased. But, that's with everything. Technology makes everyone adapt. But, at the end of the round, if you have been as fair and honest with yourself and your play, you sign your name. No other sport really makes someone self-police themselves anymore. It wouldn't bother me at all if they stop it. It would just be one more antiquated rule removed.

No other sport really makes someone self-police themselves anymore.

I don't know any sport in history other than golf.... if there is I certainly can't recall... Agreed, is antiquated and time to move on.... gets rid of penalties for signing incorrect card.... that's being kept by 8,000 people.....

No other sport really makes someone self-police themselves anymore.

I don't know any sport in history other than golf.... if there is I certainly can't recall... Agreed, is antiquated and time to move on.... gets rid of penalties for signing incorrect card.... that's being kept by 8,000 people.....
plus doesn't each group already have an official scorer walking with them?

Have we reached a point with all of the technology that exists that signing an incorrect scorecard in golf should just go away? Why are tour players keeping their own score when the tournament does it for them anyway?

why you ask!!! Tradition!!!!

plus doesn't each group already have an official scorer walking with them?

No, they have a volunteer that keeps an unofficial score.

It does seem weird. But the smaller tours leading up to it might not have the same coverage, so they would still have to. But for the pga tour and it’s resources, I don’t fully get why they do. Just to catch them in the act of potentially signing it incorrectly? Sounds like a hyper jealous GF to me.

I'm sorry not sorry but sometimes life requires effort, and if you can't keep score or play by the rules you don't deserve a babysitter or to win, especially as a pro golfer. Especially since us amateurs don't have scorers and need to be responsible for our own score... not sure why the pros should get a pass. Now....

It's a good tradition and good practice for young players. At the tour level, with how closely everything is monitored, what's at stake, and the extreme consequences in error, it should be removed from player responsibilities. Like, yesterday.

It's tradition, JB. Don't be ridiculous. :sneaky:
How would we keep our scores then? We don’t have people following us like the tour guys do.

(this was a joke)

Sure, the technology is there but there’s something about signing your name to the card that makes it official. It’s the players affirmation that they shot X as their official score. Kind of like a bunch of documents in this world, electronic signatures just aren’t good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely need to get rid of this rule. The only thing more absurd then this rule is being assessed a penalty via TV call in and then getting assessed an additional penalty for signing for a score you thought was legit because you didn’t know about said penalty. It completely ridiculous.

I'm guessing it had something to do with honesty / integrity but it seems silly in today's game.

What integrity of the game though. Tradition? Sure. With that said they are calling in rulings at every chance. Up until recently they even allowed those at home to call in violations. They call violations based on HD and zoom cameras, none of this speaks to tradition.
I agree. I originally thought of tradition, but that’s gone out the window long ago.
Maybe this is one of the first things to change, and could help speed the game. You don’t ask the quarterback or starting centre to keep score, so why should this be the case in pro golf.
Anyway, I’m game for trying this out. But also have the “official scorer” be responsible for keeping track of and assessing penalties.

This rule is as stupid as the one that penalized you for fixing spike marks back in the day. Worse, the consequences are so severe; DQ for a simple mistake?!?!

I see these guys going over their scorecard after just winning a major, and I can't help but agonize over the thought that THIS is where they can blow the whole tournament... it's just stupid.

Agree, it's kept for them and I'd bet they would still know their score from memory. Just throw it out.

As a player I would like the opportunity to verify and check my official score at the end of the round and I'd sign it for the right to do so. However, once that is done, the round is over and in the books and nothing further can be done to the round. If the 3+ people agree on a score, then that is the score, it is over and done. At that point that makes it the official score and signing an incorrect card wouldn't even come into play. If there is some rules violation that needs to be looked at after the fact, too bad. Kind of like the next snap of the football, whatever the last play was, can't change it now.

Back