Snell Golf Balls Review Thread

98de619570503b063b1f19a12c84bce8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, okay, point made but photos don't tell the whole story -- when you hold the balls in your hands, CS is very shiney, Snell is a lot less shiney outside where it counts - to my eyes.

I like both - and I really like the way the Snell MTB Red hits the brakes on a green. Distance is excellent, too. Great ball.

Off the putter, the Snell has a bit more sound, the CS has less -- one might say the CS feels softer due to the sound, while the Snell is more direct due to the sound - I like both of them.

put the og mtb into play today. damn near the perfect golf ball for me. fantastic distance off every club, juice the crap out of most shots even on firm and fast greens. only small complaint is touch shots around the green it could stand to spin a little more than it does. but that is not enough to get me off this ball. so no more prov1x for me, the mtb is my gamer.

I've pondered these quite a bit, but have never gamed them. I just read through about 30 pages of nothing but great things to say about them and am going to pull the trigger. Off to go place an order...

i was doing a little chipping and pitching work at the short game area today. an older gentleman was there too, and we got to talking about snell. i gave him the balls i was chipping with so he could try them. cool coincidence with the podcast with golf unfiltered going up today!

As I posted in the other Snell thread today, I really enjoyed hitting the MTB Black off the tee today. Gained a ton of distance which I wasn't expecting...even on off center hits. Balls stop with iron shots into greens, but the greens are super soft and shaggy, so it remains to be seen how they are in that aspect.

They're a little firm around the greens, but we we're playing in sub 45* temps so I'll have to do some more work with them with the short game once it warms up a bit.

But certainly intrigued.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

As I posted in the other Snell thread today, I really enjoyed hitting the MTB Black off the tee today. Gained a ton of distance which I wasn't expecting...even on off center hits. Balls stop with iron shots into greens, but the greens are super soft and shaggy, so it remains to be seen how they are in that aspect.

They're a little firm around the greens, but we we're playing in sub 45* temps so I'll have to do some more work with them with the short game once it warms up a bit.

But certainly intrigued.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

around the greens, if you catch it in the sweet spot it will absolutely check. but if you mishit a little bit, it won't stop. at least that's been my experience with the og mtb.

Because of the weather this year, I have only been to the course one time and no time at a driving range. My swing is far from very good. This week before I played a full nine holes I spent some practice time on five holes comparing the Snell MTB Red Yellow to the Chrome Soft Yellow.

Distance: I compared drives, hybrids, and various iron shots and I did not see any difference between the two balls. I used a GPS so I was able to figure out how far they went. Winner - For now, they are tied.

Short Game Spin: Snell MTB Red has as much if not a little more short game hop and stop as the CS. I really need to spend a little more time to confirm. Winner - Snell MTB Red by just a small amount.

Durability: After practice and 9 holes of play, the CS had a couple of ball marks on it and I don’t think that I hit a cart part. The CS had no marks. Winner - Chrome Soft.

Feel: On full swings, the ball feels very good and for me they felt about the same. The only real distinction is on putting. The CS felt softer off the putter than the Snell MTB Red but nothing to be concerned about. I made some very good putts with the MTB Red. Winner - tied.

Visibility: The Snell MTB Red is a little brighter yellow and I was able to follow it better with bad eyesight. Winner - Snell MTB Red.

Price: The new Chrome Soft is $45 plus tax per dozen while Snell MTB Red is $32 per dozen. This is a no brainer. Winner - Snell MTB Red by a wide margin.

Summary: I have not played much this year so my game is not near where it should or will be. I really need to play several 18 hole rounds to come up with a more solid conclusion but so far, I like the Snell MTB Red in Yellow. It performs as well or better than the CS that I normally play and the price is much better.

I hope to come back in a few weeks with several rounds under my belt and will let you know if the MTB Red is my new gamer. I think it might be.

I've been playing these balls since day 1. They are top notch balls made by the Michael Jordan of the golf ball industry. The company wants to produce the best ball for the cheapest price so people don't break the bank. I live in Titleist world here in Mass and Snell is the ball being played around here. The only Titleist balls I see in these parts are research balls, or test balls because 35% of the city works for titliest and they get them for free. I've also played golf with some of the engineers over here and they all say Dean Snell was a big big loss for the company.

@Snickerdog

I'm really interested to try these balls. I just haven't pulled the trigger on them for some stupid reason and about 5 dozen CS Truvis later (though I DO love that ball).

I went ahead and ordered a dozen of the black to try.

Back