So, what's your game plan?

RayG

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
16th at Lido Golf Club on Long Island. Classic Robert Trent Jones Design that was built over the remains of the original Lido Golf Club by C.B. MacDonald/Seth Raynor. This is supposedly a replica of the original 16th hole. Tee box is marked with the dot, with yardages to the ends noted. the hatched area is thick rough- although there used to be a trap at the edge next to the lagoon. From the left side approach, its about 185 and from the right side approach it is 195 to center. Whaddya got?Lido16.jpg

Par 4? Or 5?

Driver to the 250 side, distance to green looks about the same so 3 wood and trying for on in 2. Likely in trap and trying to save par without cussing to much. ?

that's a miserable looking hole.

probably long iron right, long iron into the hole.

probably long iron right, long iron into the hole.

Yep. Ignore the visuals and just hit two good iron shots.

Even if I was a left to right player I don't think I'd take that one from the left. Begging for trouble.

Last edited:
I would play a 4-iron (200 yards) or 3 hybrid (210 yards)off the tee, to the right side of the fairway, and hope to leave myself about 220 to the green. I would play my approach to the front left part of the green, where a miss would leave me short left of the green with a relatively easy chip/pitch shot.

Since it's a par 5 - I'm taking around 230 out over the right hand side of the rough stuff, and that should put me on that right side.

I'm also not sure how you're stating the right side is further away from the green than the left, but maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

Either way, that's a long iron into the green and that's something I'd take all day into a par 5. As long as my tee shot is decent, I'm thinking birdie easy with a shot at eagle with a good iron from the fairway.

Playing for a score?

5i,7i,W

For ? and giggles

Driver/DoD/putt for iggle

Not a fan of this hole at all and I'd probably play it for an easy boring par every time. I'd still make my share of birdies playing safe too. It looks like a 170 yard tee shot to a gigantic target comes up short of any trouble. Another safe 170 yard layup leaves 100 in. I'm a short knocker, but even for me 2 easy 6 irons leaves a gap wedge at most.

Playing for a score?

5i,7i,W

For ? and giggles

Driver/DoD/putt for iggle

your :poop: and giggles golfing is pretty good.

Not a fan of this hole at all and I'd probably play it for an easy boring par every time. I'd still make my share of birdies playing safe too. It looks like a 170 yard tee shot to a gigantic target comes up short of any trouble. Another safe 170 yard layup leaves 100 in. I'm a short knocker, but even for me 2 easy 6 irons leaves a gap wedge at most.

Ah, yes... but that 170 layup from which side? From left- Along the strip of second fairway, little room from left to right. Right side- you better be precise with that 170. A bit fat, you’re wet, a bit thin you’re into the far hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, yes... but that 170 layup from which side? From left- Along the strip of second fairway, little room from left to right. Right side- you better be precise with that 170. A bit fat, you’re wet, a bit thin you’re into the far hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neither side. It looks like I could go 170 yards straight at the middle of that patch of rough off the tee and stay short of it. I'd probably favor the right slightly but 170 yards is not reaching any trouble anywhere . Assuming I pull off that easy tee shot to a target that looks to be about 80 yards wide, another 170 straight ahead or maybe a touch right on shot #2 looks to be safe too unless I'm missing something? From there it's just 100 tops to the center of that green. So long as I don't let greed persuade me to play it riskier this one looks like a boring par all day. Sometimes it's a blessing to be a short knocker.

I am hitting driver to the 275 side. Seems like a less demanding shot and there is runway for the 2nd shot from that side. I feel like the right side is 2 target golf shots which I am not great at with long clubs in my hand.

I hit driver to the wrong hole end up in front of the other green and have like 180 in

About five 7-irons.

That is one short 5 which (for a change) is actually worthy of being called a 5.
This just looks hard. I honestly don't know what id do. Id have to see it from the tee in person.

Duckhook the tee shot into the water. Drop in the ladies tee box. 6 iron to the left side of the island. 7 iron over the water. Wedge of some sort onto the green. Two putt for a double. With that much water, I would not play that course.

Id have to see it from the tee in person.

This ^ is one of the reasons I love the gps apps, google earth, etc. When I was younger I used to say that all the time, and it worked for me. I'd get a feel for it from the tee, and then get after it. All the years away must have changed it or something. Now I look at an aerial view or whatever and often find myself thinking 'what it looks like/what it feels like I should do really doesn't make as much sense when you look at it like this'. I try to trust the objective view and keep my stinking thinking out of it. I feel like it shortens the learning curve for me, especially on new courses. I always scout them ahead of time. Everyone has their own way of going about things though. Not knocking it at all.

Seeing as I can hit a fade on command with the driver, I would be aiming at the left cart path and fading it back towards the fairway with my tee shot, or taking my 2i and just hitting it straight at the left side of the fairway depending on the wind

If I was playing for a score, the second shot would be a mid iron to the fairway and leave myself with a wedge to put it close, but if just out for some fun I would be going for the green

Okay- a few different strats going on... Now, I will add the element that is the real protector of this place. And that is the wind. When the summer breeze kicks in, the predominant direction is hard off the left quartering from behind. It can be 15-25 steady with gusts. It is a fairly open property so there is no protection from the wind no matter which direction it's blowing, making it a different course nearly every day. I've been lucky this year to play it under "Chamber of Commerce" type of conditions a couple of times. Bright sun, 70* and essentially no wind at all. But I've also played it in 30mph winds from 2 or 3 completely different directions.

3/4 hybrid down the left side, probably 5i after that, and whatever appropriate wedge is left.

4H down the left off the tee. If I'm hitting it well that day, a 5W second which should put me near the front of the green or perhaps on. If not, I'll lay up with the second to leave about 100 in.

3 iron down the left side. Not sure what that leaves me in. Is the 185 yards from the edge of the fairway on that side? But, that would leave me the ability to miss my next shot short depending on how far out I am after the 3 iron. The left just looks so much easier to me.

Back