So, You Want to Be a Great Putter

leftshot

Remember to smile
Reaction score
I thought it was time to start a thread for those of us who are serious about becoming a great putter. We've got other threads on putting, but my hope is this one will be focused on those who are really serious about becoming great.

Lots of stuff we can share. What makes a player a great putter? Top instruction we've seen or used that really moved the needle that we can share with others. Essential elements of putting that are necessary to produce great results. Practice that makes perfect (or as close as humanly possible). Share your successes as well as what you tried that didn't work. Basically, I'm hoping to create a forum/support group for players who really want to get great at putting.

Note: The categories for this thread are limited. Please do not let the categorization limit your discussion. We really do want to explore all the avenues listed above (and more) in a quest for putting greatness!

Last edited:
Former bad putter here. I struggled for a long time with my putting, especially inside of 5 feet. But in the last 2 or 3 years, Ive gotten really good. So good that Im nearly automatic from inside of 5 feet believe I will makeall inside of 10 feet as well. There are a few things that helped me get my putting to this level:

1. Understand your putting stroke and the amount of arc it has and choose a putter with the toe hang that matches that. This is SO VERY IMPORTANT. Getting your ball started on your line is the most important thing needed to make putts and selecting the right toe hang will help make that happen more often than not. It is my belief that the vast majority of golfers should be using 1/4 toe hang putters because most of us have a slight arc in our stroke.

2. Inside of 5 feet, choose the more direct line and hit your putts firmly, even when facing a slippery downhiller. Most putts inside of 5 feet can be played within the edges of the hole if hit firmly. So dont give up the hole, trust your line, and give it a ride

3. Confidence!!! Even if you arent confident at all, TELL yourself that YOU WILL MAKE THIS PUTT!!! Fight back against the nervousness and address the ball with belief. Add in the belief that even if you miss, you will still make the next one. Confidence really does make a difference on the greens. I told myself I would make those putts long before I ever did start making them.

Former bad putter here. I struggled for a long time with my putting, especially inside of 5 feet. But in the last 2 or 3 years, Ive gotten really good. So good that Im nearly automatic from inside of 5 feet believe I will makeall inside of 10 feet as well. There are a few things that helped me get my putting to this level:

1. Understand your putting stroke and the amount of arc it has and choose a putter with the toe hang that matches that. This is SO VERY IMPORTANT. Getting your ball started on your line is the most important thing needed to make putts and selecting the right toe hang will help make that happen more often than not. It is my belief that the vast majority of golfers should be using 1/4 toe hang putters because most of us have a slight arc in our stroke.

2. Inside of 5 feet, choose the more direct line and hit your putts firmly, even when facing a slippery downhiller. Most putts inside of 5 feet can be played within the edges of the hole if hit firmly. So dont give up the hole, trust your line, and give it a ride

3. Confidence!!! Even if you arent confident at all, TELL yourself that YOU WILL MAKE THIS PUTT!!! Fight back against the nervousness and address the ball with belief. Add in the belief that even if you miss, you will still make the next one. Confidence really does make a difference on the greens. I told myself I would make those putts long before I ever did start making them.

These are good points and I would add practice to this. I spend a large amount of my practice time making 3, 5 and 6 foot putts. The confidence that you develop seeing lots of short putts going in the hole carries over to longer putts. If you have a lot of confidence inside of 5 feet it frees you up on longer putts and my long putting has improved even though I spend 70% of my time on the shorter putts.

Improving putter here. Originally I just used a putting mat with lines. This helped get my stoke consistent as well as with speed. Recently I purchased the eyeliner putting mirror. While it was a bit to get used to it is really fine tuning my stroke and starting the ball on my line.

Trust your read. If you are questioning it the odds are against making a good stroke. I’ll use a nice dark line on my ball and line it up to my line. This will tell me if I made a bad stroke if the line isn’t rolling end over end, or abad read and I put a good stroke on the ball.

For me, pace control is much more important than line, then reading the green properly to work on your line after you have that as good as you can get it.

With the correct pace and finishing flag high, you'll rarely finish more than 6 feet away, even if your line is a good bit off. That's where reading the green comes in next.

If the course has a putting practice area I find it important to spend 5 mins before teeing off, getting a rough idea of the pace of their greens in those particular conditions that day.

These are good points and I would add practice to this. I spend a large amount of my practice time making 3, 5 and 6 foot putts. The confidence that you develop seeing lots of short putts going in the hole carries over to longer putts. If you have a lot of confidence inside of 5 feet it frees you up on longer putts and my long putting has improved even though I spend 70% of my time on the shorter putts.
I agree with you here even though I dont spend much time on putts of any particular distance. My focus is always on speed and line. If I know I have good speed and Im hitting my line, then I dont care how long the putt is. That is just me though so Im not sure I can recommend that to everyone

That is one thing I am trying to work on is more short game play. Either with chips or putting, it is a skill that could drop a couple of shots from my game. I still feel like I waste too many shots by not getting the chip off the green or the longer putt close enough to the hole. Definitely want to follow this thread

Yep, subscribing because putting is the one area really holding me back. Lag putts the last 2 rounds have been subpar, and this has led to a lack of confidence in my putting stroke. Trying to get back into the groove, with lots of practice throughout the day on my putting mat. Need to get out to the practice green more as well, and work on those lag putts.

To be a great putter, you need to 1) be able to read greens well, 2) be able to master your speed, and 3) have a stroke that starts on your intended line and rolls well (end-over-end, no side spin, optimal loft/launch).

There are an infinite number of ways to get all that done, but poor and mediocre putting means that there are deficiencies in one or more of those 3 things and practice should identify the points of weakness and how to improve.

For me, the main point is, what am I doing to actually improve my putting? Many of us just go out on a practice green and putt balls back and forth and then go proudly announce, "I worked on putting for an hour today." No you didn't. You hit putts.

You need a specific goal for your putting practice.
- Are you rolling putts down a ruler to see if you're starting them online?
- Are you putting down a chalk line?
- Have you had someone look at your posture?
- Etc - numerous other drills your instructor may have suggested

I came to the realization that if I wasn't focusing on a drill to improve a specific part of my putting, I wasn't accomplishing anything. Now, whenever I'm on the putting green other than when just getting ready for a round, I'm focusing on something specific.

For me, pace control is much more important than line, then reading the green properly to work on your line after you have that as good as you can get it.

With the correct pace and finishing flag high, you'll rarely finish more than 6 feet away, even if your line is a good bit off. That's where reading the green comes in next.
Nick, seems to me that if the line is wrong your chance of sinking a putt is zero from anything except point blank distance. It's true that your leave may be closer to the hole, but again if your line is wrong you aren't going to sink the second putt either unless it's really really close to the cup. Am I missing something? I'm not saying pace isn't important. Quite the contrary, I think pace, line, and green reading are all important.

To be a great putter, you need to 1) be able to read greens well, 2) be able to master your speed, and 3) have a stroke that starts on your intended line and rolls well (end-over-end, no side spin, optimal loft/launch).

There are an infinite number of ways to get all that done, but poor and mediocre putting means that there are deficiencies in one or more of those 3 things and practice should identify the points of weakness and how to improve.
As I am sure you know because of the way you put it, the "rolls well" aspect is one of the most overlooked aspects of great putting. If you don't roll the ball well it creates inconsistency in your distance and the line (path) your ball will take.

Can I ask with due respect , @10 feet 40 % on tour are made and sub 10 ft 88 % made , your numbers surpass that?

l think putting isfar easier if one plays the same track week on week, lf you play differing courses with weather conditions and differing green speed, metrics are very difficult to measure, equally green topography also has impact.

As for a singular method for all players , l think like putters no one answer or anser lol fits all

lf the stroke is repeatable , don’t alter it, that’s required is square face for milliseconds of impact , along the chosen line *
Anything before impact or post impact is irrelevant.
Line can again be the sum of speed and path taken, depending on the velocity of the ball , this could be a number of solutions.
Nothing in this game is absolutes otherwise there would not be a media full of a multitudes of methods, solutions, salves, tools, aids, lessons ,podcasts and print.
Regardless of all of above , there wouldn’t be a player on the planet who hasn’t wished wistfully for the more perfect putt or snatched the ball from the hole with gnashed teeth , a colourful expletive , and renewed vow not to let happen again 😁😁

Nick, seems to me that if the line is wrong your chance of sinking a putt is zero from anything except point blank distance. It's true that your leave may be closer to the hole, but again if your line is wrong you aren't going to sink the second putt either unless it's really really close to the cup. Am I missing something? I'm not saying pace isn't important. Quite the contrary, I think pace, line, and green reading are all important.
For pace control I'm generally talking about longer putts, outside 10-15 feet. The average golfer isn't going to make those 95% of the time, so lagging up to the hole is very important IMO in those situations. Racing it past or fluffing it short by 5 to 6 feet is a recipe for too many 3 putts per round.

Sure from 6 feet or closer you aren't going to be worried about leaving it short unless you hit it bad or die on the stroke. That's when reading and hitting it on line becomes more important for me. The ones you hope and maybe start to expect to make maybe 6 or 7 times out of 10.

If you're leaving your longer putts 6 feet away more often than not though, then over 18 greens, you're going to have more than a couple of 3 putts. Maybe even a 4 putt if you over compensate on your 2nd putt and hit it too far past after coming up short.

Last edited:
As for techniques, personally I'm a big fan of taking my practice swings whilst staring at the hole. I keep that putter head going back and forth constantly while adjusting my swing length until I've dialled in what I feel is the correct weight. Then get behind the ball nice and square to your line. One quick glance back at the hole and then hit it with the same length swing I decided on.

It generally works well for me with regards pace control. I rarely come up more than a couple of feet short.

Reading and hitting it on line for me is usually about picking a spot about a foot ahead of the ball and focusing on rolling it over that.

Can I ask with due respect , @10 feet 40 % on tour are made and sub 10 ft 88 % made , your numbers surpass that?
I didnt say that I do make them all or give any numbers about that. I am talking about belief. I do believe that I will make them all. I dont, of course, but I do make a hefty share of them. But, I couldnt put a % on it.

I didnt say that I do make them all or give any numbers about that. I am talking about belief. I do believe that I will make them all. I dont, of course, but I do make a hefty share of them. But, I couldnt put a % on it.
Apologies lve misread the intent ) .... 😬 all good, it’s another of golfs dark arts 😃

Ok, going to ask this. What defines a "great" putter? It reminds me of the swing thoughts thread and the question of what defines a successful swing? Is it putting consistency, reading lines, distance putting, or everything one can think of about putting?

You have to start by telling yourself — and truly believing — that

Anyone ever just walk up to the ball, address it, see what you see, then let it go?

No reading from 4 sides, aimpoint, devices, practice strokes, yadda, yadda. Nothing. All feel.

Some of you might be surprised....

The mental side is huge.

There are only two outcomes when you putt: in the hole, or not in the hole.

Considering we all average > 1 putt per hole, there needs to be selective memory going on that works in your favor. Having a vivid, detailed memory of the good that lasts is helpful, but so is the ability to learn from the bad, then "POOF" it's gone.

James Robinson did a good video where he had a lesson from a Tour Coach. The big thing I took away from it was two things. Keeping the ball at least in the middle of your stance or further back so you don't hit up on the ball, and not swinging the putter head further through than I do back, so not to accelerate but more of a natural swing.

It's got me in the mood again actually, so I'm going to nip down the local range and do a few putting drills.

I've recently bought a new Ray Cook putter so need some practice with it.

Edit - Link to video

Anyone ever just walk up to the ball, address it, see what you see, then let it go?

No reading from 4 sides, aimpoint, devices, practice strokes, yadda, yadda. Nothing. All feel.

Some of you might be surprised....
I think that works if you play a course you are very familiar with, (your home course for instance) but on a new course or one you have only played once or twice I don't think this works. At the same time, I agree you don't always need to see a putt from every side either.

Even a “strange” course. Just a “what are my instincts telling me” point of view. Similar to archery, skeet shooting, or basketball. Like hitting irons or wedges into greens without a yardage. Some fellas today would have a heart attack playing with only a few yardage stakes along the fairway.

Art vs. Science

I consider myself a better than average putter, among amateurs. For me, it's been being able to hit a straight putt on my chosen line. Imo, all putts are straight putts to a spot on the green, that's not always the cup.

My straight putt practice involves a coin placed on a known level surface, 18" +/- inches in front of the ball. I then practice rolling the ball over that coin. When playing, i will use an intermediate spot on the green, in front of the ball.

Next, it's been being able to read the greens, to decide on my chosen lines.

My green reading practice is nothing more than visually seeing how I think the ball will track to the cup. I actually practice reading greens. My reads start as I approach the hole, and becomes more focused the closer I get to the actual putt. Imo, reading greens is where most "great" putters separate themselves from the not so "great" putters. Like most golfers, I'm a much better putter on my home course greens.

Instruction wise, I have yet to find a reliable source that works for green reading.

For me, green reading also comes into play for my chips, and pitches. Doing this allows for much shorter first putts, and even hole outs. (No putts)

After those two, it's been practice, practice, and more practice from 15' and closer to the cup. I use 15' feet (and closer) because that's where most of my first putts start from.

The toughest putts I face are those putts with double breaks involved. For those putts, I read the green backwards from the cup to the ball. I do this to find the spot where the second break starts. I want to roll the ball over that second break's starting point.

Another aspect of putting is getting use to the different green speeds encountered, as soon as possible. It's been my experience that in a 3-5+ hour round, green speeds will change from hole to hole. Not very much, but some. Some greens will have more shade on them than others. Maybe the mower guy is working in front of the golfer. Watering schedules my be different in various areas. Imo, this is one of the "feel areas" of golf that require on course adjustments.

Out here, we sometimes have to deal with surface level winds on greens. Winds that can knock a rolling ball off it's intended line. This is a tough aspect of putting. I just take the medicine that is handed to me.

One thing I dont worry to much about is the grain of the grass. Unless the green is a few days late in mowing, there's a low sun involved, or it's different type of grass I'm use to playing on, grain has never been an issue for me. My swing guru 30 years ago taught me this.

All in all, to become a decent putter requires hours, and hours of practice.

Back