Social Golfer Research

mattywire

Reaction score
Hi,

Everyone I’m doing some research, on social golfers and what they look for when trying out a new course and searching for it online. It would be very helpful if you tell me what you look for in a new course, by this I mean would you like it to be well maintained (fairways/tee boxes and greens kept in good shape, average/more obstacles of water, bunkers. Also is there anything else that you look for in trying a new course more relaxed dress code etc.

Also, if you had a choice on how you would search for these courses would you like drop down boxes that you could select exactly what you’re searching for in a course of other people reviews, would this be helpful to you or does it not matter?

Thanks

Matthew

I look at layout first; does the course cram itself into a tiny space? Does it meander through the landscape? Is it surrounded by housing developments? Courses that take into account the natural landscape are more interesting to me. I will also look at slope and rating to see if the course will be a good test of abilities; if the course maxes out at a low slope/rating from the tips, there may not be much variety from tee box to tee box. Price is another factor. It hurts when a course is great but I cannot afford to play it very often, or at all.

being able to search by different course attributes would be helpful. Maybe at least by slope/rating, length, area, or reviews.

I look at prices, distance, and reviews. Those are the three that get my eye every time. They all have to mesh for me to book.

THP is a great first stop. Ask a question or two and you'll likely get a good amount of insight on the course. Then, I'll check out recent reviews, yardage/slope/rating, condition, price and relative ease of getting a tee time. I've never thought to search whether a course supports a lax dress code or a more traditional one.

Good question. In somewhat an order of importance, these are what I look for:

1. Location
2. Course condition
3. Course layout/interesting features
4. Recommendation from others
5. Price
6. Tee time availability
7. Other amenities (warm-up facilities, driving range, bar/grill)
8. Dress code

7. Other amenities (warm-up facilities, driving range, bar/grill)
Yep, I didn't add practice facilities to my list. Those are incredibly important to me when I'm looking at a course.

When I'm wanting to find a new place to play:

1. Google "Golf courses near _________"
2. Look to see which ones are open to the public. Usually there are dates, so you get an idea what to expect depending on what time of year.
3. Read some reviews and look at pictures on Google of the courses.
4. Check out the courses website. Look up the slope/rating, yardage, layout, rates. If there's no official website, I'm not going lol.
5. Check out the courses food options or places to eat around the course. The after round meal is pretty important for me.
6. Pick the course or courses I want to play.

I know all the courses in my area, so I do this for vacation or when I'm traveling for work. I've found some gems around where I go for work.

Location and course condition vs perceived value/price is 1a and 1b.

I dont think anyone will ever use a dropdown search based on type of hazard.

People complain about dress codes all the time, but never seen anyone decline a nice course due to dress code requirements.

Sounds like you are trying to create a new way to search for courses. However, the number 1 way people choose courses is by reputation and recent online reviews.

Ooh! Someone's building an app...:unsure:

THP first.
Google next.
Other reviews afterwards.

Price for play is something to sort on
Dress code would be nice. Especially for a course that doesn't/won't put it on their website.
Link to website
Link to photos
Link to weather forecast
Link to local golf equipment stores and sales
Link to social media of people that have checked in at the course recently
Link to drone footage of the course and parking lot. Hey, if you're wanting to build an app, BUILD an app!:ROFLMAO:

Is there a bar? What’s on tap? Is beer served on Sunday? Is beer served before noon? In that order.

For me I care most about the layout and if it feels fun to play. Do I feel like I’ll be playing the same round every time or same shot every hole? I don’t want that. Next I consider price and finally location.

Price always first then dress code or lack of. Generally whatever I have on which is usually cargo shorts, t-shirt and sandals. Do have nice Footjoy sandals though.

When we travel, it really doesn't matter to me. Golf is golf, no matter the conditions. It could be a converted cow pasture, or something with a pga pro's name attached to it.

When we stop for the night, I google the area for a golf course. If it's close by, easy to find, and I want to play, that's good enough.

I have played just every course in Southern Nevada which is where I live. 99% of the time, I only play 3 courses. 2 are surrounded (fairways) by homes, and one is pretty wide open.

The 1% is usually a spur of the moment decision with family, and/or friends.

Price is not a big deal, as I shoot the same scores regardless of how much my green fees are.

I'm a gomf junkie. I have real criteria.

Price is first, not that I will not pay a high price, but that the course has to justify it. Second, the greens need to have some undulation and not be full of dead spots or super slow. Third, is well maintained fairways which allow at least some roll out.
Also, nobody like to play hole after hole of straight par4s and 150 yard par3s. We all like to have some design variation between holes.

1. Tee time. 2. Tee time. 3. Tee time. 4. Location. 5. Course design/layout. 6. Quality of maintenance / upkeep. 7. Amenities (range, practice facility). 8. Price.

Unfortunately where I am in life, free time to play golf is really in short supply. So I’m often restricted to like a 5 hour window on a weekend (if I’m lucky) and I jump on GolfNOW and my local muni’s website to see what availabilities are during that time range. And then pick from the best golf course that’s available while considering distance from home and quality / layout. As you can imagine during COVID with the influx of new golfers it’s really slim pickings. Price is not much of a consideration — I don’t play enough to dent the bank account and I really cherish the little time when I do get to play this game.

So you post the question and then never follow up.....Hmmm...Predominantly for me I am a follower of wanting to play new courses and mostly a better course than not. How do I determine better...I look at databases of rankings of golf courses. All things being equal I'll hope to play the better one. If the better one is substantially more expensive I'll defer to lower ranked unless the better is really much better.

Hi everyone,

I would to thank everyone who posted, it really has helped with my research.

Thanks

Matthew

Back