I cut the rest of Popeye’s post to leave only the pertinent part for length and soft stepping. I would guess your friend didn’t butt trim the shaft after installing it in the club head.
This is helpful. I think this is where I was getting hung up. Wasn’t sure if I had to keep them .5” long to have them be softstepped.

If the shaft is installed into a head and is set up for a player. That shaft has a playing length, that is .75 longer than standard. Then soft stepped, you would have to cut .25 off the shaft to get it to standard playing length.
Club heads have a variety of hosel lengths. So, taking a random set of pulls and hoping they will just match up to another random head won't work. You will need to fine tune the length one way or the other.
I'm not sure I can explain that any better.
There is no set length from a manufacturer. There are intended trim codes for non taper tips. For taper tips they get club head specific. So thats how soft stepping sort of became a thing. Putting head specific shafts into un intended heads.
Final playing length is purely up to the end user. Trimming the butt end has almost no effect on playing flex.
Swing weight has more effect on flex than length of club. But now you get into length of club effecting swing weight without adding weight.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I've experimented with soft stepping with some success but didn't butt trim because I may reuse that shaft as a standard shaft again, I prefer to change the grip characteristics by more wrap's under the bottom half of the grip so I can have what I call a multi purpose iron. Going down the grip an inch or more changes the flight distance etc as I only play a half set because I can't carry a full set, makes for shot making that sometimes is great 👍 and sometimes really bad 😞 but I enjoy the contest 😁

Back