AverageJoe

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone soft stepped graphite iron shafts? Most of the info Im finding online is for steel shafts.

It's the same principal. Not many graphite shafts are taper tip. Most articles apply to taper tip shafts.
But if you tip trim .370 shafts whether graphite of steel you do the same process.
A tip trimmed graphite shaft has a factory code of, let's say 1.5" for a 6 iron. Inserting that into a 7 iron is soft stepping. If you insert that into a 5 iron it's hard stepping. You are essentially trimming less shaft tip and retaining more flex. Soft step. The more you trim a shaft the stiffer it becomes. Hard step
So same exact principle.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

These are .355 taper. I went 2 steps….. 4i shaft into 6i etc. waiting for ferrules to arrive so I can glue in and butt trim to length. Should there be a noticeable difference? I read the that soft stepping twice would be close to 1/2 flex.

These are .355 taper. I went 2 steps….. 4i shaft into 6i etc. waiting for ferrules to arrive so I can glue in and butt trim to length. Should there be a noticeable difference? I read the that soft stepping twice would be close to 1/2 flex.
You will definitely notice a difference. That should be close to 10 CPM less in flex.

I did with my Recoil 95s. Soft stepped 1x, to get a little smoother feel and higher launch.

I did with my Recoil 95s. Soft stepped 1x, to get a little smoother feel and higher launch.

This is what Im after also. Higher launch. Im doing it with Recoil Dart 90 shafts F3 but they feel a tad stiff for F3 to me, thats why I went twice.

I soft stepped a set of SteelFiber stiffs in a set of irons and it worked great. They gave me a little more feel through the swing.

I played Fujikura Pro irons soft stepped. Soft stepping will change feel more than ball flight.

I played Fujikura Pro irons soft stepped. Soft stepping will change feel more than ball flight.

Really? But I can expect some change in flight?

Maybe I’m reading this incorrectly. But I want to make sure I’ve got this correct. If I want to soft step I put my 6i in my 7i. 7i in my 8i and so forth.

Considering giving the darts I tried this summer another go softstepped. They were a bit too stiff for me but given my back and hands recently I really want to go graphite. This might be my first attempt since I already have the shafts before I got try something else.

Also, the way I’m reading it you basically end up playing your shaft about a 1/2” longer in each iron, correct?

Really? But I can expect some change in flight?
Soft step once , equals 1/3 flex change with no change in spin or launch . It's very minimal. It's really a feel thing . I'm going to do this myself soon.
Soft step twice , I would expect to see higher launch

Maybe I’m reading this incorrectly. But I want to make sure I’ve got this correct. If I want to soft step I put my 6i in my 7i. 7i in my 8i and so forth.

Considering giving the darts I tried this summer another go softstepped. They were a bit too stiff for me but given my back and hands recently I really want to go graphite. This might be my first attempt since I already have the shafts before I got try something else.

Also, the way I’m reading it you basically end up playing your shaft about a 1/2” longer in each iron, correct?

I soft stepped these twice = 4i shaft in 6i and so on up. Ended with 2 8i shafts in my pw and aw. I will be cutting these to +1/2” when my ferrules arrive and I get them glued in. I cant report anything yet on the feel but hope to be able to use them before the end of the weekend as long as the ferrules arrive.

With a 1inch longer shaft how’s that effect the LIE ???

If you’re asking about soft stepped shafts, you or your club builder would butt trim to the proper playing length.

As a rule of thumb, every +1/2" is 1* more upright (statically) and 3 sw points. Soft stepping, you'd butt trim the shaft to your standard playing length though, so it'd be the same. I would think your dynamic lie may get slightly flatter because a softer shaft would typically have more droop at impact, but the amount would be player dependent since we all swing differently.

When I soft step, I still build them to standard length. So the 7 iron head is still playing in a shaft with traditional 7 iron length, but using a 6 iron shaft

So there is no confusion as to the final length of a soft stepped club. If you are taking a set of shaft pulls or a set you already have. After you take the 6iron shaft and install it in the 7 iron head , you cut the butt end to playing length.
If you hard stepped, you would need to add a butt extension to gain playing length.
Starting with brand new uncut shafts, you simply treat them as if you have changed the trim codes. If taper tip simply but trimm to final playing length.

I remember I soft stepped a set of shafts for my father. Never really done it for myself.

I remember I soft stepped a set of shafts for my father. Never really done it for myself.
I seem to prefer the 105 S Rapid taper soft stepped. Or the 105 R hard stepped. Either one lets me keep total control while remaining extremely smooth in feel.
Hard or soft stepping can be a great tool. Though I've never liked doing double soft stepped or double hard stepping. Then, you are getting away from the intended design goal of the shaft.

c320a3552567e996416882d3c383b3ed.jpg

Here is the finished product. I glued them last night and butt trimmed them and put the grips back on a little earlier this morning. Ready to play, hope to get a quick nine walk in with them this afternoon and I’ll report back the difference it made.

I could not be happier with the feel of these shafts after the soft step!!! They feel like butter! My home course is as dry as a popcorn fart so as far as distances they are playing longer than usual but the ball flight is amazing. These shafts are so much more responsive now. I wish I had learned about soft stepping much sooner.

So there is no confusion as to the final length of a soft stepped club. If you are taking a set of shaft pulls or a set you already have. After you take the 6iron shaft and install it in the 7 iron head , you cut the butt end to playing length.
If you hard stepped, you would need to add a butt extension to gain playing length.
Starting with brand new uncut shafts, you simply treat them as if you have changed the trim codes. If taper tip simply but trimm to final playing length.

I’m still not sure 🤔
Don’t you need to know what length the shaft you think your soft stepping is and should be from the manufacturer?
A friend tried this and it didn’t change much and then found out later that the shaft was .75 inch longer than standard, so the shaft was still too long after putting the 6iron shaft in the 7iron head.

I’m still not sure 🤔
Don’t you need to know what length the shaft you think your soft stepping is and should be from the manufacturer?
A friend tried this and it didn’t change much and then found out later that the shaft was .75 inch longer than standard, so the shaft was still too long after putting the 6iron shaft in the 7iron head.

After you take the 6iron shaft and install it in the 7 iron head , you cut the butt end to playing length.

Starting with brand new uncut shafts, you simply but trimm to final playing length.
I cut the rest of Popeye’s post to leave only the pertinent part for length and soft stepping. I would guess your friend didn’t butt trim the shaft after installing it in the club head.

I’m still not sure
If the shaft is installed into a head and is set up for a player. That shaft has a playing length, that is .75 longer than standard. Then soft stepped, you would have to cut .25 off the shaft to get it to standard playing length.
Club heads have a variety of hosel lengths. So, taking a random set of pulls and hoping they will just match up to another random head won't work. You will need to fine tune the length one way or the other.
I'm not sure I can explain that any better.
There is no set length from a manufacturer. There are intended trim codes for non taper tips. For taper tips they get club head specific. So thats how soft stepping sort of became a thing. Putting head specific shafts into un intended heads.
Final playing length is purely up to the end user. Trimming the butt end has almost no effect on playing flex.
Swing weight has more effect on flex than length of club. But now you get into length of club effecting swing weight without adding weight.

Back