Sometimes Pull - Sometimes Slice - PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
I used to slice my driver EVERY TIME. Moving the ball up in my stance seemed to be the biggest difference maker, now I seem to be able to hit it straight more often. However, I still slice occasionaly and recently started to pull it now and again.

My irons are okay when I make good contact, but again, I recently started to PULL everything - just a straight pull left.

Here are a couple videos - any tips would be MUCH appreciated. Also- are there specific things that normally cause a pull? Is it in the hips, shoulders, or something else? Again, I really appreciate any help provided.

EDIT - forgot to mention if there's anything I'm doing right, feel free to point that out as well! :)

Looking for all constructive criticism, even if not related to pull or slice.

DRIVER-SLICE

[video=youtube;fDDnO-r9IDQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDDnO-r9IDQ[/video]

DRIVER-SLICE_SLOW

4iron PULL

4iron PULL_SLOW

8iron OK

8iron OK_SLOW

Last edited:
Check your spine tilt and shoulders. Your right shoulder is too high and that will lead to pulls and the occasional slice. If you drop your shoulder slightly then it will help get your spine angle correct too.

Check your spine tilt and shoulders. Your right shoulder is too high and that will lead to pulls and the occasional slice. If you drop your shoulder slightly then it will help get your spine angle correct too.
You are also swaying a great deal. Try to keep your head relatively still and turn around your spine.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Two questions about the shoulder:

1- are you referring to my actual right shoulder or right as you are watching the video (which would be my actual left) ?

2) This may sound ignorant, but exactly how do you go about dropping your shoulder?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Two questions about the shoulder:

1- are you referring to my actual right shoulder or right as you are watching the video (which would be my actual left) ?

2) This may sound ignorant, but exactly how do you go about dropping your shoulder?

Thanks again.

He is talking about your actual right shoulder. For dropping your shoulder, he means bringing it closer to the ground and farther away from your head without changing your spine angle.

He is talking about your actual right shoulder. For dropping your shoulder, he means bringing it closer to the ground and farther away from your head without changing your spine angle.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the concept, I'm just not sure how to implement it.

When I try to drop my right shoulder, it seems like the way I'm doing it is by twisting my back...

u need to set up in the reverse K position with ur driver...take ur set up and bump ur left hip toward the target. This will get ur shoulder tilt and spine tilt in better position. On ur irons u are almost reverse pivoting. Try shortening up ur back swing with the shorter irons. U are getting way across the line on on ur back swing...bet u can see the club out of the corner of ur left eye when making backswing.

Well it looks like the spine angle was really grabbed onto. And I have to say that is the least of your worries. I like the ball position but you pulls are coming from a closed club face and an early release. You have to allow the club head to open on the back swing and not remained closed.

I'd like to see you try a drill. Take your grip and setup. Raise the thumb on your right off the grip, like you are hitching a ride. At the right hip, the thumb should be pointed upward. This will show you if you have rotated the club properly on the back swing.

After impact, the thumb should be pointed upward as well. So it's thumb up to thumb up. Work on this and let me know how it works out.

I will certainly practice this drill, thanks for the feedback. Will report back!

Sometimes I have a hard time with rotation due to scoliosis and herniated discs.

If I can stop pulling the ball so much, my time on the course will be more enjoyable! :)

Haven't been able to try this drill yet, pulled a muscle in my back.

Hopefully this weekend I can report back.

Back