Spinoff: Would You Rather Buy Lessons or Equipment?

Lessons or Equipment

• Lessons

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Equipment

Votes: 34 64.2%

• Total voters

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This is a spinoff from @hacker911966379 thread. Given a limited golf budget what would you rather spend your money on and why? I don’t want to know what you think is prudent, but do want to know what you prefer.

New and shiny is always more fun than putting your nose to the grindstone

Now, equipment. I've had enough lessons for a while.

Equipment for me.

I would say 10 years ago I was always into new and shiny.But now I would rather have a swing motion that can utilize any club on the market.Im still amazed how a clubface can be off just a minute degree and send the ball wildly off target.

This has to be the hardest game ever created

These polls change as much as the 2024 presidential race

Equipment is way more fun to buy.

While I'd rather have new and shiny, lessons from a good instructor would do much more for my scores.

What are you trying to accomplish? If playing better is the goal, lessons are the better option. If you think new clubs are going to make you a better player, you are kidding yourself.

I would rather get some lessons and learn consistency. Currently my swing feels very inconsistent... I wish I could find that groove and keep the feeling

Newness always, its different and doesn’t require massive amounts of time I don’t have laying around.

This is a classic short term vs long term gratification thing. Shiny and new is always awesome but I prefer the long term gratification of getting better.

Where my game is now and the goals I’d like meet this year, lessons are the smart buy.

I would spend the money on lessons to get better. Far bigger/better payoff

Glad we are discussing the prudent decision here.

Give me new and shiny!

I'd choose lessons. I have equipment that I love and that works.

A new driver fitted to me would put up a good argument, though.

New and shiny is always more fun than putting your nose to the grindstone
Yes and no. Specifically, striking lots of good shots and shooting a low score is when golf is the most "fun".
In other words new equipment does not help one hit better shots or shoot lower scores, but improving technique does.

It’s always been equipment as I’ve only had a handful of full swing lessons from a PGA professional since I started playing in 1977. I’m alway afraid a lesson package might make me start tinkering too much and I’d lose my swing that hasn’t changed much since I started. I’d rather just play golf than work on my swing. Much of what I battle now is joints and muscles that don’t turn/move as well as they used to so 80% of my full swing golf focus is on my strength, speed, and flexibility.

At this point, lessons are more important to me. Granted, my last 7wk clinic was free but I'd spring for some lessons from a couple of the instructors that were teaching during the clinic.

Yes and no. Specifically, striking lots of good shots and shooting a low score is when golf is the most "fun".
In other words new equipment does not help one hit better shots or shoot lower scores, but improving technique does.
Lessons are not a requirement of hitting good shots and improving technique though.

At the moment I am happy with my bag so lessons would be cool

Back