deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
So today while I was playing, I of course plunked one of my Duo's into the woods. As I was playing alone, and the course was empty I went to see if I could find it. Didn't, but did find a Srixon and figured I'd just play it instead. Used it for the rest of the day and I was killing it. Could the ball really be that huge of a factor? At any rate, I wanted to figure out what ball it was since this one was pretty beat up by the end of the day. Problem is ... no markings other than Srixon and a number above the name. How can I figure out what ball this is?

Ball can make a major difference, I cannot recommend a ball fitting enough. We've seen some major gains just from a ball change, both spin and distance.

Not sure how to figure it out but I do like the Z Stars and Q Stars. Q Stars are one of my go to balls in colder weather.

Ball can make a major difference, I cannot recommend a ball fitting enough. We've seen some major gains just from a ball change, both spin and distance.
Heh, golf really does know how to pry ones money out from their pocket. Ok, I'll bite ... how do I go about getting a ball fitting?

Heh, golf really does know how to pry ones money out from their pocket. Ok, I'll bite ... how do I go about getting a ball fitting?

Bridgestone offers their B-Fit online chats with their experts. Best and most expansive line of golf balls on the planet, highly recommended.

Bridgestone offers their B-Fit online chats with their experts. Best and most expansive line of golf balls on the planet, highly recommended.

the ball fitting method I prefer is to buy a sleeve and play with them till they're gone, then buy a sleeve of a different type and repeat. It's a really fun way to figure out which ones you like best. I've gamed no less than a dozen different balls in the past 6 months. I find myself going back to the same ball when I finish trying out a new one. To me, that's the best kind of fitting.

I am afraid that since I am still so inconsistent, that a ball fitting may not tell me much. Then again, maybe part of the reason I am playing inconsistently is because I am not playing the correct ball. I picked up some TM TP Blacks, and I have the Duo's in my bag, maybe I will pick up some Srixon's and bring them to my next lesson when we start work on my short game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am afraid that since I am still so inconsistent, that a ball fitting may not tell me much. Then again, maybe part of the reason I am playing inconsistently is because I am not playing the correct ball. I picked up some TM TP Blacks, and I have the Duo's in my bag, maybe I will pick up some Srixon's and bring them to my next lesson when we start work on my short game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think the ball is going to change your consistency much. Some will spin more or less than others, and there are tradeoffs in various aspects between balls in the same price bracket. For the most part, the more expensive a ball is the more it has the *potential* to perform (there are always exceptions, of course). For most of us amateurs it's about deciding how much we're willing to spend for what may be minimal (or non-existent) gains. I'd game Pro-V1s if they were the same price as an e6, since I do like them a lot and they do perform well for me. But, I lose balls faster than I wear them out. the little bit of extra distance and green holding I get from a pro-v1 versus a cheaper ball just isn't worth it to me when I'm burning through an average of 3 balls per round, depending on the course.

Both of the ones you listed are decent, as are the srixons. I recommend trying out some "mint" condition used balls in higher quality. You can usually go up one or even two tiers in quality for the same price (used versus new) if you look around. The best deal I ever found was a bucket of mint TM Penta TPs for less than $1/ball. Good luck!

I am a believer that the ball we use matters. Not so much from one ball to the next in the same category, but I believe there are gains to be seen by sticking with one ball for an extended period of time. Especially with regards to short game I find that switching from a Z-Star XV to a Q-star changes chipping and putting feel by a large margin.

I am a believer that the ball we use matters. Not so much from one ball to the next in the same category, but I believe there are gains to be seen by sticking with one ball for an extended period of time. Especially with regards to short game I find that switching from a Z-Star XV to a Q-star changes chipping and putting feel by a large margin.

I agree with this. I think there is also something to be said for choosing a ball based on how you prefer to play around the greens. Sticking with that choice will help hone your skills. The more you get to know the feel of that ball, the more you will be able to control it when it counts.

I've had pretty good luck with the Srixon Q-Star's and the Trispeed Tours. My only complaint with them is that the cover isn't very durable. If you end up in the bunker on the first hole, you're guaranteed to have a nice scuff mark by the 2nd hole. I also use the Nike 20XI balls and I can use one of those for 18 holes. I can go 9 holes max with the Srixon. On the other hand, the good news about the Srixon is that because the durability isn't super great, I end up putting them into the shag bag so I'm starting to rotate out a lot of the junk balls that have been in there for years.... :)

Back