Crap! Bought the new ZX5’s and NEVER should have hit the ZX4’s on demo day. Will play another couple of rounds but I’m seriously thinking for the first time in my life, taking advantage of the 90 day return policy :(
what was the difference between the two for you?

Crap! Bought the new ZX5’s and NEVER should have hit the ZX4’s on demo day. Will play another couple of rounds but I’m seriously thinking for the first time in my life, taking advantage of the 90 day return policy :(

haha, they are crazy right? :LOL:

Mine showed up yesterday like this…

View attachment 9164210
Mine was exactly the same, but the 7 iron was exposed. Its like all these companies are on a strict tape budget, and they never tape the ends properly.

No excuses for fedex, but they should also come in iron box that holds each in place. For the amount of money, and markup, spend a little more on packaging.

Curious for those who ordered/have history - does Srixon typically hit swing weight requests?

First session with zx7 and I’m seeing some seriously low spin. I try not to take too much away from indoor numbers but even with a Tour B XS ball, these spin numbers are borderline unplayable

the gapping overall is pretty much perfect. Thinking of possibly weakening the lofts
First pic is a 6i, second is 7i, last is 8i
05FA574D-7F07-4903-85C4-DAFE84FEFEBE.jpegA7D89299-E5F2-4F9D-A232-FAA1E46DCFCC.jpeg5BEB2D19-F46A-4B4D-ACAB-F591E2E9F138.jpeg

Mine was exactly the same, but the 7 iron was exposed. Its like all these companies are on a strict tape budget, and they never tape the ends properly.

No excuses for fedex, but they should also come in iron box that holds each in place. For the amount of money, and markup, spend a little more on packaging.

Because i have a problem, I've had new club boxes received from Srixon, Mizuno and PXG in the last 6 months. While they have their detractors, PXG does an outstanding job with packaging clubs. The PXG box is made of a sturdier cardboard, the packaging inside is almost too much. And they drop the PXG box into another cardboard box to conceal what you're getting. (Unlike the bright blue Mizuno box with Mizuno emblazoned all over it.

Because i have a problem, I've had new club boxes received from Srixon, Mizuno and PXG in the last 6 months. While they have their detractors, PXG does an outstanding job with packaging clubs. The PXG box is made of a sturdier cardboard, the packaging inside is almost too much. And they drop the PXG box into another cardboard box to conceal what you're getting. (Unlike the bright blue Mizuno box with Mizuno emblazoned all over it.
I am admittedly a packaging snob, and very particular about the amount of tape used. Perhaps a thread with diagrams is order. When i ship things, they are prepared for battle

First session with zx7 and I’m seeing some seriously low spin. I try not to take too much away from indoor numbers but even with a Tour B XS ball, these spin numbers are borderline unplayable

the gapping overall is pretty much perfect. Thinking of possibly weakening the lofts
First pic is a 6i, second is 7i, last is 8i
View attachment 9164428View attachment 9164429View attachment 9164430
This is interesting. One that a friend messaged me about your post saying that they didn't seem that different from my spin numbers, two because that showed a number on the club bias that people seem to look past a lot, and 3 because that is pretty low spin.

I can definitely spin a 7i in the low 5k range indoors. Gimme a proV1 and I'm there in a lot of days. Give me a CSX and I can still be there on a strong day. Give me a Chrome soft or Q Star tour and I'll show you mid 4s. And people tend to think of me as a low spin guy because of that.

But there's a few ways to look at it. My 7 might be in that spin range on an indoor shot, but its distance is kind of right been your 7 and 6. So saying we spin a 7 iron the same isn't quite right. Even if we technically do my 7 is like your 6.5. So compare my 7 to your 6.5 or my 192 carry to yours and you're definitely spinning it less than me. By a good margin. So I get your playability concern.

Your launch implies a pretty high swing speed, with a fairly high dynamic loft for the club, and a shallow attack. Do you know what kind of AoAs you were getting, and if it's consistent with your norm indoors?

what was the difference between the two for you?
I've played Srixon irons for awhile now and the middle offering of the three has always fit my game the best. When I bought this years model I was injured at the time so I bought the 5's without hitting them. The 5's are still a great club but when I was able to swing after healing I was shocked what they did with the ZX4 Mkll's. Past years the lower offerings was always chunky and didn't fit my eye but this years offering looked similar to what I've been playing so I gave them a go on fitting day. I knew they would be slightly longer because of loft but everything about them made me believe I needed this set of irons now! I always buy locally and for the first time in my life, i took advantage of the 90 day return policy.

That said take my experience for what it's worth since I'm kind of a unique golfer. If I had to do a self analysis I would describe myself as I play like a single digit golfer with my driver and short game but I hit my irons like a 15-17 handicap. Chipping and putting bails me out from having a higher handicap. Irons are the weak point of my game :(

This is interesting. One that a friend messaged me about your post saying that they didn't seem that different from my spin numbers, two because that showed a number on the club bias that people seem to look past a lot, and 3 because that is pretty low spin.

I can definitely spin a 7i in the low 5k range indoors. Gimme a proV1 and I'm there in a lot of days. Give me a CSX and I can still be there on a strong day. Give me a Chrome soft or Q Star tour and I'll show you mid 4s. And people tend to think of me as a low spin guy because of that.

But there's a few ways to look at it. My 7 might be in that spin range on an indoor shot, but its distance is kind of right been your 7 and 6. So saying we spin a 7 iron the same isn't quite right. Even if we technically do my 7 is like your 6.5. So compare my 7 to your 6.5 or my 192 carry to yours and you're definitely spinning it less than me. By a good margin. So I get your playability concern.

Your launch implies a pretty high swing speed, with a fairly high dynamic loft for the club, and a shallow attack. Do you know what kind of AoAs you were getting, and if it's consistent with your norm indoors?
yea I would say I'm about 3-4 mph slower SS than you. I've always been on the higher launch lower spin side of things bc of my AoA. I'm usually in the -2 down range. Hardly ever getting steeper than that. My miss is definitely from a flip and coming in more shallow close to 0

when I was taking lessons consistently I got down to -4.5 but slowly making my way back towards being more shallow again

I've gone from thinking a ZX5/ZX7 combo would be my choice, to thinking a ZX4/ZX5/ZX7, and everything in between.

The more I read, listen, think, the more I think a full ZX4 set might be the best option. If the dispersion is there in the short irons, these might be the ticket. I don't work the ball. I want a nice straight flight the majority of the time. Might flight my 9i and PW down a bit from time to time, but not too often.

I've played Srixon irons for awhile now and the middle offering of the three has always fit my game the best. When I bought this years model I was injured at the time so I bought the 5's without hitting them. The 5's are still a great club but when I was able to swing after healing I was shocked what they did with the ZX4 Mkll's. Past years the lower offerings was always chunky and didn't fit my eye but this years offering looked similar to what I've been playing so I gave them a go on fitting day. I knew they would be slightly longer because of loft but everything about them made me believe I needed this set of irons now! I always buy locally and for the first time in my life, i took advantage of the 90 day return policy.

That said take my experience for what it's worth since I'm kind of a unique golfer. If I had to do a self analysis I would describe myself as I play like a single digit golfer with my driver and short game but I hit my irons like a 15-17 handicap. Chipping and putting bails me out from having a higher handicap. Irons are the weak point of my game :(

The 4's look absolutely fantastic. Srixon did a fantastic job reducing the size and making them very appealing to the eye. As one reviewer said, the used to look like a step child in the ZX line and now look like a sibling.

Last edited:
One area not mentioned in the reviews of the Srixon ZX5 MKII irons is the unique creation of a cupface hitting surface that doesn't have a hot spot or zone.

What I wish to convey is the following.

Every game improvement or player's distance iron I have tried in the past 10 years has always produced a very unpleasant 180 to 190 yard flier with a normal 150-yard club.

This engineering dilemma created an iron club that was useless in my hand for my game.

Hitting a normal shot 90 times, and it gets 150 yards of carry/ 155 total distance. When you aren't feeling nervous or tense.

Unfortunately, when you hit the same club from the exact same lie 10/100, you are rewarded with a 180-yard or 190-yard flier.

This was a deal breaker for me with the Callaway XR cupface, or X2 Hot irons. This was also my experience with the Mizuno JPX Hot Metal irons from the recent generations. But it never happened to me with any Forged Blade. From any of the top Brands.

The Srixon so far doesn't have this particular problem in the Zx5 mkii.

In my hands.

This was the main reason I played blades for the last 10 years or more. The iron faces of the cavity back SGI, GI, PDI were too hot or contained areas that enhanced ball speeds better than other hitting areas of the same club face. In my amateur hands.

In contrast on the driver, these differences in spring effects on the face were tolerated. Everyone enjoys a long drive with a few 10- or 20-yards extra from the hot spots.

Not tolerated when you have to knock down a 147-yard shot to a front pin located over a sand trap or water hazard. The same club, 7 iron, hitting from the same location either flies the green into the rough behind hole or lands one club short in the hazard or sand.

M2C.

Maybe the Artificial intelligence employed by Srixon in their ZX7, 5, 4 MKII line have figured out something that the industry might want to follow. 20230311_181620.jpg

Never had that with my Zings, so when I went to the ZX5s I expected and received the same but with better feel.

Want to reiterate how nice the good people at Srixon have been to deal with. (y)

Can’t say enough how great the ZX5’s look. Absolutely am enamored with the leading edge and squared toe.

I'm not sure if you guys have been given different directions but I would order whatever is the best possible fit and start reviewing that product. Take us through your experience. If that leads to a reshaft then that's just part of the review and we are all here for it.
Honestly, I just ordered what I wanted. It wasn't on the list, but Srixon just complied.

Sometimes, in Golf, you might have to spend a little to get what fits your game.

I am 1000% satisfied.

But I would have been 1,000,000% dissatisfied with the stock options.

Get fit. Play with the equipment that fits your game.

After 1000 rounds, you are the only one who will be happy.

Or, buying new clubs to fit your game.

Period.

Hit these tonight at my local event. This guy has some serious forgiveness but the strike feels pure as heck. These are some sweet irons. Definitely gave me a piercing flight path.

One area not mentioned in the reviews of the Srixon ZX5 MKII irons is the unique creation of a cupface hitting surface that doesn't have a hot spot or zone.

What I wish to convey is the following.

Every game improvement or player's distance iron I have tried in the past 10 years has always produced a very unpleasant 180 to 190 yard flier with a normal 150-yard club.

This engineering dilemma created an iron club that was useless in my hand for my game.

Hitting a normal shot 90 times, and it gets 150 yards of carry/ 155 total distance. When you aren't feeling nervous or tense.

Unfortunately, when you hit the same club from the exact same lie 10/100, you are rewarded with a 180-yard or 190-yard flier.

This was a deal breaker for me with the Callaway XR cupface, or X2 Hot irons. This was also my experience with the Mizuno JPX Hot Metal irons from the recent generations. But it never happened to me with any Forged Blade. From any of the top Brands.

The Srixon so far doesn't have this particular problem in the Zx5 mkii.

In my hands.

This was the main reason I played blades for the last 10 years or more. The iron faces of the cavity back SGI, GI, PDI were too hot or contained areas that enhanced ball speeds better than other hitting areas of the same club face. In my amateur hands.

In contrast on the driver, these differences in spring effects on the face were tolerated. Everyone enjoys a long drive with a few 10- or 20-yards extra from the hot spots.

Not tolerated when you have to knock down a 147-yard shot to a front pin located over a sand trap or water hazard. The same club, 7 iron, hitting from the same location either flies the green into the rough behind hole or lands one club short in the hazard or sand.

M2C.

Maybe the Artificial intelligence employed by Srixon in their ZX7, 5, 4 MKII line have figured out something that the industry might want to follow. View attachment 9164538
Good to hear. The non halo XLs I play are consistent distance wise as well.

Just had a fitting and put an order in for zx5 mkiis with modus 120 xstiffs

I wasn't making very great contact but a lot of good shots were with that iron .. a lot of shots were high on the face and I had my usual early extension, but I'm hoping with some actual range time and practice I can make better contact

Others we trialed were ping i200s, jpx923 forged I think, and 1 other I can't remember.. I wish I trialed the last apex line but I forgot to mention that it was a contender for me, and he never suggested others

now the wait begins :D

Next week is going to be fun...can't wait until these get in the hands of a bunch of THPers!!

How are the long irons compared to hybrids? I personally would have more confidence in consistently striking a zx4 4 iron with a heavy shaft over any hybrid.

How are the long irons compared to hybrids? I personally would have more confidence in consistently striking a zx4 4 iron with a heavy shaft over any hybrid.
put a heavy shaft in a hybrid?

Back