I have three rounds under my belt with the Srixon ZX5 MKll irons (4-GW with Nippon NS Pro 959 NEO steel shafts in regular) and while I have not been scoring well, I have some very early impressions:

First, these are just a fine-looking set of irons. They set up square and instill confidence at address.

Second, in combination with the shafts, I hit these irons very high. I would not generally describe myself as a high ball hitter with my last two sets of irons (Callaway X-Hot Pros and Mizuno T Zoid Pro). My ball flight with these was mid trajectory to low and both sets of irons allowed me to work the ball. With the Srixon, I cannot work the ball as much, but am seeing extra yardage and good stopping power on well struck shots. This is especially the case with the 4 and 5 irons. I have hit shots with both where the roll out is less than 7 feet.

Speaking of playing shots, third, my worry that I would have difficulty knocking these down when playing in the wind is unfounded. In particular, the PW and GW bore right through the wind when I play the ball back and take a little off. I almost didn’t pull the trigger on the GW, but am glad I did.

Fourth, the v sole is amazing as many on this thread have already noted. I can get a little steep and I do not have to worry about that with these irons.

Finally, these irons are very forgiving. Shots hit off center do not lose much if any distance and the ball just wants to go straight. This is as close as I have ever had to a point and shoot set of irons and I am really enjoying this. My shot dispersion is much tighter with these because I have eliminated the left miss and my 10 yard fade is now about a 5 yard fade at the most.

Great review. Those shafts do launch the ball higher. I do agree that it is easy to control trajectory with them. I hit 3 or 4 knockdown shots on Monday that were right where I aimed them and behaved well upon landing.

15 greens yesterday with the combo. I did miss on a couple par 5 approaches but lie got me on one and a nasty crosswind on the other.

Our turf has returned to non-extreme sanity and it's great to get to experience the VT Sole through the different courses again. Had a couple other tough lies that they and I did amazingly well with. So good.

Overall the current setup has brought the gir back up to the 3 out of 4 range again after a lot of equipment changes had drug it down. So aside from a little bit of a funky swing at times lately these beauties are back at it.

15 greens yesterday with the combo. I did miss on a couple par 5 approaches but lie got me on one and a nasty crosswind on the other.

Our turf has returned to non-extreme sanity and it's great to get to experience the VT Sole through the different courses again. Had a couple other tough lies that they and I did amazingly well with. So good.

Overall the current setup has brought the gir back up to the 3 out of 4 range again after a lot of equipment changes had drug it down. So aside from a little bit of a funky swing at times lately these beauties are back at it.
I'd kill for the 3/4 GIR range. Someday....

One thing I'm finding with my ZX5 irons is that I don't have as big of a draw as I've had in the past with my previous irons. I'm really liking that I have a straighter ball flight with these irons/shaft combo. It's helped me be more consistent with my ball flight. Great irons!!

Just received my new ZX4 MKii's, did a quick Trackman comparison vs my Ping G425's and then hit the driving range. Across the range 4-PW the Srixons are 10-15 yards longer than the Ping G425's. Hitting the sweet spot they feel like butter and the ball just explodes off the face. The G425 produces dramatic height but distance suffers. Can't wait to get a round in later in the week if the rains subside. You feel the mis hits a bit more on the Srixon but it really makes you consciously try to be more consistent in set up / take away and swing. Very nice.

15 gir is unbelievable. If I could do that you would have to pry the irons out of my cold dead hands.

Have you settled on Steelfiber as your shaft of choice?

15 gir is unbelievable. If I could do that you would have to pry the irons out of my cold dead hands.

Have you settled on Steelfiber as your shaft of choice?
For now. Waiting on the Morgan Cup clubs and will see how it goes with those.

I'd kill for 1/2.

I am averaging 32% right now and would kill for 50%. I am at 55% fairways right now. You can assume I miss most of the greens when I miss the fairway. Our par 3s are tough gets so hitting 2/4 is a good day. If I could get to 50% for a round I would definitely score better.

Last edited:
installed Nippon 950gh Neo in my zx5. Played them this morning for the first time. Better results in the GIR department. Higher ball flight, soft draw, better feel for the club through the swing. Now to get my CP2 Wraps on them!

I think I need to reshaft my irons. I took my T100s out with the XCaliber RT95 our yesterday and today and had some really good ball striking. I do prefer the ZX5 iron heads but I think the Dart 75 are just too light for me. I tend to get too quick from the top with them and miss left a bunch.

Thinking about what to put in them. Do I go RT95 or try something else. I don’t really want to pull the shafts out of the T100.

I do prefer the ZX5 iron heads but I think the Dart 75 are just too light for me. I tend to get too quick from the top with them and miss left a bunch.
Precisely why I switched out my SteelFiber i70cw. Today in Round One with the 95 gram shafts I could feel the club much better throughout the swing. And there were NO big misses with them - no chunks, wild blocks right, no wicked OTT pulls. I’ll keep the 70 gram A flex for when I get much older and wimpier. :p

Still love how the ZX5’s have been performing and can’t say enough about the dispersion I’ve seen both in left to right consistency as well as length. Love the heel to toe length on these as that oddly enough is such a big part in what looks good to my eye.

I think I need to reshaft my irons. I took my T100s out with the XCaliber RT95 our yesterday and today and had some really good ball striking. I do prefer the ZX5 iron heads but I think the Dart 75 are just too light for me. I tend to get too quick from the top with them and miss left a bunch.

Thinking about what to put in them. Do I go RT95 or try something else. I don’t really want to pull the shafts out of the T100.
Recoil 95 F4's, you will thank me later.

Had a pretty good day with the irons today.

Didn’t really have any bad shots. They fly straight which is what I’m looking for. Pretty confident in the distances. I’m comfortable that I’m going to hit at least 90% of my distance with the forgiveness even on bad shots. Haven’t experienced any flyers. I even pulled the 6i twice today which I would normally default to my 5h or 7i at all costs. Put one to within 10 feet from about 160 into a pretty strong headwind uphill.

Can’t imagine the ZX4s will be replaced anytime soon. Just a great set of irons.IMG_7340.jpeg

Does anyone playing a combo set wish they would have added a ZX4 or ZX utility to the top of the bag too?

Does anyone playing a combo set wish they would have added a ZX4 or ZX utility to the top of the bag too?
I don’t have a combo set but the 3UT is fantastic.

No combo but I have 4,5,6 U85s and love them. I can do whatever I want with them. Tee up the 4 and fly high a draw to 230, grab the 6 and open face a cut 170 to land soft on Par 3. I'm sure ZXs are even better/more forgiving.

I combo the zx5 in the 4 and 5 irons and zx7 the rest. It was a long decision for me between a 7w or a 3u iron. I thought the 7w might be a little more versatile but that 3u is still tempting

I am in the same boat. When I had my fitting, I was just absolutely crushing the Dart shaft since it was 20 grams lighter, but on the course I’m having issues missing left because of the lighter shaft and have to make a big time adjustment to keep from missing left. I will get this rectified during the next month, but feeling sorry for myself over the waste of money I’ll spend to make this right 🙂

Last edited:
I probably would have gone with a 2nd utility in the 4u spot instead of the hybrid.

The hybrid isn't bad but the utility is so good.
If I were younger and no Back troubles I'd be looking for a 3 and 2 U85 for the Bag. I loved Long Irons back when I had Game, they're just so easy to keep in play. Way back I would switch out Driver and 3W depending on Course I played.

Back