drb1956

Reaction score
Handicap
25+
Has anyone planned a golf trip to the home of golf, St. Andrews? I would like to know the travel itinerary that would be required to get a tee time, hotels, etc..

I had one planned right when the pandemic started. We found a nice Airbnb in town, booked vehicle transport to and from the airport, and also linked up with a distillery down the road for a private dinner. I can dig into emails for details of the various providers in addition to the PM sent with the lodging details.

For golf, we didn‘t (and couldn’t due to lead time) book through a package or hotel that was able to guarantee old course tee times. We were going to do the three day pass to play the St. Andrews courses, play the lottery each day and if we made the Old Course, great, if not, no biggie because we stayed through Sunday so we could tat least walk the course. I was really excited to play the New Course 😢 (two guys talked about staying up all night for tee times but our whole groups didn’t want to do that)

We also got a tee time to Carnoustie so we were guaranteed at least one round on an Open venue.

That all said. I’m sure some others can offer insight.

Beat of luck with planning and enjoy the trip!

I had one planned right when the pandemic started. We found a nice Airbnb in town, booked vehicle transport to and from the airport, and also linked up with a distillery down the road for a private dinner. I can dig into emails for details of the various providers in addition to the PM sent with the lodging details.

For golf, we didn‘t (and couldn’t due to lead time) book through a package or hotel that was able to guarantee old course tee times. We were going to do the three day pass to play the St. Andrews courses, play the lottery each day and if we made the Old Course, great, if not, no biggie because we stayed through Sunday so we could tat least walk the course. I was really excited to play the New Course 😢 (two guys talked about staying up all night for tee times but our whole groups didn’t want to do that)

We also got a tee time to Carnoustie so we were guaranteed at least one round on an Open venue.

That all said. I’m sure some others can offer insight.

Best of luck with planning and enjoy the trip!
Thanks for the reply. That is my one big concern-getting a tee time. My playing partner and I would like to plan a trip to St. Andrews to play a round at the holy grail of golf. I can see this is not going to be easy. Much research is going to be needed. Need to find out about even getting a tee time in the future. Not sure when we are going at this time. This was a topic of conversation at dinner one evening, and the wives will be accompanying us on this trip, and they will need things to do while we play.

Was just there for 2 weeks. Have set up some buds for next year. Getting an Old Tee time goes as follows. Go to St Andrews website for confirmation.
1. You can write to them in advance around Labor Day for the following year. That date is past so no option for next year exists.
2. You can contact hotels/vendors who have Old access. That is how I set up my buds for next year. This option is $$$$$
3. They have a ballot 2 days in advance. 2 or more put in and by end of day you are advised.
4. You can walk on. This past month we had 5 guys of our 8 sleep at the starter shed. They arrived at 11pm and were # 10/11/12/13 and 14 in line. After staying out all night and then hanging around the next day, 3 of the 5 got to play.

Any tour operator or Hotel with Old tee times. Use them to create as much income as possible. Think Masters ticket packages. Anyway, to get the Old time you must also book your other rounds and hotels with them. It becomes quite pricey, If you want guaranteed advance. Going and balloting and possibly walking on is the more economic way. While I was there I played 17 1/2 rounds in 15 days. Did not play the Old. Have played it 6 times and just wasn't going to sleep out for #7. Played New instead.

July 19/20/21 2023 my bud who coordinates Old tee times was asking me a couple months ago about those dates with Old play. openings were for 2 or 4. If interested I can enquire.

Back