Standing up during the swing

Lost Golfer

Working on trying to improve
Reaction score
Handicap
I have had trouble very recently standing up on my downswing. I have a bad back and believe I might not be turning as I should. I feel like I am standing up during the swing and catching a lot of my shots thin. Has this happened to anyone and if so does anyone have any suggestions or drills to help me. It’s close to the end of the season in Upstate NY but I might get out a couple more times before the white stuff arrives and I’d like to get this problem under control. Thanks

There are many reasons for losing spine angle, from poor flexibility, too armsy, poor set up, etc. I tend to lose spine angle because of too much weight on my heels at address and during the swing.

I found this drill super helpful for maintaining my dynamic balance, improving footwork, and maintaining spine angle.

Last edited:
I had a pro point this out to me as well. He also demonstrated the twisting effect it can have on the club face. I struggled with trying to correct this all throughout the 2019 golf season. I finished the season with awful back spasms due to a variety of factors not all related to golf.

Sorry I don't have any drills that work. I can only relate my adjustment. I just stand taller at address. I figured since my back is iffy to begin with, and I have that tendency, what harm can it do? My back feels much better(stretching helps a lot too) and i don't seem to hit as many wild pulls and push slices as I did before. good luck!

There are many reasons for losing spine angle, from poor flexibility, poor set up, etc. I tend to lose spine angle because of too much weight on my heels at address and during the swing.

I found this drill super helpful for maintaining my dynamic balance, improving footwork, and maintaining spine angle.

Thank you. I’ll work on it. I appreciate your help.

I had a pro point this out to me as well. He also demonstrated the twisting effect it can have on the club face. I struggled with trying to correct this all throughout the 2019 golf season. I finished the season with awful back spasms due to a variety of factors not all related to golf.

Sorry I don't have any drills that work. I can only relate my adjustment. I just stand taller at address. I figured since my back is iffy to begin with, and I have that tendency, what harm can it do? My back feels much better(stretching helps a lot too) and i don't seem to hit as many wild pulls and push slices as I did before. good luck!

Thanks, I’ll try that too. I do have a tendency to settle the weight in my heels.

To understand a cure for your problem you need to understand what it is you are doing. The goat humping action is hip extension where both legs push back tilting the pelvis back. This stalls rotation of the spine through engaging both sets of the rotational muscles on the left and right sides of the spine. To rotate the spine to the right the muscles on the left side of the spine are engaged while those on the right are relaxed. To turn the spine to the left the muscles on the right side do all the work while the left side muscles relax.
Therefore spinal rotation comes with one hip in flexion (one leg pushing forward while the other pushes backwards - marching is a good example).
For a righty, the left leg pushes back with the right pushing forward in the backswing then reversing this during the transition. To keep it simple think of marching on the spot without lifting the feet and rotate the body. It is that simple.

To understand a cure for your problem you need to understand what it is you are doing. The goat humping action is hip extension where both legs push back tilting the pelvis back. This stalls rotation of the spine through engaging both sets of the rotational muscles on the left and right sides of the spine. To rotate the spine to the right the muscles on the left side of the spine are engaged while those on the right are relaxed. To turn the spine to the left the muscles on the right side do all the work while the left side muscles relax.
Therefore spinal rotation comes with one hip in flexion (one leg pushing forward while the other pushes backwards - marching is a good example).
For a righty, the left leg pushes back with the right pushing forward in the backswing then reversing this during the transition. To keep it simple think of marching on the spot without lifting the feet and rotate the body. It is that simple.

Goat humping? lol. Thanks!

Despite the source of the problem for me, feeling like I’m hitting the ball with my right/trail shoulder seems to get me back on track.

This is a core flaw for me. I haven’t been able to permanently fix it. I’d start with assessing your body. How much core strength and hip flexibility do you have? More that any drill I just have to constantly think about rotating and staying down and through the ball.

Last edited:
Who knows...let's see some video 🤷‍♂️

I've said it multiple times; Please, Please, Please, don't go try and replicate something you see on YouTube to try and fix something that you have no idea what's causing it. It's likely a number of things, that starts with SetUP, a lack of turn in the backswing, and an open face that requires shutting in the downswing.

Let's see it.

More than any drill I just have to constantly think about rotating and staying down and through the ball.

Just recently determined that I was too upright in my stance and needed to bend more at the waist. This gives me a more upright swing, better contact and more distance. The downside is that I have to look out for coming out of the swing and the push shot is the evidence of that.

Just recently determined that I was too upright in my stance and needed to bend more at the waist. This gives me a more upright swing, better contact and more distance. The downside is that I have to look out for coming out of the swing and the push shot is the evidence of that.

I have been coached for that before as well. However I think I took it too far and couldn't maintain. I recently moved closer to the ball to be more balanced and still focus on holding my hip hinge. Unfortunately I am not sure there is any magic beyond flexibility and strength.

Upright how? Before you start moving? That's how you should look. I'd like to be a bit taller here...which I am now.
SetUP.jpg

I have been coached for that before as well. However I think I took it too far and couldn't maintain. I recently moved closer to the ball to be more balanced and still focus on holding my hip hinge. Unfortunately I am not sure there is any magic beyond flexibility and strength.
I guess I'm missing what this is, because if other coaches are telling you guys to bend more at the waist, I'm going to need to call them and explain to them that's 🙅‍♂️

Yes bent more at the waist in the stance. Keegan Bradley comes to mind.

remember, if you're doing something wrong follow these simple guidelines "Don't do that"

Justin Thomas stance.jpg

Dustin Johnson
Dustin Johnson.jpg

I think this has to do with balance usually. If your balanced when you start swinging you can maintain that spot levelness throughout the swing. If your leaning forward you can come up and down and fall forward after the swing. If you're leaned back too far you can reverse pivot.

Last edited:
I think this usually has to do with balance usually. If your balanced when you start swinging you can maintain that spot levelness throughout the swing. If your leaning forward you can come up and down and fall forward after the swing. If you're leaned back too far you can reverse pivot.
If you aren't balanced front to back, you will do something to compensate for that lack of balance in the downswing...the ole goat hump is one of those compensations.

If you aren't balanced front to back, you will do something to compensate for that lack of balance in the downswing...the ole goat hump is one of those compensations.
Definitely should have specifically stated front to back balance. I think some tilting toward the target can help with shotmaking and should not detract from making a solid swing.

Back