This is really the key. I completely changed my diet in Oct 2016. I basically cut out processed sugar. I cut soda, juices with <100% fruit juice (mainly trying to get rid of HFCS), bread, and pasta out nearly completely. I eat as much fat and protein as I want and simply steer clear of as much carbs as I can unless it's fresh fruits and/or veggies.

I eat on an 18/6 or 20/4 cycle and I never get so hungry that I can't manage. Before I improved my diet, I couldn't go 4 hours without eating something or getting ridiculously hungry. I'm no longer a slave to food. I eat now because I want to and not because I have to or because the clock says I should.
I'm hoping to get there too. It's the late night cravings that doom my efforts...

I'm hoping to get there too. It's the late night cravings that doom my efforts...

That's why my eating period goes from around 1700-2200. I go to be with a full belly most nights.

Is this akin to the Atkins thing about 10 years ago? I remember people having a hard time with that one.
I had a hard time with it because everyone's breath was horrible from it; all that meat and fat desperately trying to digest. o_O

Don't torture yourself with any plan I guess would be my only advice. It has to be doable for long term. Short-course crashes can do more long term damage to your metabolism quite often than slow and steady. The body panics and makes more fat on the rebound.

Been counting carbs as a Type I diabetic pretty much my whole life. The Weight Watchers diet back in the day was essentially a modified diabetic carb counting diet. I only count carbs. Fats and proteins in moderation are essentially "free" calories (although I eat pretty lean cuts of everything.)
Lots of veggies are free foods, and if you stick to less glycemic fruits, you won't spike your insulin levels too much.
Even things like potatoes, I'll eat red or yukon that are less starchy than russets. Things like Pizza are toughest to judge the sugar spike and needed insulin. The fat calories slow the carb absorption so much, it can take a good 6-8 hrs for all the carb count to finally digest and hit.

Last night was taco tuesday. Corn shells, beef, lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream. Would that be considered "Keto?"

Taco Tuesday, all good for Keto but the corn shell. Tomato ok but has 6 grams carb /5 oz. Beef, Cheese and sour cream are welcomed in Keto due to the fat that will be burned in ketosis state. We're going to do tacos using lettuce as the "shell".

Taco Tuesday, all good for Keto but the corn shell. Tomato ok but has 6 grams carb /5 oz. Beef, Cheese and sour cream are welcomed in Keto due to the fat that will be burned in ketosis state. We're going to do tacos using lettuce as the "shell".
You can get low carb tortillas, too.

1 week in, she's down 8.6 lbs, I'm down 7. Yeah, I know... we'll hit a plateau, but heading in the right direction for now and will modify to maintain...that's the goal.

I have 1 thing that I try and control(very hard for me) and that's beer. The other thing is MODERATION. IF I try and do "good" on the first and do the second I'll be fine... Craft beer has a bunch of carbs

I have 1 thing that I try and control(very hard for me) and that's beer. The other thing is MODERATION. IF I try and do "good" on the first and do the second I'll be fine... Craft beer has a bunch of carbs
whiskey is carb-free 🤫

But your body needs some carbs especially for thinking power.
The corn is not all that glycemic (4 shells is 30g, about the same as two pieces of bread.)

All these diets seem to want to recreate our "early man" diets.
However, lifespan was 20 years back then, so.... maybe not so good for the long term? :unsure:;)
I think just not wearing your pancreas out with overuse and the inflammatory responses in the body which make it insulin resistant are the biggies.
But the forgoing of carbs to that extent seems extreme and not really in moderation?

Edit: STRESS. Going through the most extreme stress of my life right now and it makes bloodsugar control almost impossible.
The interaction with insulin needs as a diabetic that stress creates with that cortisol release is incredible.
Whatever you do, make sure cortisol control and relaxation is part of your life as well, or its hard to see benefit from the other efforts you are making!
(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
There is a lot of sugar in alcohol? It's tough for me to drink with diabetes and don't do it very often. The effects on bloodsugar levels are profound.
They drop dramatically from the alcohol, and then after that, the body starts absorbing the sugars and the levels rise rapidly thereafter.
Drinking on an empty stomach has never been an option.

Grandpa finally stopped drinking in his 70's. He needed donuts with ice cream and strawberry jam on top to make up for the caloric losses.

I love ice cream. I buy Breyer's Carb Smart ice cream in bulk. I'll add peanuts and a little honey to it and eat that at night before bed.

Enlightened Keto Ice Cream has 4g net carbs in a pint. It's full fat and full delicious!

ya, and guess who got a keg fridge a couple of months ago...

Enlightened Keto Ice Cream has 4g net carbs in a pint. It's full fat and full delicious!
At $15 for 1.5 quarts, I'll pass. I'll just have to keep adding peanuts to my Breyer's.

no, none in standard liquors.
I guess I use "sugars" and "carbs" interchangably for the diabetic carb counting, so that's probably confusing matters.
But even if something doesn't have "added sugars" as they are adding to the nutrion labels now, our bodies are great sugar makers and just convert the carbs to sugar, so I just skip the steps in between and refer to them as sugars as that is what they are going to be made into anyway. (y)(y)
It think carbs are absolutely necessary for everyone. But putting them on "slow burn" with lean meats and healthy fats is the way to go for sure.
My diet is also gluten free, which is a nightmare of high carb options made from things like rice and tapioca. So diabetes management within that context, you can imagine, is an adventure all the time. 6.7 A1C last time, and 6.1 the time before. Still kickin ass!! (y)

Edit: OK, I know NOTHING about alcohol. It shows how long since I've had a drink last that I've never ventured into where the calories come from with it. Vodka is low cal. Damn. I mean, I knew the mixers and all that of course, but dang. So it just thins the blood and eases inflammation short term, and that's why the alcohol causes the short-term drop in bloodsugar levels for everyone. That and the insulin release. Less inflammation in the body and insulin works all the more I have found.

(I did read about criminal behavior and the resultant drop in bloodsugar when consuming alcohol, followed by the rise, and how quickly it occurred often correlated with the type of crimes they had committed under the influence of alcohol. They were hypoglycemic and have no idea what they're doing under the influence due to lack of sugar to run the brain due to the overwhelming flood of insulin from the pancreas, just like any diabetic going into hypoglecemia. It was a fascinating read.)

Last edited:
I guess I use "sugars" and "carbs" interchangably for the diabetic carb counting, so that's probably confusing matters.
But even if something doesn't have "added sugars" as they are adding to the nutrion labels now, our bodies are great sugar makers and just convert the carbs to sugar, so I just skip the steps in between and refer to them as sugars as that is what they are going to be made into anyway. (y)(y)
It think carbs are absolutely necessary for everyone. But putting them on "slow burn" with lean meats and healthy fats is the way to go for sure.
My diet is also gluten free, which is a nightmare of high carb options made from things like rice and tapioca. So diabetes management within that context, you can imagine, is an adventure all the time. 6.7 A1C last time, and 6.1 the time before. Still kickin ass!! (y)
good on ya. (y) that's not easy to stay on top of.

there's still no carbs or "sugars" in straight liquor. There are calories.

good on ya. (y) that's not easy to stay on top of.

there's still no carbs or "sugars" in straight liquor. There are calories.
Thank you. I'm reading a little about it now. I'm struggling with the concept a bit.
I do have "free foods" and know about how much if any it affects the sugars.
I think my absolute ignorance on the topic is a blessing in many ways. :LOL:;)
But I do have to take it seriously for the bloodsugar control, so I'm trying to get this right.
Had some Hornitos and soda with lime last night. Delicious and didn't jack the sugars at all. (y)

Edit: OK, I know NOTHING about alcohol. It shows how long since I've had a drink last that I've never ventured into where the calories come from with it. Vodka is low cal. Damn. I mean, I knew the mixers and all that of course, but dang. So it just thins the blood and eases inflammation short term, and that's why the alcohol causes the short-term drop in bloodsugar levels for everyone. That and the insulin release. Less inflammation in the body and insulin works all the more I have found.

(I did read about criminal behavior and the resultant drop in bloodsugar when consuming alcohol, followed by the rise, and how quickly it occurred often correlated with the type of crimes they had committed under the influence of alcohol. They were hypoglycemic and have no idea what they're doing under the influence due to lack of sugar to run the brain due to the overwhelming flood of insulin from the pancreas, just like any diabetic going into hypoglecemia. It was a fascinating read.)

That does sound interesting. I'm gonna need a link to that.

I agree that carbs are definitely necessary for everyone. I just believe that any carbs and/or sugar your body needs can be acquired by eating natural, unprocessed fruits and vegetables.

That does sound interesting. I'm gonna need a link to that.

I agree that carbs are definitely necessary for everyone. I just believe that any carbs and/or sugar your body needs can be acquired by eating natural, unprocessed fruits and vegetables.
I'm trying to remember which University it was out of. Definitely a southern Uni. Maybe Texas A&M? It was about 7 or 8 years ago I read it.
I did a quick search by "hypoglecemia and types of crime" and many articles came up in Google.
Reading in general the meltdowns people can have from low bloodsugar (raises own hand) just that is fascinating.
The lunch hour at work is never given enough importance. :LOL:

Keto coffee... actually blending our coffee with unsalted grass-fed butter and almond milk. It's a thing, and it works. Like having a cappuccino.
We did a major cupboard and pantry purge yesterday. The local food pantry will see the benefit. A corner of our kitchen counter had a complete turnover. Where we once kept sugar and flour canisters and bread is now populated with measuring cups/spoons an air frier and a bullet blender along with home grown veggies.

Last edited:
My wife has been doing Keto for a few months and it is working and she finds it fairly easy. I can’t do it unless I give up my IPA’s which is not going to happen so I do the intermittent fasting 5 days a week which really means just not eating anything until noon. It was tough the first week but now I’m not hungry at all in the morning. I started back in April and dropped about 11 pounds over The first 6 weeks and have maintained my weight at or near 177 since then.

IMG_9311.jpeg

Last night's dinner (a portion of the steak anyways). Garlic butter topped Grilled Prime Sirloin, oven roasted cauliflower with Parmesan cheese and a home made (the Mrs) roasted red pepper/garlic/evo/coconut milk/lemon juice/fresh basil and sea salt to taste...

Tonight we did a chicken/garlic/mushroom/bokchoy stir fry over cauliflower rice. A dash of Thai seasoning at the end, fan friggin tactic.

I'm down 17 lbs since starting. Thankful that my wife started us down this path. Easy to do so far, discovering lots of new recipes and never feeling any cravings or hunger at the end of the day. Energy/focus is up, waste material (water bottles, food packaging, food waste) a fraction of prior, and enjoying the journey with my wife as we plan shop and cook together have been additional benefits.

Back