State of the Industry?

TeeJayeff

Next year is the year.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
15.4 GHIN
So I’ve never been one to pay much attention to what’s happening in the industry, but I’ve always noticed who is playing what type of equipment. I’ve never seen so many different new and seemingly small boutique brands with such really cool stuff (e.g., putters, irons and even golf balls). Is this an industry renaissance as far as the number of competing brands, or is it roughly the same number of manufacturers as in the past? Will we be back to just the big OEMs before too long or will there be staying power for many of these companies? As someone recently very much on the Edel bandwagon, I hope this trend continues.

Also, are there any boutique drivers out there? That I haven’t noticed. I suppose PXG fell into this category although I’m not sure that label still applies.

Isn't there a driver company someone on here posted that has crazy designs and super low lofts.

Isn't there a driver company someone on here posted that has crazy designs and super low lofts.
We reviewed them on the homepage. Goldiloxxx was the name of one of them. They’re definitely unique, it was an experience haha

We reviewed them on the homepage. Goldiloxxx was the name of one of them. They’re definitely unique, it was an experience haha
Yeah that's where I remember it from. They were wild looking.

So I’ve never been one to pay much attention to what’s happening in the industry, but I’ve always noticed who is playing what type of equipment. I’ve never seen so many different new and seemingly small boutique brands with such really cool stuff (e.g., putters, irons and even golf balls). Is this an industry renaissance as far as the number of competing brands, or is it roughly the same number of manufacturers as in the past? Will we be back to just the big OEMs before too long or will there be staying power for many of these companies? As someone recently very much on the Edel bandwagon, I hope this trend continues.

Also, are there any boutique drivers out there? That I haven’t noticed. I suppose PXG fell into this category although I’m not sure that label still applies.
The thing is, social media kinda skews the actual popularity of most of the boutique or DTC brands. It’s already such a niche thing, and SM itself is only a fraction of reality.

They’re more visible now because it costs nothing to get in social media and put yourself out there, but they’re not legitimate competitors with the OEM’s where market share goes.

But, boutique and bespoke is fun for some of us. Options are fun.

I feel like the boutique brands have an easier row to hoe in segments where technology and thus an R&D budget are not integral parts of the design. In equipment that is basically milled wedges, milled putters, and maybe forged irons. Drivers have so much tech you can't just enter the market with minimal R&D and compete against Callaway.

Back