Stretching place - any good?

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Having some success with a PT stretching my hamstrings for a knee and back issue. This is a short term solution. But, is working great. It was making me think that these stretching places are popping up here at maybe I should continue with stretching for my multiple ailments :). From what I can tell, they take any Joe or Jane off the street and put them through a 2 week course. Can there be any risk here, if they are not qualified? I'd feel better if at least they came from a trainer job from a gym. One of the places I see is called Stretch Lab.

Finally getting to the StretchZone on Wednesday. It's either going to ruin me or get me on track to resolve my knee pain. Also, I am trying to fix many years of a desk job. Anyone have any experiences with these places?

My opinion based on what I've read and own biases in the fitness sphere ...

Plenty of research out there that flexibility is a poor predictor of injury aversion. Hyper flexibility may lead to further injury at worse, at best decreases performance.

Any activity for a detrained sedentary individual will show improvement in baseline conditions.

That's my experience with stretching. I haven't worked with any of these stretching clinics.

My opinion based on what I've read and own biases in the fitness sphere ...

Plenty of research out there that flexibility is a poor predictor of injury aversion. Hyper flexibility may lead to further injury at worse, at best decreases performance.

Any activity for a detrained sedentary individual will show improvement in baseline conditions.

That's my experience with stretching. I haven't worked with any of these stretching clinics.
As far as decreased performance, are you taking about the power output study based on static stretching before hand?

hyper flexibility is typically a genetic predisposition (high levels of laxity) where stability training / getting strong in those end ranges in necessary to mitigate the injury risk I think you are talking about

I think it’s beneficial. try to find one of the people with more experience if you are worried about the lack of experience
I’ve been stretched with the PNF technique, which they typically use at these places. I think just communicate with them if things start to feel too uncomfortable. You don’t want to overdo it

As far as decreased performance, are you taking about the power output study based on static stretching before hand?

hyper flexibility is typically a genetic predisposition (high levels of laxity) where stability training / getting strong in those end ranges in necessary to mitigate the injury risk I think you are talking about
Multiple studies show decreased power output after stretching.

Hyper mobility is a genetic condition. I'm splitting hairs when I say hyper flexibility, but yes strength training through a full range of motion is important regardless. I'm a big proponent that strength training is more important than stretching. We need to be flexible enough to assume the general positions required for a specific activity, stretching beyond that should not be recommended.

These stretching clinics need to be viewed as "return to baseline" outlets, not long term solutions.

Last edited:
I went once and it was good but man it was expensive.

Multiple studies show decreased power output after stretching.

Hyper mobility is a genetic condition. I'm splitting hairs when I say hyper flexibility, but yes strength training through a full range of motion is important regardless. I'm a big proponent that strength training is more important than stretching. We need to be flexible enough to assume the general positions required for a specific activity, stretching beyond that should not recommended.

These stretching clinics need to be viewed as "return to baseline" outlets, not long term solutions.
that’s fair

I'm not expert. I'm not even a novice but, if you're already seeing a PT and they're helping you stretch, why don't you take what you're learning there and keep it going for yourself. If nothing else, it'll save you money in the end... and you can spend that on golf stuff.:D(y)(y)

I'm not expert. I'm not even a novice but, if you're already seeing a PT and they're helping you stretch, why don't you take what you're learning there and keep it going for yourself. If nothing else, it'll save you money in the end... and you can spend that on golf stuff.:D(y)(y)

I hear you. But, being a senior with multiple chronic inuries/issues, the self exercise it not as easy as I'd like it to be. The idea of assisted stretching is appealing. Going today to the stretch zone and will report back.

I think it’s beneficial. try to find one of the people with more experience if you are worried about the lack of experience
I’ve been stretched with the PNF technique, which they typically use at these places. I think just communicate with them if things start to feel too uncomfortable. You don’t want to overdo it

Good idea to research the stretcher. The guy I am seeing has a degree in Exercise Science, which at least gives me some hope. I was worried some of these folks were waitresses turned stretching people who got certified in a few day class.

Went to stretch zone. The stretcher carefully described what she was going to do before, during and after, I was surprised at the level of professionalism and communication. She did a quick intake and physical evaluation and then went to a warm up and stretching. I think this is an awesome way to stay flexible with no effort. In my case, my knee hurt after and I will not move forward. Back to the doctor. So, not for me at this moment. But, I'd highly recommend looking into it. The first visit is free. Looking at their facebook, they are adding stores weekly and they are growing like crazy.

Back