Stryker's Club Champion fitting experience

Stryker

#NothingFeelsLikeAMizuno
Reaction score
I wanted to do this last year while they were running the half priced fittings but by the time I could work it in my schedule they had already filled up all the time slots and it just didn't work out. I was excited that I was able to easily book a time this year that worked for me. I booked my time for the Raleigh(Cary), NC location. They have a new one in Richmond but the drive was about the same either way and I was trying to avoid Richmond this week with all the crazies out down there for Lobby Day in VA. I arrived a few minutes early, they open at 10, and they were already there and ready to go. I was introduced to Taylor Flieg who was to be the fitter working with me for the day.

I spent a few minutes talking with Taylor about what I wanted to get out of the fitting and the current state of my game. Basically, I was here for educational purposes but not opposed by any means to finding anything that would help my game. I was not brand specific at all either and open to whatever he wanted to try. I told him I knew my driver and woods game is off right now. Timid is the word I used to describe it and that comes from some swing issues, mostly setup really, that was causing me to not find center face. That was leading to confidence issues and I was not really swinging to my max potential and knew it. He had me warm up with a few PW and 7i swings and then off we went! He is supposed to email me the numbers we saw yesterday but as of yet I have not received them so this will be mostly from memory and without much visual aid.(sorry!)

We started with my F9 driver and as I expected I was getting almost exclusively heel hits and my swing speeds were low. I was also seeing my normal left miss consistently. After a few of my driver, he randomly grabbed the Ping G410 head and plugged in a shaft. I didn't ask what it was and just gave it a few swings. It was better but still not great so we swapped shafts a few more times. Again, I didn't even ask what he was plugging in each time as I didn't want my over active mind to prejudge anything. We finally found one that worked really well. I started hit really small tight fades instead of my left miss. The final shaft that seemed to work best for me was the counter balanced VA Composites Nemesys 75 stiff. After that, we started swapping heads and experimenting with swing weight. The problem though was again with me making heel strikes and being timid with my swing and we knew the numbers were not great and why. I will say I tested the heel forgiveness on almost everything available right now and the Maverik Max performed best on heel strikes by a large margin. More on that in the Mavrik thread later. He finally suggested if I really wanted to upgrade driver head go with the 10.5 Maverik Max with a D3 swing weight but told me he honestly felt just changing the shaft on my F9 would suffice when I got my swing worked out.

My 3W was next and started much the same as the driver. I did finally realize something I was doing and made a slight change that suddenly seemed to correct my swing issue. My F8 3W tended to trickle out a bit much to the right. He told me he knew exactly what would work for me and grabbed the new TaylorMade SIM Max Rocket 3 head. We did try a couple shafts but quickly found out the Mitsubishi Chemicals Diamana BF 70 stiff was the ticket. I had gained a little confidence and lost some of my timid swings by that point and I was astounded by that 3W. My best strikes with it carried 250+ with totals around 270. It is simply a beast. Very slight fade for me paired with that shaft of 15-25 feet tops. I can live with that all day. Even the few heel strikes I got with it still went over 250 yards total so we stopped there and knew we had a keeper.

We briefly talked hybrids and I hit a few but nothing was really working well for me and he suggested moving on to irons and talking about that more later. They fit using 6i heads and in all honesty I have less confidence in my 6i then I do in my 5i which is not saying much for it. Yesterday however my irons game was strong. I hit my Cobra FTB solidly and after a few swings he tells me he honestly loves the head for me but wants to see a heavier shaft then my Recoils. He got their FTB head, and plugged in the Aerotech Steelfiber i125. I do prefer graphite shafts and that is why we went that route first. It was ok but not quite right so we backed it down to the Aerotech Steelfiber i110 and there was where we found great results. My swings speeds with it were around 92mph club head speed and I while I don't recall carry distances I do recall the longest totals just over 190. I don't recall the launch angle, descent angle, or spin rates but all were excellent as well as tight dispersion with a very slight fade. He basically told me what he saw was very similar to tour average including smash factor and that made me feel pretty good about it. We did try a few other heads just to see but nothing was any better although the Srixon Z785 was t*t for tat and looked sexy as could be looking down at it. Not enough of a reason to invest in it and he suggested just reshafting my FTB the Steelfiber i110 taper stiff shafts. We did try an Oban steel shaft to see as even though I prefer graphite I wanted to be openminded. It was honestly not bad but I was starting to get tired by that time and when I did have a mishit I was not happy with how it felt in my hands which was why I went away from steel to begin with.

Next we talked wedges a bit. We decided that I am comfortable enough with my King Black 54* and he saw no reason to change that but asked me how I feel about my Cleveland CBX 58*. My honest answer was I used to not carry anything beyond 54* and am just now starting to use the 58* more effectively but I had some concerns. My concerns were it just felt bulky to me and at 58* I felt like opening it up sometimes and that made me nervous with the chunky cavity back. I told him all I use it for is short chips, short sided bunker shots, and some short pitch shots and I just felt a more traditional wedge and possibly one in 60* might be a better option for what I am using it for. He smiled and told me that was exactly what he was thinking the whole time and we started checking out some different wedges and grinds. We finally found that the Ping Glide 3.0 60* SS grind with the stock steel shaft was just butter for me all day with the short pitch and chips shots I like to use it for.

We finally decided my bag should be driver, 3W, 5W at the top. He had me listed down for 5-GW in my current FTB with the shaft change, my current 54* and then the Ping Glide 3.0 60*. It was then I asked him what to do about the spot that my current 4H is in because we never really talked about what to do there. He told me after watching my speeds and launch with the 6i, he felt I should just ditch the hybrid altogether and get a 4i to match the rest of my set. Again, kind of what I wanted to hear because I just like hitting irons more then hybrids. Below is the sheet he worked up for me on his suggestions:

CC.jpeg

Continued....

We finished up with the SAM PuttLab putter fitting. My putter has been really solid since I bought it on the 4th of July but I was really interested in what I would learn. I rolled a few putts around 15ft or so before we attached the device and my stroke felt great. I think I missed one out of seven and that one burned the right edge. After attaching and calibrating the device. I rolled a few more putts with similar results and then I was able to see what I was doing. The device rated pretty much everything as being excellent. My stroke was dead online as well as my aim on almost every single putt. Once in a blue moon my stroke would drift every so slightly to the right but it was minimal. Loft was around 2.4 and from what he says it should be 2.0-2.5 so that was solid and consistent. The only thing we saw that was a minor issue really was the face was consistently about 1 degree open at impact and he felt it needed a different toe hang to square that up. We did find the Scotty Newport 3 took care of that quick fast and in a hurry but as we discussed it we decided as well I was putting the ball it was probably not worth a $400 putter upgrade for 1* of face being open.

He did talk to me about making shafts pure which of course they charge $30 a shaft for. I don't know if that is really worth it or not and would love to hear some opinions from guys who know. I mean if I was playing somewhere in the single digit caps then maybe I would be more inclined that it might dial it in some but I am not sure the average golfer is going to really see any difference.

My biggest takeaways were, and the first I knew, I need to fix my timid and unconfident driver swing and a new shaft is in order there. Their price on the shaft is $390 though and I am hoping to find a better deal on it somewhere else. I also know I need me some TM SIM Max fairways in my life. I could almost go without a driver ever with the results I was getting form that and be happy. But for them 2 fairways with the correct shafts and all was almost $1500. Seems really high to me and hoping to find a more local builder to do it at a better price. The same goes with reshafting the irons. Their price is $85 per iron and I can get Cobra to reshaft them for $45 per iron and they will even take care of 2 day shipping both ways with a turn around time in the shop of about 3 days. 1 week or so to having those back plus almost half the price is too good to pass up. That is going to definitely be something I am doing pretty soon. I will probably be picking up the 4i shortly and that Ping Glide 3.0 wedge as well. The wedge is going to be a big help for me around the greens from what I was seeing there and we all know short game is key to improving scores. I am going to leave my putter alone. I am happy with it and confident with it. On the other hand the putter ho comes out in me on occasion and I would be tempted if I found a used Scotty Newport 3 in good shape at the right price.

All in all it was an experience that was well worth the $175 fees they offer this time of year. Taylor was a really great guy and I felt like he was honest with me about everything. We had some laugh and such as well but I appreciated him not trying to sell me on club heads I don't really need and such. I knew they were expensive on the club building side before going but I needed the knowledge to know what was the best route for me before making any decisions. Those in the know talk to me about making shafts Pure and whether that is even something I should worry about and hopefully he will send me some of the Trackman data to share at some point.

Continued....

We finished up with the SAM PuttLab putter fitting. My putter has been really solid since I bought it on the 4th of July but I was really interested in what I would learn. I rolled a few putts around 15ft or so before we attached the device and my stroke felt great. I think I missed one out of seven and that one burned the right edge. After attaching and calibrating the device. I rolled a few more putts with similar results and then I was able to see what I was doing. The device rated pretty much everything as being excellent. My stroke was dead online as well as my aim on almost every single putt. Once in a blue moon my stroke would drift every so slightly to the right but it was minimal. Loft was around 2.4 and from what he says it should be 2.0-2.5 so that was solid and consistent. The only thing we saw that was a minor issue really was the face was consistently about 1 degree open at impact and he felt it needed a different toe hang to square that up. We did find the Scotty Newport 3 took care of that quick fast and in a hurry but as we discussed it we decided as well I was putting the ball it was probably not worth a $400 putter upgrade for 1* of face being open.

He did talk to me about making shafts pure which of course they charge $30 a shaft for. I don't know if that is really worth it or not and would love to hear some opinions from guys who know. I mean if I was playing somewhere in the single digit caps then maybe I would be more inclined that it might dial it in some but I am not sure the average golfer is going to really see any difference.

My biggest takeaways were, and the first I knew, I need to fix my timid and unconfident driver swing and a new shaft is in order there. Their price on the shaft is $390 though and I am hoping to find a better deal on it somewhere else. I also know I need me some TM SIM Max fairways in my life. I could almost go without a driver ever with the results I was getting form that and be happy. But for them 2 fairways with the correct shafts and all was almost $1500. Seems really high to me and hoping to find a more local builder to do it at a better price. The same goes with reshafting the irons. Their price is $85 per iron and I can get Cobra to reshaft them for $45 per iron and they will even take care of 2 day shipping both ways with a turn around time in the shop of about 3 days. 1 week or so to having those back plus almost half the price is too good to pass up. That is going to definitely be something I am doing pretty soon. I will probably be picking up the 4i shortly and that Ping Glide 3.0 wedge as well. The wedge is going to be a big help for me around the greens from what I was seeing there and we all know short game is key to improving scores. I am going to leave my putter alone. I am happy with it and confident with it. On the other hand the putter ho comes out in me on occasion and I would be tempted if I found a used Scotty Newport 3 in good shape at the right price.

All in all it was an experience that was well worth the $175 fees they offer this time of year. Taylor was a really great guy and I felt like he was honest with me about everything. We had some laugh and such as well but I appreciated him not trying to sell me on club heads I don't really need and such. I knew they were expensive on the club building side before going but I needed the knowledge to know what was the best route for me before making any decisions. Those in the know talk to me about making shafts Pure and whether that is even something I should worry about and hopefully he will send me some of the Trackman data to share at some point.
Great review.

Curious whether the iron reshafting cost of $85 from CC and $45 from Cobra includes the cost of shaft or if the shaft is in addition to this.

That was a great review!!! Glad you found some things that should help your game.

Great review.

Curious whether the iron reshafting cost of $85 from CC and $45 from Cobra includes the cost of shaft or if the shaft is in addition to this.
Both the same things including the shaft basically. I am shipping them to Cobra on Monday and for $45each they are going to pay 2 day shipping both ways, reshaft, check lofts, check lie, put on new GP MCC+4 Align grips, and then ship them back 2 day shipping.

Great review, sir! ;)

Awesome review! I like that they still give you their full attention even knowing you obviously aren't buying from them.

Thanks for the review. We just recently got a club champion in okc. May have to check it out

Awesome review! I like that they still give you their full attention even knowing you obviously aren't buying from them.
Well to be fair I never really told them what I was going to do about that. I just did some research after I left with their quote and went from there because I felt they were quite high.

Well to be fair I never really told them what I was going to do about that. I just did some research after I left with their quote and went from there because I felt they were quite high.
Ah ok. That's what I did too, but I didn't feel pressured to buy at least.

Great Review! I will be curious to hear how they feel when played compared to the Recoils.

Both the same things including the shaft basically. I am shipping them to Cobra on Monday and for $45each they are going to pay 2 day shipping both ways, reshaft, check lofts, check lie, put on new GP MCC+4 Align grips, and then ship them back 2 day shipping.
Wow, that’s a great price from Cobra considering just the shaft plus the grip retail for more than that.

Sounded like a great experience. $1500 for 2 fairways is a lot, but they have people do it everyday.

Sounded like a great experience. $1500 for 2 fairways is a lot, but they have people do it everyday.
Found a much better price from someone recommended here on the forum. Will be ordering the fairways this week when the builder gets caught up from the PGA show.

Shipped out the FTB to Cobra today. Ping wedge should be here tomorrow. FTB 4I should be here Thursday. Mavrik Max is backordered but should be here soon. I am going to try the Aldila Rogue White and if I don’t like it will get the Nemesys. That will take care of my bag for a while. Still half considering a Newport 3 if I happen across one used at a good price.

Great review Stryker. Not surprised by the prices but sounds like an awesome experience.

Found a much better price from someone recommended here on the forum. Will be ordering the fairways this week when the builder gets caught up from the PGA show.

Shipped out the FTB to Cobra today. Ping wedge should be here tomorrow. FTB 4I should be here Thursday. Mavrik Max is backordered but should be here soon. I am going to try the Aldila Rogue White and if I don’t like it will get the Nemesys. That will take care of my bag for a while. Still half considering a Newport 3 if I happen across one used at a good price.
Nothing like a bag makeover!

Nothing like a bag makeover!
Yeah. This is the first major makeover since May 2018. Really looking forward to this year. I am starting to really feel good about most of my game and I just feel like I will be even more confident knowing these clubs are fit for me.

Great write up man!

Lots of great detail and sounds like a positive experience. Good to hear you found a better deal on the fairways. Looking forward to feedback on the new glide3 wedge as you start playing it.
Definitely. I have a bit of a plan formed for the next week and a half or so without my irons. With the wedge arriving tomorrow, I am planning a nice little range visit Wednesday to do nothing but work with it on some short game stuff and maybe some putting. Thursday my 4I shows up so the plan is another range trip Thursday or Friday for a bit more short game with the Glide 3.0 and some workout of the new 4I. I will probably go to the range again over the weekend for more work on both and probably throw in some time with my F8 driver. This should get me a solid feel for the new clubs I will have before the irons get back.

Finding someone who is a expert and cheaper is Amazing. Having the clubs you need for less. Priceless. :drinks:

My Ping Glide 3.0 60* and my set FTB 4I showed up today. I took them both to the range this afternoon for a bit before dark. That Glide 3.0 is going to be a heck of a nasty weapon for me. I knew it after the first couple soft pitch shots. It’s probably the first wedge that I have ever really loved the feel of the bounce on. I had no intentions of full swinging it but figured what the heck and that was easy too.

The 4I had me a bit nervous. I have never really felt like a guy capable of hitting a decent 4I. I admit it was a bit iffy for me the first few swing s and then I realized I was being timid with and just let her rip. I couldn’t put it down until I ran out of range balls....... twice. I actually walked out on the range and picked up a bunch so I could hit more after I ran out. Our range has free balls and just leaves huge baskets out but it was fairly low at the end of the day like that. I finally had to go as it was almost dark and I still had to get food for the wife and kids but I am going back for more to my other home course range tomorrow for sure. I really can’t wait until the first time I find myself sitting out in striking range of that 4I on a par 5.

I will be posting up more thoughts on the Ping Glide 3.0 soon in the official thread. I really want to spend some time chipping and hitting some bunker shots with it before finalizing my initial thoughts.

Great Review! I will be curious to hear how they feel when played compared to the Recoils.
If the 4I I ordered for the set with the Steelfiber in it already is any indication, they feel like butter.

Awesome write-up Stryker.

Sounds like you had a great fitting and good experience.

$175 is a great price for the detail that they provide.

Awesome write-up Stryker.

Sounds like you had a great fitting and good experience.

$175 is a great price for the detail that they provide.
I totally agree. Feeling that Steelfiber today in the 4I has me biting my nails waiting on the rest of my irons to come back reshafted to the same shaft. The sad thing is I am more excited about the fairways and I have not even finalized the order on them yet because the builder is a bit behind catching up from the PGA Show. This is just going to be one awesome year.

Back