SunMountain 4.5 vs. 2.5

E Lee

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been carrying a lot this season which has been great, using a SM 4.5 bag. I love the bag, but it's not particularly great carrying that bag for 18 holes in 95 degree weather. Has anyone switched to the 2.5 from the 4.5? I think the actual weight difference is something closer to 2.5-3 lbs. It just doesn't seem to be that big a difference to justify another bag, but my friend's 2.5 does feel lighter. Maybe you'd notice the 2.5lbs over 6 miles of walking?

I haven't switched between those exact two bags but I did go from a Stitch SL2 to an old Sun Mountain Swift which is supposedly 2.5 lbs and I notice a substantial difference over 4+ hours of carrying the bag.

I've been carrying a lot this season which has been great, using a SM 4.5 bag. I love the bag, but it's not particularly great carrying that bag for 18 holes in 95 degree weather. Has anyone switched to the 2.5 from the 4.5? I think the actual weight difference is something closer to 2.5-3 lbs. It just doesn't seem to be that big a difference to justify another bag, but my friend's 2.5 does feel lighter. Maybe you'd notice the 2.5lbs over 6 miles of walking?

I have the 2.5 and I have used it for several years. When my back is not acting up, I prefer to carry. I noticed a difference between the 2.5 and my previous bag. It was not a 4.5 but it was heavier. I would recommend the 2.5 for anyone who likes to carry. It's lightweight, yet it has ample room to store what you need.

I just don't see how a 2 (or even 3) pound difference could mean much over the long haul. I mean, unless you're reducing what you're carrying in the bag, too, (which you could easily do in the 4.5, then you're only losing 2 (or 3) out of 20 pounds or so, right?

The thing about that... some of our bags get lighter as we go along because we keep losing balls(y) or is it more like:eek::ROFLMAO:

I think my push cart bag is 5.5 lbs and I had another that was about 8.5 lbs and even pushing I could tell the difference. If you like to carry, a lighter bag sounds like a good investment. That or chiro.

I have a 4.5, 2.5 and 3.5 which I've collected over 3 yrs. The 3.5 and 4.5 have the HUG (ZeroG) system - the belt around the waist, which does help, and which you can take off the bag if you don't want to use it.

For the 2.5, good bag, but make sure the straps work. And if you carry a quart of water in the bottom of the bag, it throws off the balance of the bag. Lighter? Yes. Helps? Definitely. Comfortable and Balanced? You need to decide. I'd go to a store, as I did, load it up with clubs off the rack, put some stuff in the pockets, bring a water bottle, put it on your back and adjust. Just tell the salesguy that you're demoing. I've done it at PGATSS. Not an issue.

I tend to prefer the 3.5/Zero Gravity (HUG) as long as I'm packing light - it's easier to balance and better straps, more room. Belt System does take weight off your shoulders. Try it, too. As to the 2.5, you can change straps by ordering better ones to replace the originals. Call SM CS.

Last edited:
3 pounds over the space of roughly 4 hours walking isn't anything to shy away from.

Other part to ask yourself is how much stuff do you carry in the current bag? For some, a smaller lighter bag with smaller or fewer pockets means that some stuff has to get discarded.

Don't fool yourself, 2.5 -3 lb is a huge difference, not just on your back, but every time you pick up and put down the bag. Take out a couple of clubs and you're up to ~5 lb savings. Whether it's worth the money is up to you.

p.s. If I walk 5 miles playing, I'm zig zagging all over the course. If you're walking 6, you must be doing the drunken sailor:)

Don't fool yourself, 2.5 -3 lb is a huge difference, not just on your back, but every time you pick up and put down the bag. Take out a couple of clubs and you're up to ~5 lb savings. Whether it's worth the money is up to you.

p.s. If I walk 5 miles playing, I'm zig zagging all over the course. If you're walking 6, you must be doing the drunken sailor:)
I'd like to say I'm playing a course that has a lot of distance between holes, but I'd be lying....

I'm going to try the 2.5, and sell it doesn't make a huge difference. will repost here tomorrow!

3 pounds over the space of roughly 4 hours walking isn't anything to shy away from.

Other part to ask yourself is how much stuff do you carry in the current bag? For some, a smaller lighter bag with smaller or fewer pockets means that some stuff has to get discarded.

This is key. I generally try to only carry 6 golf balls, ball markers/repair tools, tees, a couple of gloves and a water bottle but I use lightweight plastic. I only bring a coat if it is going to rain. When I had a larger bag it used to get bloated with stuff.

This is key. I generally try to only carry 6 golf balls, ball markers/repair tools, tees, a couple of gloves and a water bottle but I use lightweight plastic. I only bring a coat if it is going to rain. When I had a larger bag it used to get bloated with stuff.

My 4.5 is running pretty empty. I've got 14 clubs, closer to 20 balls, 2 gloves and, ball markers/tees, and an extra glove.

2-3 lbs. doesn't sound like a lot, but it's roughly 10% of the total weight you're carrying. I just replaced my 4.5 14-way with a Titleist Players 4 and the 2 lb. reduction was noticed immediately. Eliminate just one club and it gets lighter still.

That being said, I'm having a real hard time navigating the four-way top, so now I'm back looking at the SM 2.5+ 14-way. It looks to be the same weight, and I didn't really have to give up any storage going to the smaller bag so that's a non-issue. I just really prefer the 14-way.

Think about your golf shoes: if you've switched from "traditional" to spikeless, you've probably dropped around 1/3 of a pound. Just think of the difference that has made.

My 4.5 is running pretty empty. I've got 14 clubs, closer to 20 balls, 2 gloves and, ball markers/tees, and an extra glove.

20 golf balls? Do you often go through that many in a round. I can’t see needing more than 10 which would save you a pound and a half anyway. Add to that the extra 2 pounds on the bag and you are looking at 3.5 pounds. That is substantial from my perspective over an 18 hole round.

Verdict in. While I was skeptical that 3 lbs would make a difference, it was definitely noticeably lighter over 18 holes. It took some fiddling with the straps to get it to hang comfortably, and it really needs another small pocket for tees. But for walking, no question on 2.5 vs 4.5.

2-3 lbs. doesn't sound like a lot, but it's roughly 10% of the total weight you're carrying. I just replaced my 4.5 14-way with a Titleist Players 4 and the 2 lb. reduction was noticed immediately. Eliminate just one club and it gets lighter still.

That being said, I'm having a real hard time navigating the four-way top, so now I'm back looking at the SM 2.5+ 14-way. It looks to be the same weight, and I didn't really have to give up any storage going to the smaller bag so that's a non-issue. I just really prefer the 14-way.

Think about your golf shoes: if you've switched from "traditional" to spikeless, you've probably dropped around 1/3 of a pound. Just think of the difference that has made.

I do believe the 14 way 2.5+ is heavier than the 4 way.

Back