Sustainable Footwear?

ryang13

Wristy McWristFace
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
9.0 GC
Got an email this morning from Puma about their limited sustainability collection. Shoes look awesome, and I like the thought of using recycled materials. Obviously this isn’t a new trend, as other brands have jumped in with apparel, what’s next on the sustainability trend I wonder?

I love the thought, but they always make the designs so weird. I did have a pair of recycled adidas code chaos a couple years ago that I was a huge fan of. The new Nike Frees are made of sustainable materials too and are some of the first that look like normal designs instead of making them be a separate model.

Not my style whatsoever, but I love the idea. As an environmental lawyer, I love seeing more and more companies using recycled materials.

Adidas have been making their shoes out of recycled plastic for a good while now. It’s not something that I actively hunt, but if the shoes looks good, I guess it’s a bit of an added bonus.

Glad to see using recycled materials moving into the golf industry. It's taking over in summer outdoor sports arenas, hope the same happens here.

I like the idea but the slipstream is a style that misses for me. Give me sustainable Avants and I bite.

Recycled plastic in shoes is all good but it's our clothing that is a real problem. Filling dumps and waterways with microfibers.

Right now, according to that 2022 study, here in the United States, 85% of our textiles are going to landfill or being incinerated. And while 15% is being reused, donated, or recycled, less than 1% of that is actually being closed-loop recycled into new clothing

The new Nike Frees are made of sustainable materials too and are some of the first that look like normal designs instead of making them be a separate model.
Speaking of these, my wife surprised me with them today! 20% is sustainable/recycled
IMG_9770.jpeg

Now these are fire from Puma

I think they look pretty good. I just don't understand why they cost so much if they're using recycled materials.
I would guess the process to use recycled material might be more expensive?

I would guess the process to use recycled material might be more expensive?
Bingo!

I read an article once that producing paper towel with recycled content was 3x the cost of new because of the extra processes to clean the recycled portion of material

That doesn't sound very sustainable.
I don't know. I think there is a pretty significant number of people willing to pay more, within reason, to buy something that is better for, or at least perceived to be, for the world.

That doesn't sound very sustainable.
And are you using more resources recycling than with just normal production? Ultimately, are doing more harm than good, as is sometimes the case with EVs and solar/wind facilities?

And are you using more resources recycling than with just normal production? Ultimately, are doing more harm than good, as is sometimes the case with EVs and solar/wind facilities?
That would be my question as well. If it requires more processing, you're ultimately not saving anything. I guess if it gives people a sense that they're saving the world and sells more shoes, then it's good for business.

I've been a fan of Timberland shoes and boots for years. Their recycled soles just don't grip as well as the natural ones. They do last forever so I assume they're really hard.

Back