RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
If you’re on a par 5 and still too far out to get it within 50 yards, what’s your play? Do you have a sweet spot you hit to?

In the past I would just grab 3W and get it as close as I could, but older and wiser me has been taking it easy and knocking it to 75-150, which is generally a sweet spot for me.

That's a big spot. Some of the guys I play with have a preferred layup yardage if they can't get green side but I always go for as close as possible, within reason.

Depends on what is in front of the green for trouble. If no issues I will hit the 3 wood up as far as I can knowing my short game will get me in close on the next shot. If I need to lay up then it will be at 100 yards out.

If you’re on a par 5 and still too far out to get it within 50 yards, what’s your play? Do you have a sweet spot you hit to?

In the past I would just grab 3W and get it as close as I could, but older and wiser me has been taking it easy and knocking it to 75-150, which is generally a sweet spot for me.

That distance usually works for me also.

That's a big spot. Some of the guys I play with have a preferred layup yardage if they can't get green side but I always go for as close as possible, within reason.
The big spot leaves me the option to play to it safe and stay out of trouble or pass over a club I’m not swinging well (looking at you, hybrids). I leave it pretty wide open to minimize risk.

I agree with what others have said, it's very hole design specfic for me. I'm not looking for a distance, I'm looking for the safest landing area that I can hit too.

I am generally better the closer I can get unless the pin is cut tight over a trap. I can't get the ball to stop from 40-50 yards like a full wedge swing. I am comfortable at 50 yards. For a full swing right now my 58* is 80 yards so that would be my full swing lay up distance.

I want to get to 105. I hit my 53* the best out of all my irons or wedges.

90 - 120 yards is pretty reliable, I’m comfortable longer than 120 but under 80 is a crap shoot.

Get it as close to the green as possible on the side of the fairway that leaves me the most green to work with. I don't try to be xxx yards out. I want to be able to use my wedge game and ideally use a lower lofted wedge to bump and run it close to the hole.

Without obstacle or hazard to consider I play long. I have no layup yardage that yields better results than being even closer.

The closer the better. I swear my 60* wedge has turned into a magic wand....

I used to say I'd lay up to 85-120 to get a wedge in my hands, but lately, I'm fairly comfortable with partial wedges.

I try to get as close as possible without introducing any danger. I don't have a specific go-to target number, but I have playing partners that are very specific.

I like the 50-100 range. My 56* has been working pretty decently as of late!

Aim to hit a shot that gets me around 125 in. If I hit it too far I still have 100 and a little short and I’m fine with 150 out.

Depends on the hole, but if it's just a straight layup I like either 100-115 (for an AW) or around 70 (for a 54°).

With the winter layoff and the messed up Covid spring, I am having more luck finding the g-spot than a sweet spot right now! Last season if I was at 90yds it was pin hunting time with my °56 and a full swing.

I go the closest as possible route that won’t completely kill me if I miss. By that I mean, water or OB. I don’t mind bunkers or rough. Only time bunkers would deter me is if the green was either sloping hard away from where o usually miss that club or if the rough is just ungodly thick and having a clean fairway lie is imperative.

At the moment, anything that doesn't leave me between 90 and 110 yds. I'll take 60 - 80 and 120 - 132.

Depending on what the green complex looks like somewhere between 100-125. If I cant get greenside in 2 I want some sort of full wedge into the green. If I worked on partial wedges more I might move it forward.

If I can't get close(20 yards?) to the green I lay back to anywhere from 60-100 yards. I really don't want to leave myself in the 30-40 yard range

Get it as close to the green as possible on the side of the fairway that leaves me the most green to work with. I don't try to be xxx yards out. I want to be able to use my wedge game and ideally use a lower lofted wedge to bump and run it close to the hole.
This is my approach, except I don't have a wedge game. Some day I'll figure out how to use them.

Back