Swing Change or Club Change for More Distance

leftitshort

Reaction score
Handicap
19ish
I'm in the market to upgrade my irons from my first set I bought 10 years ago when I started learning the game and I've noticed in the last year or so that I could benefit from hitting my irons further. Right now my 7i is my 150 yard club so when hitting into the wind here in Texas or out of the rough I end up having to pull 6i and up more often than I'd like for approach shots. Should I look to make swing change and stick with the Srixon ZX5s I originally had my eye on or consider moving to a more distance-focused set like the P790s or Cobra King Forged Tech.

Thanks for the input!

Nothing wrong with the ZX5. More distance could involve a shaft change or potentially working to increase swing speed. I play the ZX5 as well. I'm working on swing speed increases.

Do you think your swing is in a good place? I have found much more distance through lessons and subsequent speed training than club fitting, but my swing had a lot of issues.

I'm comfortable with my swing so I concentrate on exercise, speed training. Club or shaft change helps also. Occasional lessons get me back on track.

Increasing swing speed consistently is difficult. Not having seen your swing it is hard to know if there are some power leaks that are easily plugged.

If your clubs are 10 years old and weren’t fit at the time there may be some easy gains in the fitting. The lofts in the ZX 5s are likely stronger than your current irons and you could easily pick up 5 yards with the new irons over what you are currently playing.

I always believe it is worth improving your swing but there could be some equipment gains also. I would say do both.

I switched from 2009 Callaway X-Forged irons to older Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons and immediately regained some of the distance I had lost, and then some.

What are the current clubs that you have? That will also depend on how much of a game improvement the zx5 would be to you. The clubs I've had since 1995 ARE ping Zings, I tried out a set of zx5 for two rounds of golf and I enjoyed them. I only gained five yards with the newer clubs though. Distance may very :)

If I were buying a set of irons, this would be my priorities, in this order 1) forgiveness (b/c blades do feel good, 1 out of every 15 shots or so when you hit that miniscule sweet spot); 2) descent angle; and 3) apex height.

~Rock

Do you think your swing is in a good place? I have found much more distance through lessons and subsequent speed training than club fitting, but my swing had a lot of issues.

I have been swinging the club better this summer than I ever have before (lots of consistent practice and play). So for the first time I feel like I have a swing I can count on being there when I tee it up every time.

What are the current clubs that you have? That will also depend on how much of a game improvement the zx5 would be to you. The clubs I've had since 1995 ARE ping Zings, I tried out a set of zx5 for two rounds of golf and I enjoyed them. I only gained five yards with the newer clubs though. Distance may very :)

I'm playing a set of Taylormade Burner+ irons I bought when a sporting goods store was closing. They've been great, but I'm ready for an upgrade.

I have been swinging the club better this summer than I ever have before (lots of consistent practice and play). So for the first time I feel like I have a swing I can count on being there when I tee it up every time.

I'm playing a set of Taylormade Burner+ irons I bought when a sporting goods store was closing. They've been great, but I'm ready for an upgrade.

Those irons were fairly jacked for their day with a 45* PW so you may not pick up a ton of distance compared to a ZX5 which is slightly stronger.

Both.

Neither. Two things you need from your irons.

Minimum Dispersion - Your irons are your scoring clubs. They are the ones you primarily use for putting it on the green--close to the hole. It matters little to none whether you hit your 7-iron 150 yards or 170 yards as much as it matters that you know exactly how far you hit it and do so consistently and with minimum left to right dispersion.

Learn to Flight Your Irons - This is a real priority in Texas or anywhere where wind is prevalent. This will also make your distance and direction more predictable (less dispersion, more balls on the green and close to the hole).

Now if you tell me you hit the ball fat, thin, on the hosel and off the toe so often that you've got dispersion problems with any club in your hand, now you need to work on your swing. But not for distance (though that will be a side benefit), but for minimizing your dispersion.

P. S. I'm a scratch golfer and don't hit my 7-iron any longer than you.

Back