Swing finish - where do you stand?

How important is your swing finish to you?

• It's a direct reflection of how good of a shot it was.

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • The ball is gone, dude. Who cares?

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I want it to look good.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I would club toss after every good swing if it was appropriate.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • It's part of a complete and balanced golf swing.

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • Whatever lets me show off my twirl.

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
I got some playful grief from someone earlier about my current finish and I want some opinions on this. I know mine is a little odd because I can't painlessly decelerate the club, so I'm always looking for the best way to round off my finish in a way that causes as little physical stress as possible. Break at the elbows (irons), twist off at the wrist (driver), whatever.

So how important is your finish to you? Do you practice it? Just as a part of your swing? Do you work for a certain position? Do you care at all?

I've had some great shots come from terrible looking finishes, and some terrible shots come from great looking finishes, so I don't think it reflects how good the shot was at all. With that said, I voted "I want it to look good" because I do strive for a nice, balanced finish. Not really just for the looks, but because It's a good indicator of whether I kept my balance and didn't overswing.

I went with direct reflection but I could’ve easily picked club twirl that shat!

So how important is your finish to you?
Very important as a self check guide.
Do you practice it?
Never. Follow through, finish, are results of what happened prior, not something you "do". A good swing will produce a good finish without thought. Some teachers teach finish with the idea the learner will subconsciously make a swing resulting in those finish positions, but that doesn't work for me. I firmly believe if you make the right backswing, the rest takes care of itself. Finish positions tell me what I did or didn't do in the up swing.
Do you work for a certain position?
I look for certain positions:
hips square to target; trail toes down; trail shoulder down; hands in front of thorax; no flexion in lead wrist.

Haha! This is great! I’m just happy the ball is gone.

Bad finish for me usually is the result of quitting on a swing, and hitting a weak fadey shot. My number one swing thought on irons is “Finish, you $!?&@“

I found out recently that if I don't finish my swing, that ball is going right. So, for me, it's part of a complete swing.

I would guess at the end of the round it is what is on the scorecard that matters. Did you get to the target and hole the ball? That is what will lower your scores. If it requires a perfect follow-through go for it, if not go for it. Do what works for you.

I so wanted to answer the last one.........but I didn't.

Bad finish for me usually is the result of quitting on a swing, and hitting a weak fadey shot. My number one swing thought on irons is “Finish, you $!?&@“

I found out recently that if I don't finish my swing, that ball is going right. So, for me, it's part of a complete swing.

If you mean that as staying committed or following through, that's one of the the things I hear often about a finish. That it's a goal because without commitment to it something along the way seems to get lost and results in a poor shot.

I voted for "the ball is gone". but I do find a good finish can be a sign of a good swing. It is not fool proof though.

I voted for "the ball is gone". but I do find a good finish can be a sign of a good swing. It is not fool proof though.

Definitely not. There is a young guy (high school?) out here right now that has a gorgeous finish. Picturesque. I have not seen him hit a ball more than 75 yards with any club, but he is working the eff out of that finish. lol

I voted direct reflection of how good the shot was, I know that if I don't finish my swing, the ball is going to go right on me. So I like to finish with a good follow thru and turn.

Definitely not. There is a young guy (high school?) out here right now that has a gorgeous finish. Picturesque. I have not seen him hit a ball more than 75 yards with any club, but he is working the eff out of that finish. lol

True, I guess I was speaking for myself.. But that is why I said the ball is gone.

The ball doesn’t care. Why should we?

One of my common swing thoughts is to "Finish High". I have a tendency to short arm a swing and just wack around like the crappy little leaguer that I am. So the finish high reminds me to follow through the ball to target and up to finish. For me, that finish focus, helps me better rotate and get the hips there for the finish. If I don't then I get all arms and hook, slice, muck it all up.

Im not sure if that hogwash, but it's a thought that seems to help way more than hurt my swing.

I could’ve gone with part of a balanced golf swing, but since I struggle with over swinging, I went with direct reflection of how good a shot is. If I have a centered, balanced finish, I’m typically hitting a decent shot, but off-balance usually means I did something I shouldn’t have.

Definitely part of a complete and balanced golf swing. Unfortunately, my golf swing is not always a good example of a good finish position.

I pretty much swing with the finish in mind as it helps me to visualize and then execute the shot I want.

When things go awry, I know I'm capable of some pretty funky finishes!

good finish is important because it forces me to get through the ball and keep speed up all the way through. it has been stressed that I have tendencies to hit the ball but not get through it.

Plus if you dont practice finishing the swing how are you going plaster your picture on the wall of golf course clubhouse when you win the championship! haha;);):p:p

Plus if you dont practice finishing the swing how are you going plaster your picture on the wall of golf course clubhouse*****snip******** haha;);):p:p

There is always the @robrandalgz way......"Caution, this person fails to pay his bills" wanted poster.

I selected part of a well balanced swing, and for me that’s regardless of how the swing looks. I will take a balanced swing over a “pretty” swing that isn’t producing

Back