Goins

"Not too shabby"
Reaction score
The time has come, I'm tired of my driver holding my scores back. I have changed my iron swing and have never hit them better so I am going to do the same with my driver. I have always had a Daly like back swing going beyond parallel and I also lift my left heel off of the ground, I'm a righty. With my irons I narrowed my stance and focus on keeping my left arm straight, I let it bend with the driver. My irons are very straight now and I'm within yards of each swing now allowing me to play to a number with each club. I know you need to see my swing and I will get it up here for you soon. My question is, in the new swing I am narrowing my driver stance just a bit, helps me keep my left foot planted, I'm also keeping my left arm straight and using my wrists to hinge to parallel. My downswing thought and trigger is turn with the shoulders and let my arms just follow. Am I on the right track with this and do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance and I will try to get you video.

Edit: This is what I'm fighting against.

Last edited:
ez-fix

ez-fix

I had a problem w/ over swinging, especially the driver. I saw a video & read about early wrist-cock. It felt odd for about 10 minutes. Basically set the wrists w/ club parallel to ground then turn shoulders. The rest is the same. Easiest and cheapest fix in golf. I still do the early set but have made it more fluid (or my friends just got tired of harassing me). I believe the early set prevents me from rushing the take-away which allows (or forces) me to stop at parallel or less. Try it through a small bucket of range balls. What have you got to lose? When I started the early set my HC was 18. I'm down 6 in less than a year and we don't golf around here in the winter. added info 7/22. Had not checked HC list this week...dropped 1 more stroke!
MY APOLOGIES...I JUST STARTED THIS AND DID NOT REALIZE I HAD WANDERED INTO ASK-THE-PRO. OBVIOUSLY I AM NOT A PRO AND SHOULD HAVE LOOKED CLOSER BEFORE JUMPING IN.

Last edited:
Are you seeing pulls and cuts off of the tee? You are getting long with the turns and that is forcing you to come over the top to allow the arms and hands to catch up. The first step to more consistant shots would be to quiet the low body to the top of the swing. Place a low back chair in front of you *no club needed). Get into posture with your hips about an inch from the back of the chair. Now start making a turn to the top. When you left hip makes contact with the chair stop turning your hips and just turn your shoulders to the top. Try this out and see if this helps quite the turn. Let me know how this goes.

My miss is definately a pull hook to the left. This is the first time I had ever seen my swing on video. It's amazing how short it feels compared to reality. I'll work on the drill for a day or two and get back with you. Thanks for the tips.

Back