merlebo02

Reaction score
Handicap
looking for advice/thoughts/opinions. I have no problem swinging from the inside with my irons but with my driver it's an over the top swing path.. is this normal? any drills to help with developing a swing path from the inside with my driver? I fill like if I don't tee the ball up very high it helps me swing from the inside. When I tee the ball up high and try hitting up on the ball (increase angle of attach) thats when I have trouble coming from the inside..

I have had a bad history with a driver and have started to see progress. During my last lesson, a drill I used was to address the ball with a shoulder tilt to the right (right shoulder is low) and feel like the club head is being pushed away from me when I take it back. I also exaggerate my lean away from the ball at the peak of my back swing. Hold there to make sure I am in position, then swing. It feels very odd but it has help me a lot when actually hitting the ball.

Video yourself taking “full swings” and again swinging at 80%. If the path for 80% looks better then your full swing problem is probably coming from a “kill it” mentality, causing a hit from the top and an OTT move.

Video yourself taking “full swings” and again swinging at 80%. If the path for 80% looks better then your full swing problem is probably coming from a “kill it” mentality, causing a hit from the top and an OTT move.
that makes sense..

Due to the ball position, even given the exact same swing, you should expect your path with a driver to be more left than it is with an iron. However, many people exacerbate this because at address they face the ball, opening their shoulders. You need to be aware your low point is actually 3-4 inches behind the ball and make sure you're square to that.

Due to the ball position, even given the exact same swing, you should expect your path with a driver to be more left than it is with an iron. However, many people exacerbate this because at address they face the ball, opening their shoulders. You need to be aware your low point is actually 3-4 inches behind the ball and make sure you're square to that.
ok this helps make it make sense.. mentally I have struggled to hit from the inside knowing the ball is so far forward and the club shaft being so much longer.. It makes me swing awkwardly when trying to swing from the inside (not natural feeling).

Try looking at a blade of grass (rather than the ball) about 4 inches behind the ball with your driver. That's about where you want your club bottoming out anyway. Don't take your eye off that spot until you've hit the ball. Kinda makes your swing feel like a practice swing when you're actually hitting the ball.

Also, overuse of your arms in the swing (or kill it as stated above) will give you that OTT move. Just start with a 60% swing and try to groove that swing plane by turning your body and shoulders more.

looking for advice/thoughts/opinions. I have no problem swinging from the inside with my irons but with my driver it's an over the top swing path.. is this normal? any drills to help with developing a swing path from the inside with my driver? I fill like if I don't tee the ball up very high it helps me swing from the inside. When I tee the ball up high and try hitting up on the ball (increase angle of attach) thats when I have trouble coming from the inside..
With an iron swing the hands are closer to the body and the trunk is inclined more forward so it is possible that a golfer doesn't feel a a downswing that is outside the backswing. The driver setup has the hands further from the body and the trunk more upright which will feel different to an iron swing and will accentuate the feeling of an outside loop in the swing. Your body is using the same sequence for all our normal full swings. That is how we are programmed.

Try looking at a blade of grass (rather than the ball) about 4 inches behind the ball with your driver. That's about where you want your club bottoming out anyway. Don't take your eye off that spot until you've hit the ball. Kinda makes your swing feel like a practice swing when you're actually hitting the ball.

Also, overuse of your arms in the swing (or kill it as stated above) will give you that OTT move. Just start with a 60% swing and try to groove that swing plane by turning your body and shoulders more.
That is a great cheat for the driver for sure.

Back