SwingByte 2.0 THP Review Thread

So I got the chance to play around really briefly with this on my putter and the results were really eye opening. My brother would always criticize me for having a slice putting stroke and I always just played it off. Well I guess I should probably listen to him more often because the Swingbyte confirmed it. I can already tell you I am happy I purchased this just for the putting aspect alone. I'm looking forward to getting some more time with it soon and will give more feedback along the way.

I've still only been able to use this with putting but it's opened my eyes to something that I hadn't really put much thought in to in the past. I continue to battle an outside to in putting stroke and using my Cleveland putter I am really struggling to fix the issue. I decided to take out 6 of my other putters just to see if I would get different results. They varied from plumbers neck, flow neck and double bend. Using the plumbers neck and double bend putters I saw similar results, a slice. When I went to the flow neck I started straightening it out from a slice to a fade so there was some improvement. Now, this putter (Scotty Laguna 1.5) is the one that I have always just had an attraction to so it could be a mental thing for me which brought positive results. It is also my only flow neck putter so I can't really test it against other flow necks to see if it is indeed mental.

The overall point of my rambling is, having the Swingbyte to test out has opened my eyes to what may work best for my stroke clubs wise. I wish I had an Iphone so I could get the tips to help improve my stroke but I'll keep working on it for now. So far I am really liking being able to track any progress and try different things out and see how it affects the performance. I'm hoping to get to the simulator this week and give an update on some full swings.

Well my performance at the simulator was depressing. The Swingbyte worked great, I only used it about a dozen times but I had no issues with it slipping or coming off. It opened my eyes to how over the top my swing is. I knew I had that issue but this really gives a good idea of how bad it is.
lxxCSy0YC1PLla1c4vBwHbzrfV4HwHgLRC0g755PCRTYIeKktOiAYL5Xq_cRXlANnMXv=w2881-h5118-no

Looks like I have some work to do. I'm really happy that I bought this, it's giving me a good representation of what is going on in my swing. Thanks to the help of this I have also been able to take my putting stroke from a slice to straight. I'm looking forward to some more sessions with it!

More frustrations for me.

I tried the swing coach mode with putter and got this message
83693d21dfb104bf0365c9b16d72ef89.jpg

I switched to practice mode. I was putting 15 foot putts with a Cleveland 2135 putter and Srixon Z Star balls on my carpet with my phone 6 feet away. The device didn't record any swings. It was definitely powered on and synced to the phone.

I readjusted the factors to do 10 foot putts with the phone immediately adjacent to the ball. Still nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the flip side, I previously was having problems getting the videos to play properly. I was running a very old version of IOS, 7 something. I updated to 9.2 and the videos starting working great.

I have also had that issue occasionally where it doesn't register my putts. I usually end up having to restart my phone completely. I think it has happened twice to me.

How does the SB 2 compare with SkyCaddie swing analyzer?

How does the SB 2 compare with SkyCaddie swing analyzer?

Sorry, but I don't have any experience with SkyCaddie, perhaps one of the other guys does.

More frustrations for me.

I tried the swing coach mode with putter and got this message
83693d21dfb104bf0365c9b16d72ef89.jpg

Swing coach in beta only works with full swings.

I watched this video. It talked about path of takeaway and how this way is consistent with a one plane swing. It sounded a lot like something my instructor use to work on with me. While I didn't do any drills, I kept the visual of the take away angle in mind and made a conscious effort to swing on that path. It felt weird - way inside -but I saw significant improvement in my ball flight - straight to pull/draws instead of mostly fades + dead pulls. Also, although the OTT was very likely still there it wasn't so pronounced that I could feel it.

92d69b1ede469b990a79a5ca0d80a63f.jpg

More time spent with the Swingbyte the last few days at the range and I'm still really impressed with this product. No issues with hardware or Bluetooth connections. The data seems accurate to what the ball is doing in flight but most importantly it's accurate from swing to swing which all that matters sometimes.

Email report and analytics page is nice.
P

Driver history from this mornings session. Been using the thumbs up for Good flighted shots. Note that it can't see the ball leaving the face and it doesn't know where on the club face the ball struck, so even a hooked shot as measured by SB, if it came of the heel side it may be straight.

I've been plagued by an over the top downswing which results in poor strikes and consistent shots, and poor dynamic lie delivery.

So I used an Andrew Rice video today which gets you to throw the arms out to flatten the shaft on the downswing. Really great for me btw which slightly turn the downswing hand plane more on a single plane, which also gets me feeling like I'm hitting more from the inside after which has got me best ball striking session I've seen for a while.
http://youtu.be/CYqoDN9n0G0

New downswing

Putting mode was another eye opener as I had no idea how open my putter face was and how out to in my path was. I found the really helpful video from Andy Gorman on Rick Shiels channel which help with setup, hitting up on the ball to promote a better roll and swinging on an in-to-square-to-in arc path.
http://youtu.be/uw5HLp9G5RY

I have had no issues of the claspe coming loose or breaking, though you can't be too rough with it and need to make sure the lock is slid to closed.

Now for a couple of improvements
The on/off button is too easily pressed to off when aligning the unit if it twists after a fat shot.
The power lights should be on the top where the alignment mark is to make them easier to see/check that the unit is still powered up.
There should be a setting where you can change the angle if attack value to the industry standard of Trackman.

All in all I'm enjoying being measured and seeing changes in numbers as I fine tune my swing and putting.

Last edited:
I was able to get another range session in over lunch today and it did not go very well. The clasp was coming undone every other shot. I tried it on 4 different clubs and got the same result every time. Unfortunately I got to the point where I quit using it which is really too bad because on the swings it actually stays on it gives such great information. This is a great tool if they can come up with a solution. I'm wondering if I can get a hose clamp to manually clamp it to the club and get it to stay. That would be somewhat tedious when switching to different clubs but at this point it can only be used on the putter.

NewGlfr -

Thanks for the feedback. I think I understand most of what you're saying but I'm not getting the full picture. Would you be able to jump on a phone call to tell us a little more? That would be most helpful. I'll send you a DM to set it up.

Hi PCSB, can you explain the Swing speed rank in analytics? Is it a percentile rank of all the users?
Capture2.jpg

Last edited:
I have also had that issue occasionally where it doesn't register my putts. I usually end up having to restart my phone completely. I think it has happened twice to me.

Hey All -

Happy to hear the feedback on putting. If putts aren't registering, try re-calibrating your Swingbyte. When I switch clubs to my putter, in the app, i always recalibrate before I putt. It usually helps.

Hi PCSB, can you explain the Swing speed rank in analytics? Is it a percentile rank of all the users?
View attachment 23237

Yes, it's comparing you to all Swingbyte users and it's supposed to represent the percentile of your fastest swing compared to all others. When the plot line for a club moves up it means that you've achieved a faster swing than your previous fastest swing for that club. Hopefully that makes sense.

I picked up one of these today at Golf Galaxy. Immediately went to the range to try it out. One my 11th swing the attachment broke off and flew out into the range. Once I was finished with my bucket I immediately went back to Golf Galaxy to return it.

I think I got some good information from what little I was able to use it but I was afraid the thing was going to come off so I think it was impacting my swing subconsciously.

I took this to the simulator again this week and figured out a way to jimmy rig it, a zip tie. It's a little bit of a pain having to cut off the tie whenever I switch clubs but for the most part it worked. There were a couple of times where the unit still slipped and twisted on the shaft but it was better than it always popping open. Definitely not ideal but at least it's a way to be able to use it.

Took the SB2 out for another range session this afternoon. Used it on 25+ swings, 5 driver and the rest 7 iron. This was by far my best range session with the SB2.

GOOD :
- No latch issues, but did have to realign and replace the alignment/cover a few times. Based on everybody else's experience, I consider myself pretty fortunate.

- The SB2 performed as designed. I could hear it "ding" on each swing. Some of the shots I during my range session were called hook by the SB2 when I reviewed my shots. Not so sure I agree. Next time I plan on bringing out a notebook to note the shot type (Slice, Fade, Straight, Draw, or Hook) to confirm or deny.

- My focus today was not to "forward press" when starting my swing. I was able to see when I didn't and when I did. Also, I have a bad tendency to close my face at address. I was able to see that for most swings, I kept the face square at address and the results confirmed that.

BAD?:
- On my iPhone 6s Plus, I still cannot hit the "play" button to play my swing sequence. I have to drag the "play" button for it to work. PCSB, can you check on that?

- I do find the SB2 a bit distracting. Similar to feeling/noticing someone recording your swing. I think that has to do with having to make sure it's aligned after each swing.

UGLY :
- Nothing.

Did anyone else get a little something in the mail?

A sleeve of Q Stars.

Finally got out for some range time yesterday before the big game. Got warmed up and set straight to hitting driver with the swingbyte.

Performance wise, the device functioned flawlessly. Picked up every swing and had no issues with the app registering them as I worked through my progression.

Fired up the virtual coach and swung my baseline swings. Gave me this:

BDC663D5-DD5C-406E-914C-ADB603ED86C0_zpsu2rkd50g.png

So I set to watching the first drill video (there was only one), and trying to work on that. It's the basic 'hold the club in front of you and bend at the hips' stance alignment drill. Easy enough right? Boy was I wrong. I couldn't get the thing to read over 50 on a score at all. Don't know if I was having a bad day or what. Needless to say this was a bit frustrating for me and I decided to shut it down before ingraining something bad. Removed the Swingbyte, then took another few swings for sanity's sake. After 4 or 5 swings I was hitting pretty good shots, which probably points to it being more mental, which makes sense as driver is by far my most mental club (meaning I'm mental about hitting it :D). Finished the range session with some wedges, half irons shots and called it a day.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the tech. I also believe that there's some merit to the swing to swing stats. The data is super cool if you're interested in things like swing path, face to address/path, etc. Which I definitely am. On the virtual coach perspective though, it's been hit or miss for me a bit. I think that for someone who's inconsistent there's the propensity here for information overload as every swing issue seems to have multiple videos, which could could give someone golftipitis if not used in moderation.

While I don't think using Virtual Coach exclusively is necessarily 100% for me, I could see this being a useful supplement to standard lessons.

One feature that I just somehow found is the ability to have the virtual coach analyze a single swing taken during practice mode. The way I usually practice I could see this being handy for me and will be sure to give it a shot next time out.

I need to get this out on the range again for some analysis, it's always in my bag, just don't remember to get it out.

Back