Switch to Mid-size grips?

Go get fitted or hit a set of clubs that have midsize grips. I got fitted for irons and switched to midsize grips and never looked back. Made my swing more effortless.
This is where my head's at with this. My birthday is right around the corner so I am looking to go do a full bag fitting and I'm hoping they take a look at grips. I have a smaller hand and use standard grips (I think). But I do have the feeling on my driver that I don't get a solid grip on the club. Maybe this might help me with a little better club face control

Grip size might be the most underrated aspect of club fitting, when it very well might be the most impactful for your game. Don't worry about SW, get the grip that feels right, then need be you can change head weight if it's an issue. Having a consistent SW through the set is way more important than hitting a specific SW number.

Midsize is a great option for a lot of players, even playing with the taper of the grip has helped tremendously for a few I know. I’ve made multiple build ups to get rid of tapers on CP2’s and have had good success with playability with players with arthritis issues of sorts. For women golfers as well I find I rarely see any that fit to a “ladies” standard grip.

From a swing perspective, generally lessens some rotation of the clubhead, so if you fight a hook, sometimes it can help. Band-aid fix, but some.

The grip build up tape doesn't weigh anything? I'd bet the total weight of the build up tape and the std. grip is almost as much as the midsize grip.

The grip build up tape doesn't weigh anything? I'd bet the total weight of the build up tape and the std. grip is almost as much as the midsize grip.
Typically slightly less, have never been a fan of chasing SW on a grip change 4g is a SW point on the butt end roughly most can’t tell unless between clubs in a set say 1/2 changed 1/2 not. Becomes really noticeable on the types of grips intentionally counter balanced or say a JumboMax that is some roughly 40g above normal.

Sure. But not enough to alter by more than about a point on my sw scale.
Man, disappointing. I see that the GP site no longer even provides basic information about their grips such as grip weight.
Does everything have to be so damn dumbed-down in society? Sheesh!

I've been contemplating this as well. I've always played standards, but recently grabbed a club that had a few extra layers of tape on it and just felt more comfortable.

Made me wonder if Midsize might help as well.

I've been playing the MCC +4's for a few years now and love them. I doubt I'll ever go back to a standard sized grip.

Sure. But not enough to alter by more than about a point on my sw scale.
Man, disappointing. I see that the GP site no longer even provides basic information about their grips such as grip weight.
Does everything have to be so damn dumbed-down in society? Sheesh!

Go to the Golfworks site. They’ll have all the specs. BTW they often offer a deal on the Crossline Plus for Buy 9 Get 4. Best deal around right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no set rule for grip sizes. I hang out with plenty of good players with large hands that prefer standard size grips, and guys with small hands that love jumbo's.

Go with what ever size feels right & works for you.

I'm playing midsize tour wraps on my Pings, but my driver and blade irons have standard size tour wraps.

I like the slightly less tapered grips, like a Sonar Standard grip.

The answer is it depends. I would suggest adding a mid-size grip to your driver and play with it for a while to understand how it may impact your swing, rather than doing your whole set-up and finding you can't turn your hands over with the larger grips.

I played standard size grips for 38 years before switching to midsize a few years ago. The midsize fit my hands much better and standard feel strange to me now. It made no difference in my index or shot shape.

For most old-style rubber grips (not the newer squishy-soft types) I've found that getting to the same finished diameter using a "standard" grip and buildup tape will weigh a couple grams less than using a "midsized' grip. If the "midsize" grip is 63g I've usually gotten to that size with "standard" plus tape and it weighs maybe 60g or 61g.

In other words, about the same effect on weight either way. A couple grams at the grip end is pretty much negligible.

I love playing midsize grips. Tried Midsize +4 and the bottom felt just a hair too thick for me, went back to regular midsize and built the bottom up +2 and feels much better. I think it helps ease my grip so it's not as tight, along with removing a couple hooks that tend to creep up from time to time.

Btw I have a set of the Crossline Plus standard size that I ordered by accident (wanted midsize) and waited too long to return them. For sale in the classified section.

Go to the Golfworks site. They’ll have all the specs. BTW they often offer a deal on the Crossline Plus for Buy 9 Get 4. Best deal around right now.

Thanks. I make these comments in hoping companies like Golf Pride are paying attention on this site and take notice that some of us aren't terribly impressed with the "streamlining" of info going on in the golf biz marketing and product info. We really shouldn't have to go to another website to get that basic info.

Crossline? Is that a Lamkin? ;):eek:

It’s all about personal preference, in my opinion. So many different approaches. I just went and held on to the samples and bought one to try... I think it was 6 different grips that I tested before landing firmly on the MCC+4, which I’ve got on all my swing clubs except for my 56 and 60 wedges (Tour velvet).

Feel and confidence are so important here, for me anyway. I wear a Large glove.

Cadet large glove person. Played for years with standard grips with slightly built up lower hand. Arthritis in fingers and the tension made for discomfort and inconsistency. Went to Golf Pride cp2 wrap midsize and can say it’s much better.

Thanks. I make these comments in hoping companies like Golf Pride are paying attention on this site and take notice that some of us aren't terribly impressed with the "streamlining" of info going on in the golf biz marketing and product info. We really shouldn't have to go to another website to get that basic info.

Crossline? Is that a Lamkin? ;):eek:

Yes the Crossline Plus is a Golfworks exclusive. Really like the tackiness, grip, simplicity of design and graphics (just the name) and the reduced taper. And a great price, 13 grips for under $70 shipped.

Yes the Crossline Plus is a Golfworks exclusive. Really like the tackiness, grip, simplicity of design and graphics (just the name) and the reduced taper. And a great price, 13 grips for under $70 shipped.

Honestly, I'm just sticking to the MCC's as they still make them after all these years and I don't want to change.
"Exclusive" stuff doesn't always stick around long. Too much change in this world for me sometimes!
Sounds like a good deal though. (y)

I've always used mid size grips with 2 extra wraps on my clubs. For me, it is more comfortable and takes my hands out of the swing equation. I recently put a JumboMax XL grip on my driver, and so far like the results - the ball is going straighter, and I've gained some distance too

I recall a popular myth that fatter grips would cause most players to slice the ball - but have not experienced this at all since changing from a standard to midsize ... and the slice was always my achilles. I'm a fan of the thicker grips.

I've been fighting a hook for years. I went to a midsize grip on my irons this year. Friday i took out my utility iron for which I had two shafts: a graphite with a standard grip and a steel with a standard + 3. One thing I noticed with the standard grip is that I tend to regrip the club and close the face in the transition, but I don't do that with the standard + 3 which is close to a midsize. So in went the steel shaft for the utility iron. I just feel more comfortable with the larger grip.

so the fitting charts don't help me too much. with a regular grip my fingers don't crunch together and with a mid-size I don't suddenly see a gap. If I go jumbo I see small gap.

For me this is the trick. I need to feel like the club is in my small left hand pinky and next two fingers;;; not in left palm. I thought for years it was about comfort and now I'm thinking ability of the left hand to guide the club through impact. I still fight the trail hand taking over my swing and the bigger grip might help a little with that but instead of thinking what my trail hand should not do I find it more powerful to think about what my lead hand should do.

Back