TaylorMade M3 Irons

RibCOR

RibCOR

I'm definitely convinced the RibCOR is legit. I can normally fall out of bed and hit a 5-10 yard fade...but with the M3's I am "penalized" with the dreaded straight ball when I was expecting a fade...

Flash forward to having played the M3's for 8 months and they've helped me to drop my scores by 3+ shots per round. I find more greens and I'm closer the pin now. I've made some changes to my driver that is putting me in the fairway a little more too, but I still have to put the ball on the green.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Totally agree about RibCOR. Both the M3's and M4's just seem just go straight. It's incredible. And all of this time I kept thinking that the super big Wilsons were the irons for me. As matter of fact, I now think that the Wilsons had too much offset for me because most of my iron shots were pulled left. I was pleasantly surprised to see how quickly I could adapt to the smaller M3's. No more lefts. Sure....I'll need to be more focused on my swings with the M3 but that's a good thing. It will just take a while to get accustomed to the M3's like all new clubs.

The M3's just fly long and straight. Good stuff.

Yep......I'm not real crazy about the looks of the new M5/M6 irons. I've watched every darn YouTube review on them. While most say the M5/M6 sound better, I don't find the sound of the M3's all that annoying.

M3's are much better looking irons IMHO. Even the badge in the cavity looks good.

In my humble opinion (and for my game), straight is good! I don't try to work the ball a whole lot. I just want to get it on the green ASAP.

To switch gears, I noticed Stevie that you don't play the M3 A wedge. Is that because you never had it or didn't care for it? It's the one thing about the look of the set I don't like. The sole looks flatter and sharper to me than the other clubs for some reason.
My set didn't gave the AW...but it did have the SW. I never played the SW because of the look and because I really like the 56* wedge I already was using (Cleveland RTX 2.0).

The AW would be about the same as my 52* wedge so...I won't be buying one.

I have been considering buying the 3iron, but I have a hybrid that I play just fine.

Yep......I'm not real crazy about the looks of the new M5/M6 irons. I've watched every darn YouTube review on them. While most say the M5/M6 sound better, I don't find the sound of the M3's all that annoying.

M3's are much better looking irons IMHO. Even the badge in the cavity looks good.

I agree. The 'speed bridge' in the new TM irons spooks me. I feel like those things are going to crack, like they did with the Adams XTD irons when they tried a similar tech. Those whip smart engineers probably figured it out, though.

My set didn't gave the AW...but it did have the SW. I never played the SW because of the look and because I really like the 56* wedge I already was using (Cleveland RTX 2.0).

The AW would be about the same as my 52* wedge so...I won't be buying one.

I have been considering buying the 3iron, but I have a hybrid that I play just fine.

I thought I remember you saying you're hitting the 4 iron 240+, would you get the 3 so you could just take all the woods out of your bag? :wink:

I thought I remember you saying you're hitting the 4 iron 240+, would you get the 3 so you could just take all the woods out of your bag? :wink:
Yep...4iron is getting out 220+, so I was thinking the 3iron would be a great stinger. I'm sure at some point I'll get one.... lol

My big nemesis in golf is my iron play. Ever since that thing hit me several years ago (age) I've been trying to get my game back on track. Anymore I hit a good drive and just hope that my iron will get it somewhere close so I can get my short game into play. I have never had a of Taylormade irons in the last 15 years so this was a big jump for me. The other iron I hit very well was the P790, but I thought since my "thing" is not going to get any better, I might as well have most forgiveness and STILL have a players type of iron. I did like the results of the M3 with the KBS shafts but as often as I play, I knew that at some point things were going to start hurting. My set goes from 4-AW so I'm kind of hoping that I can replace my hybrid. If not, no problem. I also got these on a 30 day T&E, so if they don't work out no problem but I don't see why they wouldn't.

I also tried the M5 and really wasn't crazy about the looks and the undercut cavity. I also noticed that the M5 didn't have any face slots. Don't know why but I really think that they helped with the off-center vibrations.

Players Iron

Players Iron

My big nemesis in golf is my iron play. Ever since that thing hit me several years ago (age) I've been trying to get my game back on track. Anymore I hit a good drive and just hope that my iron will get it somewhere close so I can get my short game into play. I have never had a of Taylormade irons in the last 15 years so this was a big jump for me. The other iron I hit very well was the P790, but I thought since my "thing" is not going to get any better, I might as well have most forgiveness and STILL have a players type of iron. I did like the results of the M3 with the KBS shafts but as often as I play, I knew that at some point things were going to start hurting. My set goes from 4-AW so I'm kind of hoping that I can replace my hybrid. If not, no problem. I also got these on a 30 day T&E, so if they don't work out no problem but I don't see why they wouldn't.

I also tried the M5 and really wasn't crazy about the looks and the undercut cavity. I also noticed that the M5 didn't have any face slots. Don't know why but I really think that they helped with the off-center vibrations.

It's funny you should mention that this is a big jump for you. It is for me too. I have always played the oversized Wilsons for the past 20 years and I thought it was finally time to play a better looking but a bit less forgiving iron. Like you, age is a factor for me as well and it's time to go with graphites to soften the mishits on the hands, elbows, and my case the shoulder as well.

I'm really looking forward to your results since we have some things in common with the upgrade to M3's.

Actually as far as price, the M3's are a bargain right now with the M5/M6 line of irons to go above the $1,000 mark.

On a work trip for a week and this thread blew up awesome!

I don’t think you can go wrong with the Tensei shafts. If I was in Arizona still I would have loved them since they would hold greens better with the high flight. Up here in Washington it was just too much (sure looked pretty in the air though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M3 vs M4 Iron

M3 vs M4 Iron

On a work trip for a week and this thread blew up awesome!

I don’t think you can go wrong with the Tensei shafts. If I was in Arizona still I would have loved them since they would hold greens better with the high flight. Up here in Washington it was just too much (sure looked pretty in the air though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Guys,
Really enjoying this thread. But for me I think Ill be moving to the M4 thread.

The last few days I've hit at least 150 balls on the range off real turf using just the M3 and M4 irons. I LOVE the looks of the M3 iron and tried desperately to have it win me over.
I guess the fact that I'm a senior with a slower swing speed than many of you, the M3 just couldn't match the forgiveness of the M4 iron. Not sure.
I honestly tried to "dislike" the M4 dues to its greater offset and thicker topline but it proved itself again and again being much more forgiving than the M3.

The M4 with the stock KSB 85 steel shaft produced very high ball flights which I really like for my irons. But was most impressive is that 90% of the shots with the M4 were straight as an arrow. Sure, the mishits don't go the height or distance as good shots but they were straight except for an occasional pull. But that's me, not the club.
For whatever reason, that KSB 85 shaft works great for me. I'm sure it's too light for most of you guys at 85 grams. But for me it seems to the winner.

Thanks for all your advice on the M3 irons and I'm sure it's a great iron for each of you. I'll keep tuned to this thread just to see how it all works out for those of you new to the M3.

I envy you guys to be able to play the M3. I'm just over my head with the M3. It would be stupid of me to think that I'm not better off with a more forgiving M4.
Bottom line....a better scorecard beats the prettier irons.

Thanks again.

Got my M3's and now just waiting for the weather to break. Never played a Tensei shaft so I don't know too much about it, but if there are issues, they will be replaced with Recoils. I'm also going to put aside my hybrid and use the M3 4i in it's place for now. Haven't hit a 4i in so long don't know the results until I do, but at setup it begs to be hit so we'll see.

Got my M3's and now just waiting for the weather to break. Never played a Tensei shaft so I don't know too much about it, but if there are issues, they will be replaced with Recoils. I'm also going to put aside my hybrid and use the M3 4i in it's place for now. Haven't hit a 4i in so long don't know the results until I do, but at setup it begs to be hit so we'll see.

Let me know what you think! I think the M3s pair so well with graphite in terms of feel. The 4 iron became one of my favorite clubs when I had the i25s and this is the first set since that made me want the club back in my bag.

Let me know what you think! I think the M3s pair so well with graphite in terms of feel. The 4 iron became one of my favorite clubs when I had the i25s and this is the first set since that made me want the club back in my bag.

In the brief time that I hit these around the yard, 20-30 yard pitches, it really feels muted when hit just right and still feels good when it's off center. I really do like the looks of the iron at set-up. To be honest, I had a tough time between the M3/M4 but ultimately went with the M3 just because of the less offset. I'm hoping it's not a mistake on my part because I have a tendency to go with my heart instead of my head. Taking these out tomorrow, on the range and hit a few balls cold weather or not.

In the brief time that I hit these around the yard, 20-30 yard pitches, it really feels muted when hit just right and still feels good when it's off center. I really do like the looks of the iron at set-up. To be honest, I had a tough time between the M3/M4 but ultimately went with the M3 just because of the less offset. I'm hoping it's not a mistake on my part because I have a tendency to go with my heart instead of my head. Taking these out tomorrow, on the range and hit a few balls cold weather or not.
1 suggestion / recommendation....focus on making a good swing and not trying to overpower it.

Took a few irons out to the range and hit off the grass and I immediately knew when I bladed my PW it was going to be a bad day. Went through 5-7-9 irons without much luck. Oh they went up nice but the feel was harsh and very clicky. I really thought that I could handle these irons even though the offset is less than the Callaway Apex Pro and the P790. Come to find out, that I can't. I must have hit a couple of dozen balls and everything felt the same. Looking at the face strike the majority were center/low center but I really couldn't get much out of them. Either my swing speed(graphite Tensei shafts R flex)- was too low/way to little offset or a combination of both. I thought that these irons would be perfect match but I have to be honest and say I was wrong. Great looking irons, the near perfect set-up was what got me excited, but with the results I got these irons unfortunately are not for me or my swing.

Took a few irons out to the range and hit off the grass and I immediately knew when I bladed my PW it was going to be a bad day. Went through 5-7-9 irons without much luck. Oh they went up nice but the feel was harsh and very clicky. I really thought that I could handle these irons even though the offset is less than the Callaway Apex Pro and the P790. Come to find out, that I can't. I must have hit a couple of dozen balls and everything felt the same. Looking at the face strike the majority were center/low center but I really couldn't get much out of them. Either my swing speed(graphite Tensei shafts R flex)- was too low/way to little offset or a combination of both. I thought that these irons would be perfect match but I have to be honest and say I was wrong. Great looking irons, the near perfect set-up was what got me excited, but with the results I got these irons unfortunately are not for me or my swing.
Soooo.....giving up after 1 range session?

Soooo.....giving up after 1 range session?

Nope, playing this weekend should have mid 60's temperatures. To be honest I was very disappointed. Nothing at all wrong with the irons, just maybe the operator can't handle them. We'll see Sunday!

Nope, playing this weekend should have mid 60's temperatures. To be honest I was very disappointed. Nothing at all wrong with the irons, just maybe the operator can't handle them. We'll see Sunday!
For what it's worth, my first range session with my M3's didn't go to well either.... A majority of that was due to the terrible range/tee area, but I hit alot of poor shots regardless.

You'll get it down, just give them a chance.

For what it's worth, my first range session with my M3's didn't go to well either.... A majority of that was due to the terrible range/tee area, but I hit alot of poor shots regardless.

You'll get it down, just give them a chance.

I was actually thrown off a lot by the change in offset compared to most. The M3s have less than I would expect for what they are. I am waiting for our crappy weather to go away so I can get back on the range.

I was actually thrown off a lot by the change in offset compared to most. The M3s have less than I would expect for what they are. I am waiting for our crappy weather to go away so I can get back on the range.
The offset wasn't an issue for me, even though the M3's had less offset than my Rocketbladez. As I went back and looked at my first range session (way back in this thread if anyone is interested...), I commented about the lie angle feeling wrong and that possibly being why I had a bad session. Kinda ironic now that I look back.....

The offset wasn't an issue for me, even though the M3's had less offset than my Rocketbladez. As I went back and looked at my first range session (way back in this thread if anyone is interested...), I commented about the lie angle feeling wrong and that possibly being why I had a bad session. Kinda ironic now that I look back.....

I know you play yours just a "little" upright lol.

I know you play yours just a "little" upright lol.
Hahaha...in all honesty, only 2* over standard - so not all that upright

Snow is melting finally so I will be trying to hit the range this weekend. Really looking forward to testing these at the store against the new TM M5/6 irons as well as the Cobra F9s.

Back