Team Golf Formats - Which one do you excel in and Why?

To be honest, I have never played a shamble. I've played scrambles. I have played several alternate shot rounds and events but all were with the same partner, someone who played a similar game that I did as far as ball flight.

I really like singles as I am a grinder and a competitor and can and will remain focused until the match is over. That said, I do not like singles where no strokes are involved.

I’d play you as a 16. I feel good about that number for my current abilities. I’m as likely to be 70’s as I am 100’s. I’ve got multiple rounds in each place. If I keep it in play I’m a damn good 16. If every other tee shot sucks, I’m the worst 16 you’ll meet.

I need to play and practice more. That 16 shouldn’t have a 1 in front of it. I’m hard to HC as I’ve now had rounds in the 60’s-100’s this year.

I can tell you on the first tee at least what my HC is for the day.

Health issues and how they are managed tells me that. I can tell you if I’m shooting 72 or 102 and probably be very close at the first tee.

But if I laugh off any bet, watch out. I’d be called a sandbagger for taking it. But if you see me on my off days..... it ain’t pretty.

I enjoy golf in any format. Scrambles are fun because they take the pressure off and it's easy to just go out there, relax and have a good time (especially 4-man scrambles). I'm not a huge contributor in a shamble because I'm not a long hitter, so if I'm paired with a stick we'll be using a lot of their drives. Alt shot can be fun because of the pressure and intensity it creates (if you like that kind of thing), but you only get to play half the course. Singles are good because I get lots of pops. :LOL:

I do well in scrambles and best ball. I've become very reliable for and comfortable with making the needed shots, and when given an opening, I love going for it. I think I like singles the best, however.

I don't think I've ever played alt shot ... maybe in 2016 but I was so new to golf, nervous, and distracted by other things going on that I can't recall. It's possible.

I enjoy golf in any format. Scrambles are fun because they take the pressure off and it's easy to just go out there, relax and have a good time (especially 4-man scrambles). I'm not a huge contributor in a shamble because I'm not a long hitter, so if I'm paired with a stick we'll be using a lot of their drives. Alt shot can be fun because of the pressure and intensity it creates (if you like that kind of thing), but you only get to play half the course. Singles are good because I get lots of pops. :LOL:

That was the only drawback to Alt Shot-except the pressure of it all-you only hit half the shots. I’d prefer a format where you still hit the shot even if it won’t count. Especially on a nice course, it’s hard not to want to play every inch of it.

I love scramble, means I can be really aggressive with my shots

I love alternate shot and 4 ball matches. I've never played in a Shamble and try to avoid scrambles more than once a year. I enjoy singles as long as there are no sandbaggers.

I excel at most formats if I play off of an 18 handicap, but unfortunately, I am not an 18 hcp. I don’t have much experience in any format except singles and I don’t think I excel at that format, but I am comfortable playing in a match. Most of our team events are just best ball.

The few times I have played shamble and modified alt-shot, I have had a blast and look forward to the opportunity in the MC. I have never played true alt-shot.

I love scramble, means I can be really aggressive with my shots
Scrambles are fun to play the strategy like that. Have one person put a safe shot in play and let everybody else take the hero shots!

A couple guys I used to play with regularly always wanted to play alternate formats rather than just stroke play. It was usually 9 holes of scramble and 9 holes of either best ball or alt shot. One of them was around a 28 handicap (realistically a 30+) and the other was around a 14-15, he was super competitive and hated to lose at anything. He'd get bent if he didn't win a chipping contest at the tee markers while we were waiting for the group ahead of us to clear. I never admitted it out loud, but it messed with my head when we'd play scramble on the front 9 and any other format on the back 9. Scramble is pretty loose and you can not care about your shots as much, then all of a sudden it goes to best ball or alt shot and every shot matters, so you have to buckle down. I always liked it more to get the more intense format out of the way first, then relax on the back 9 with the scramble - but I'd never admit that to them because then they would've always put scramble first just for any little edge it might give them. My regular partner and I beat them about 9 out of 10 times, so they were desperate for anything they could get.

Love it Snowman!

I usually put up my score on the front and then limp (wimp?) home on the back.

That’s only if I leave your namesake at home on the first hole though, lol. I have a lot of 8’s on the first hole. When I dont, look out.

I excel in formats where my drives don't matter as much since I'm not that long and struggle with that the most, but I find myself to play well in singles, with my short game I can usually hang in a match no matter what.

As a 11 hdcp I like the shamble format. I only hit the ball 220 off the tee but I average 5 fairways a round. Thats pretty good for my playing partner who can hopefully hit it farther than me and we will have a nice wedge in. Once we get on the green anything can happen, I usually make everything inside of 3 ft :oops:

I am obviously not great at any of them. I mean, look at my Morgan Cup record last year. 😂

I did have a hole in one in a scramble event once.

Shamble is probably my favorite. I like that it gives everyone a good chance of being in the hole. I think it's more fun and probably no slower than fourball.

That said, I also think it's probably a format I excel. Long but a little wild off the tee means that if paired with fairway finder we have a shot of either being closer to the green or having a longer shot from the fairway. Scramble really seems to more favor the lucky than the bold. Foursomes is bit rougher with decent chance a team is in the pocket off the tee. Pinehurst resolves that, buy them issues with pops occur.

I also excelled at singles. Like above states, my scores are usually caused by miscues off the tee. Since I can dial it back off the tee I can usually par a person to death.

I've had the best luck in best ball of all the team formats, but probably enjoy Pinehurst/Chapman the most. Love the alternate shot aspect with the "training wheels" of letting both players tee off.

Surprisingly I really enjoyed modified alternate shot. It was my first time playing the format but the pressure / strategy was fun and I was playing with some incredible guys

I wouldn’t same I’m a great scramble player because I play too much cart golf. 😆 It’s just engrained! That said, I’m more of a par/double kind of golfer than bogey/bogey, so maybe scramble is my strong suit 🤔

Surprisingly I really enjoyed modified alternate shot. It was my first time playing the format but the pressure / strategy was fun and I was playing with some incredible guys

who was your alt shot pards last year?

Alt shot because of the strategy and it exposes your character as a partner and as a player. Tough format but awesome!

Alt shot because of the strategy and it exposes your character as a partner and as a player. Tough format but awesome!

Remember THP Ambition bud? Good times!!!

That was a lot of fun. The pressure and strategy was so different than normal and it was a great group.

Singles is probably my best, which isn't really a team format but its listed. I'd say scramble after that. If I get to watch a partner hit a putt before me, I can generally make quite a few putts.

I am a Schamble and scramble all star. I usually have a little trouble on the tee box so having the chance to rely on my partner/s shot off the tee really helps my game when I am spraying it around with the driver.

I also don’t mind playing Alt shot. I am can think and manage my way around a golf course. And when my partner puts me in a bad spot I don’t care because I usually put myself in worst spots when I play my own ball anyway.

Back